project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
26 Mar 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2008-03-10, 18:51   #31
Jonny

I cant just edit the chevrons to be correct yet, I need to work out what position on the screen will make it work correctly.

700m zeros are going to look crap on the (many) smaller maps, even 500m is pushing it with those.

I think the ranges should be:
pistols < carbine(iron)/field assault(iron) < carbine(aimpoint) < SAW < field assault(scope) < battle < DMR/.50 < sniper
with a few exceptions in special cases like the AK47(250m) and mosin(400m).
The ranges I am thinking of ATM are:
25 < 50 < 150 < 250 < 300 < 400 < 500 < 600
Last edited by Jonny; 2008-03-10 at 18:59..
Old 2008-03-10, 23:41   #32
Smegburt_funkledink

Your work all seems very promising but I'm just thinking about method's you'll use to adjust sight in-game. I read the possibility that you'd be hoping to free up weapons slots to accompany long range or CQC settings.
Would it be possible to set the "zero" key to the "change view" key as this is not used on foot. You would then need to scroll through your ranges, with a max of around 6 presses?
Or do you chaps have a better idea?
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 00:08   #33
Mosquill
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Jonny, how realistic your ballistics are? If they are real enaugh, then I can just use my ballistics calculator to find the most optimal zeroing range.
Mosquill is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 00:21   #34
Eddiereyes909
Retired Forum Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Eddiereyes909 Send a message via MSN to Eddiereyes909

the AK zeroed to 250 meters?

arent most AK shots at around 60 meters at most? or is that just me being a crappy insurgent.

"You know we've had to imagine the war here, and we have imagined that it was being fought by aging men like ourselves. We had forgotten that wars were fought by babies. When I saw those freshly shaved faces, it was a shock "My God, my God?" I said to myself. "It's the Children's Crusade."- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughter House Five
Eddiereyes909 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 09:57   #35
Jonny

The balistics are as realistic as the engine allows, which is a drag force proportional to the projectiles velocity.

How long does it take to change the angle on an existing animation, Mosquill? It might be good if you made them all and then just changed the angle once we decide the final ranges to zero to.

Smeg:
you dont re-zero weapons in the field, if there are multiple zero ranges you will see them all and have to choose the correct one probably. Just like the ACOG scope, but it will work.
Jonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 12:55   #36
Wyspa

Well John I have placed Status Report on R-Con & R-Dev forum... but if you whant to I'll place a list of weapons here too:
Sako TRG 22
Dragunov SWD
PK
Wist-94
wz.96 Beryl in 3 versions (wz.96/04 ; wz.96/05 Mini ; wz.96/06 Comando)

Wyspa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 17:15   #37
Jonny

Thanks, dont have access to those forums so to us it looks like you are not doing anything.

What would be the main uses of the wz96/04, 05 and 06 rifles? Is one a scoped version, another ironsights and the third a carbine or are the second two both carbines?
Old 2008-03-11, 19:55   #38
Mosquill
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Jonny, check your calculations. The 300m SVD is zeroed perfectly at 300m only when g = 1, but g should be 0.666 because physics.gravity = 14.73

Also, in order to simulate a realistic bullet path, you should be able to calculate the real-life's bullet path for every gun, right?. But you can't (even approximately) calculate drag without knowing the correct BC value for every bullet. So my question is, how did you calculate BC or where did you get it from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny
How long does it take to change the angle on an existing animation, Mosquill? It might be good if you made them all and then just changed the angle once we decide the final ranges to zero to.
I think this is a REALLY bad idea. But if you want me to just make different zeroing animations just for one(or few) guns then it's easy.

edit: θ for 300m SVD = 0.173
Mosquill is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 22:19   #39
Jonny

I am using the modifier with a value of 0.666, you did add
ObjectTemplate.fire.projectileStartPosition 0/-0.132/0, didn't you? Because mine works fine...

Check you have all of these in your tweak files somewhere:
ObjectTemplate.gravityModifier 0.666
ObjectTemplate.Drag CRD_NONE/1/0/0
ObjectTemplate.fire.projectileStartPosition 0/-0.132/0
ObjectTemplate.velocity 830
and it WILL work, unless I have forgotten one.
It should be zeroed at about 195m with g = 14.7

The constants are calculated from the assumption that at 300m the L85A2s bullet has half as much kinetic energy, so about 71% of its original velocity. I could calculate each constant for each gun, but that assume that I could find the data. So I am basically assuming that the BC is the same because there is not really any other way to do it without the data. I suppose it could be related to the diameter of the round or its cross-sectional area, but for the values so far it is the same for each bullet to make it simple.
Old 2008-03-11, 22:57   #40
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

Pistols should be zeroed at a max of 25 feet. At 25 meters a pistol is next to useless, and anyone armed with a rifle is going to find cover and reload/fix their malfunction rather than transition to a pistol. I agree with Nedlands about the optics zeroing, sights that are meant to be zeroed at a certain range should be, especially since that means that the sights will work as they are meant to.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

BloodBane611 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
balistics or zeroing, boombastic ballistics, coding, confusing df, confusion pandomoneum, jonny going mad, rico being confusing, wip