project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
29 Feb 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2019-07-29, 02:44   #91
dolmaface
Default Re: are the devs gonna do PR mod for SQUAD? PR:squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSmek View Post
Its not really about that either.. if we want to play fools road we can just play pr...

All the leaning and free look crap, its what makes squad bad. Its just a really bad first person shooter experience where you cant drop kits, swim or do nuffin
I'd disagree. I think leaning, free look, etc...are modern features that improve the game. These are things you couldn't do in the refractor engine, and is why they probably were never added. Listen, what you are describing is a game exactly like project reality, which in that case yea, you might as well just play project reality.

Some of us though want a modern version of PR, which means adding modern features, yet at the same time retaining the mechanics that produces PRs teamwork and tactics.

For example, the bullet deviation in PR is an atrocious outdated mechanic. We can do a lot better in Squad with fatigue/weapon sway.
dolmaface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 04:07   #92
UncleSmek

Sure but squad feels more like a necassary step/error to know what not to do rather than building on it..

But i'll try it out if you make something cool
Last edited by UncleSmek; 2019-07-29 at 04:47..
Old 2019-07-29, 14:47   #93
PatrickLA_CA

Meh, I actually like Squad's infantry gameplay. Much more than PR to be honest, it feels a lot more immersive, ofc there are many things left to iron out and even more to add, but it is immediately clear that there are no limitations akin to the ones in PR.
The thing that annoys me the most about Squad is the devs being oblivious to the negative feedback about the dead-dead thing they removed. That breaks it for me.
Also, I don't know if its just me but something is off with vehicle sounds. I can never tell the direction and distance they're coming from.

PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-30, 06:32   #94
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by username1212 View Post
You told us a different story when you were hired. And then just quickly made things worse. What's the point in lying now?

Modding, yeah right. It's still dead and even owi couldn't produce a single released mod (do I need to remind you how many they've started? like 3 or 4)
Well I'm not about to get into an argument with an account with username1212, throwing around accusations of deceit is not very helpful or productive.

We just had a pretty successful modding weekend in Squad, and more to come. Alot of problems of course and alot of things to iron out, but I think time will tell whether we are dedicated to modding or not.

One things for sure, building up modding community takes ALOT of hard work - it does not happen from peanut gallery comments - ALL the PR devs (and any passionate game dev) know it takes tons of BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS, many many hours and a great conviction to make a niche game like PR or Squad. It's so easy to critique and tear someone down, but we go on anyways because we believe in making a great experience..

As far as the "dollar bills", game devs are hardly rolling around in cash, its also a very volatile job compared to alot of other more steady work (my previous occupation/location was around the same standard to my current game dev job, but alot more stead work. I've worked hard at both and am proud to say we don't do alot of time crunch like other game studios, but I also probably put more hours in than I should)

I think overall, having patience and a level head when designing as complex a game as Squad or PR is something that is required.

Looking forward to seeing variations of PR mods in Squad, I think theres alot of room for experimentation, and its great to discuss it (without throwing around personal insults)
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-30, 06:34   #95
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolmaface View Post
Alright, so I have begun making a Project Reality mod for Squad. I am a complete nooby, so learning how to mod and use UE4 is taking me some time. I am almost done for the first release of the mod which will include
  • Increase HAB overrun radius to 100m w/4 enemies
  • Destroy Rally in 60s unless within 150m of friendly HAB
  • Remove Buddy Rally
  • Re-enable instadeath mechanics

I chose these items for the first release since I believe the spawning mechanics are the biggest differences between Squad and PR. These updates, although seem minor on paper, should massively change the way the game is played. IMO, these updates alone should almost bring the game to a PR level; I mean the game itself is pretty damn similar except for a few minor things.

Future goals/thoughts are to
  • Include friendly Flags/APCs in Rally 150m radius.
  • Make HABs smaller so they are easier to hide
  • Make HAB and FOB one in the same (just like in PR)
  • Make weapon sway and fatigue a bit more intense (so that it is harder to shoot)
  • Modify PR ticket costs, get rid of ticket bleed
  • Make Squads 8 man instead of 9?
  • Dedicated Vehicle Squads built in feature
  • Thermals for vehicles (probably very hard to accomplish)

I think with these improvements the game will be a true successor to PR. I know some of you want super realistic features, like movement/damage/health, but I don't want the game to become too realistic like ARMA. It should still have some arcade elements to it. The main goal though is to make it teamwork oriented, and have tactical value. I thinks these updates should do it.
Looks great man! hit me up on Discord if you need any help and I can try my best to give you info or send you in the right direction
Old 2019-07-30, 06:43   #96
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
Seems like my prediction was right.

