project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
19 Feb 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2009-02-01, 14:36   #41
Pastie_kid
Default Re: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS v0.85

i've got the 'core' which i thought would include everything?
Old 2009-02-01, 17:42   #42
McBumLuv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastie_kid View Post
i've got the 'core' which i thought would include everything?
Core includes the "core" package, all the animations, models, game values, etc...

But it's all for nought if you don't have "levels" to play with them on

Old 2009-02-01, 19:45   #43
Blessed Knight

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but I've sporadically played PR since early 2008. Anyways, I was also briefly having a CTD event with any server I joined after it had been working correctly earlier in the day (I think Jan 26th). But I think I somehow managed to repair the problem with a fix that wasn't listed here? I'll list my specs/what I had running occurring at the time/etc.

Computer:

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor
3G RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Notable Processes/Lack thereof:
Windows Automatic Update was turned off
AVG Anti-Virus Free was turned on as well as the automatic update
Java Update Available icon was showing in the system tray.
PunkBuster was fully up to date and not downloading at the time.

What happened:
I was playing a normal game when my AVG anti-virus kicked me off, since it was updating and apparently needed a restart. I decided to install the new Java update to get that over with as well before restarting. When I came back to PR, I would keep getting kicked off from a server after fully loading and spending a few seconds in-game after spawning. This seemed to happen after trying two or three different server attempts. I immediately presumed the AVG update had caused this, so I decided to use a System Restore. The last saved point was at the Java update, so after that process I got PR to work normally again (as normal as is possible, heh). When inspecting the revert, though, I noticed AVG still retained its updates while Java was the only thing that had been reset. I'm not terribly bright sometimes, so the System Restore would have only removed the Java update and not AVG, since I did the Java part after AVG. Terribly long story short, I think Java was somehow causing PR to suddenly malfunction? I'm not entirely tech savvy on programming, but I thought I'd share it for feedback/possibilities/what have you.
Old 2009-02-02, 17:54   #44
coolefriso
Unhappy Re: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS v0.85

Hey, I'm new to the forum to.

My PC
Windows XP 32 Bit
AMD Athlon XP, 1917 MHz (11.5 x 167) 2600+ (This is wat Everest says)
1279 MB RAM (It ain't so much, but it can run BF2 at medium graphics)
Sapphire Radeon X1650

Other thing
I see you thinking, "BF2 with 1279 MB RAM!?", but I played PR 0.75 to, and it worked without problems.

My problem
When I start PR, it all works. I choose aserver and after a long, long, long time loading it is checking the THING. (I'm Dutch so I have to translate all the Dutch messanges to English) I mean what it's doing after the loading. It takes a while to and after a minute it says that the connection to the server is lost. And in one particulary server I get a Punkbuster error at the same checking, "Punkbuster heartbeat stopped". Because I get this error only at one server, it ain't a big problem.
Maybe PR .85 is much more heavyer for hardware then .75. And if it is, why do I get an server error? I hope you can help me.

Thanks,
Friso
Old 2009-02-03, 16:42   #45
Steamliner
Smile Re: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS v0.85

Good evening!

Just signed up to say that the patch posted in the end of the first post on this thread solved all of my problems with CTD.

I loved this game so much and start playing on .85 but i´d ctd all of the time, randomly. Sometimes in the middle of the round, after hours, others while loading the first ever map when i join. There was no rule about this, i was plenty confused. It happened on all kind of maps too, the large and smaller ones.

The modified .exe solved all! Thanks, that´s awesome. My computer specs on my profile and just to add i use vista 64bits.

Played for straight hours, testing for 2 days now and not even one crash.
Old 2009-02-03, 22:29   #46
Lord.Helmet
Exclamation Re: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS v0.85

I am getting kicked by punkbuster (md5tool mismatch bf2.exe ( len=2048 )) with the modified bf2.exe. Is there any dev looking at the real problem instead of replacing it with another? It would reassure me to hear that at least they are aware of the problem and looking for a fix. I don't want to play with the medium textures after having spent so much money on my computer.

1920x1200 and everything at high, I'm running a solid 100fps and I have more than enough memory. Hell I can play every new and "taxing" games at their highest setting without experiencing these "memory problems" or lag.

I already brought this up here : https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...tml#post889005 and I think that the memory "flow" isn't very good in PR

I love PR but this issue is wearing me thin. If you're aiming to release v.1.0 with all the new content and new maps but this issue isn't solved, the memory usage will be greater and the problem seen a lot more.

Can we expect a fix ?

Old 2009-02-03, 22:44   #47
Sabre_tooth_tigger

bf2 is at fault rather then the mod I think and that modified md5 error can occur with the normal .exe

crysis and other games will afaik use less texture memory then bf2. To give an idea of how demanding/inefficient bf2 is you could use this util:
Video Memory Watcher 2.0 - visar användning av grafikminnet - PC för Alla

or stuff like rivatuner will also show the massive amount of memory bf2 chews up. A 1gb video card is not overkill

Old 2009-02-03, 23:58   #48
Lord.Helmet

Well,

- I never got kicked by punkbuster with the original bf2.exe in PR or vbf2.
- I never crashed in vbf2 with the original bf2.exe, but I crash in PR
- With the modified bf2.exe, I never crashed in PR but I'm getting kicked ( only on some server )

Conclusion: I'm only having memory problems in PR using the original bf2.exe and I'm only getting kicked with the modified bf2.exe.

What annoys me now is that since 0.85 I'm getting kicked on my clan's server, which is a problem ( if you read my other thread pointed in my last post you'll see that I'm using a modified bf2.exe since 0.8 ).

Also, the modified bf2.exe allows more system memory, not video memory ( unless there is something I don't understand? ).

Old 2009-02-04, 00:15   #49
Sabre_tooth_tigger

Textures are stored in the main memory if you lack enough video mem on the card but its slower to do and may cause problems with paging etc. Not sure if thats related to the vista problem but if so more vid mem might help

pr is more demanding the bf2 definitly

Old 2009-02-04, 05:55   #50
M4sherman

Hey my guy I know keeps crashing to desktop out of no where. he has a fairly high end system so We think it is because he is running a 64 bit OS any tips?/

Tags
asked, frequently, questions, v085