project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
19 Feb 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2009-01-24, 09:23   #1
[R-DEV]AncientMan
Retired - Project Manager
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Question FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS v0.85

CHECK THE UPDATED THREAD FOR v0.86
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27...ml#post1055731

Last edited by [R-DEV]AncientMan; 2009-06-17 at 02:23..
Old 2009-01-24, 15:09   #2
Swervey
Default Re: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS v0.85

Thanks Ancient for the information that your posted.

I am getting the same issue as quite alot of people as it seems. I log into the game find a server connect, it then goes through the loading sequence but when it gets to 100% or thereabouts, it crashes to the desktop. There is no error which comes up (maybe i need to run it in windowed mode to see).

I have read through your troubleshooting list and tried them all, eg: vitual memory, re-install, patched bf2.exe etc.

I'm running windows Vista Ultimate 64 with 4Gb of ram..... Any ideas as i would love to play the new V0.856 mode!

Cheers
Old 2009-01-24, 15:32   #3
Dunehunter
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Dunehunter

Swervey, have you tried that last tip?

Thanks Ancient haven't been able to test it extensively yet (only a couple of hours of gaming), but I switched maps a bunch of times and not a single CTD yet.

[R-MOD]Jigsaw] I am drunk. I decided to come home early because I can''t realy seea nyithng. I hthknk i madea bad choicce.
Old 2009-01-24, 16:12   #4
munky91

Send a message via AIM to munky91
Question Re: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS v0.85

I'm running XP with 3 gigs of ram. Would it be safe for me to try using the new exe, or will XP be unable to handle it?
Old 2009-01-24, 16:33   #5
Lord.Helmet

Yeah, I've been running the modified bf2.exe for a while and I get kick sometimes by punkbuster (md5tool mismatch).

In 0.8 I found that I prefered using the original bf2.exe and getting crashes between map changes because I could just come back in the game on the server I was and still have plenty of time before the round begin (3min between rounds). Getting kick was more annoying because it would happens while playing...

Now, since 0.85, without the modified bf2.exe and with High textures, the game crashes while playing and not only on map changes, which make the modified bf2.exe a must (no crash with it). I just hope the kicking will be reduced on 0.85 because I won't have any other option than putting my textures to medium and that would suck.

The kicking only happens on specific server so I guess they are running extra punkbuster verifications or something. I believe that a solution would be to reduce those verifications (like all the ones where I don't get kick) on these server and we would be set.

Anyway let's be honest, stupid hackers will always find a way to go around these verifications.

Old 2009-01-24, 18:43   #6
LtSoucy
Supporting Member

I have 8gigs of RAM and still CTD during loading, if my comp is using all 8gigs then there has to be an issue. And if only started with 0.85 release.

Reality Gaming - Making Games Reality
http://realitygamer.org/

Old 2009-01-25, 01:36   #7
monatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtSoucy View Post
I have 8gigs of RAM and still CTD during loading, if my comp is using all 8gigs then there has to be an issue. And if only started with 0.85 release.
Im in a similar situation (well...I dont have 8 gigs of ram, but I have 4 :P )

Iv tried the patched BF2 exe, Iv even tried changing my virtual memory (bumped it from the default 35xxmb to 4000mb) and I STILL get the crashes between map loads. MY PC can handle PR on High with seamless gameplay, I dont know why I need to turn down the texture's just to help with the map loads?

Iv never had this prob with previous PR's, im gonna do a reinstall and hopefully it fixes it
Old 2009-01-25, 02:32   #8
Nemesis6

That fixed exe, how does Punkbuster react to that apart from the mismatch thing? Can anyone else confirm any problems with it? Also, I'm not sure if it's the right solution for me. What happens is that after a few map rotation the game will have consumed too much ram. I have 2 GBs, and WinXP takes about 400-500. So when the stutter starts, I'll have about 100 megs of ram free. I used to have the crash on map load, but not anymore, so I'm wondering: Is the exe for me? Right now I'm experimenting a little with sound quality because for example, setting sound options to high quality hardware mode gets the game to quickly gobble up ram. Same with Software sound also at high quality, so I'm gonna try medium software quality sound.
Last edited by Nemesis6; 2009-01-25 at 02:38..
Old 2009-01-25, 03:01   #9
[R-DEV]AncientMan
Retired - Project Manager
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Sure, give the patched exe a try. Doesn't cause issues with md5 checks, tested it personally.

Old 2009-01-25, 03:26   #10
aperson444

I'm sorry for the very stupid question, but how exactly do i run pr 0.85? If I run BF2.exe, as I have heard, I just get normal BF2.

The installation guide is not loading down here, so that's why I'm asking ehre.
Last edited by aperson444; 2009-01-25 at 03:31..

Tags
asked, frequently, questions, v085