Hey DogACTUAL, I appreciate your passion for PR and a PR sequel... I do think Squad has what it takes to get there. Do I agree with all the direction the game has taken since its inception? DEFINITELY Not.

Do I think theres room for improvement? Yes.

Have I given up on making the best damn combined arms tactical game with proximity based teamwork? HELL NO.

I helped shape PR for ~5 years, that was ALOT of time dedicated to the project, I am not someone to give up like that.

Me and you may disagree on what concepts and design decisions will create that perfect blend of gameplay, but I strive to keep moving towards that goal every single day, whether Im at the office or not its always on my mind.

You can check out the latest Squad Chat where I talk about some of the stuff in the design of Squad.

Cheers man, keep fighting
Old 2019-07-30, 14:01   #97
redman0123

Long time lurker and PR player since 2006.

I gave money for OWI to start Squad and am feeling really betrayed by them right now. A PR mod for Squad would be absolutely amazing.

There is also a mod in the works for Squad which overhauls vehicles to a more realistic level (it was in the squad reddit a few weeks ago with many up votes, cant remember what it was called right now tho). It might be prudent to conact the developers of that mod anf work some stuff out.

Im actually quite angry with OWI right now. They used us for our money and now they are telling us to scram while they create another bland meat grinder battlefield/CoD game.

It even goes beyond that! They removed death from a game about simulated war and death! The vehicles are all gimped and can barely move on purpose! They keep changing stats on equipment and it keeps getting further and further from anything in reality.

Irontaxi stated they are moving in this direction to pay the bills, but I am thinking it will end with OWI going broke in the long run because if people wanted to play CoD or Battlefield- then they already have copies installed and have no need for Squad.

The whole situation is really not good. Squad has a ton of great features that the PR community would love but holy shit is the side strafing meat grinder lone wolf rambo gameplay BORING AND SUBPAR.
redman0123 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-30, 14:33   #98
[R-DEV]​Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolmaface View Post
[*]Make Squads 8 man instead of 9?
I'm gonna drop by to voice my "I've never played Squad" opinion on this.

Please, make it 4.
Eight man squads in PR barely function at best and otherwise turn into cat herding and talking over each other in my experience and what few things I've heard of Squad, something similar does happen there as well.

We're stuck here in BF2 with a 9 squad limit but I hope Squad didn't impose some arbitrary or technical limit on that. So if you can have enough squad slots to accommodate that, make it four. Four is a decent, cohesive fireteam of players, as leader you only need to keep track of 3 other people at most and it's one or two vehicle crews at most (unless Squad does vehicle-only comms like ArmA, but still).

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-30, 16:49   #99
username1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzhead View Post
Well I'm not about to get into an argument with an account with username1212, throwing around accusations of deceit is not very helpful or productive.

We just had a pretty successful modding weekend in Squad, and more to come. Alot of problems of course and alot of things to iron out, but I think time will tell whether we are dedicated to modding or not.

One things for sure, building up modding community takes ALOT of hard work - it does not happen from peanut gallery comments - ALL the PR devs (and any passionate game dev) know it takes tons of BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS, many many hours and a great conviction to make a niche game like PR or Squad. It's so easy to critique and tear someone down, but we go on anyways because we believe in making a great experience..

As far as the "dollar bills", game devs are hardly rolling around in cash, its also a very volatile job compared to alot of other more steady work (my previous occupation/location was around the same standard to my current game dev job, but alot more stead work. I've worked hard at both and am proud to say we don't do alot of time crunch like other game studios, but I also probably put more hours in than I should)

I think overall, having patience and a level head when designing as complex a game as Squad or PR is something that is required.

Looking forward to seeing variations of PR mods in Squad, I think theres alot of room for experimentation, and its great to discuss it (without throwing around personal insults)
You're not supposed to build up modding community ffs. And we are not supposed to create PR mod to begin with.
You told us you will make sure squad will be moving towards PR gameplay and now what do we have here? Tell me how this is called in your book please. FOR ONCE stop evading inconvenient questions and give us a straight answer. If not for me then for EVERYONE ELSE who keeps asking the same question.
Don't start a pity party on your hard job, yes very productive and helpful but the product ended up wrong.
username1212 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-30, 23:27   #100
PatrickLA_CA

Just because Squad is not an exact copy of PR does not mean it is not moving towards the PR gameplay. Sure there are some controversial changes such as insta-death removal and I am confident that will make a comeback in the near future. But when I play Squad I get the exact same feeling that I get when playing PR, of course without the same amount of assets and a few differences here and there. It will become even more similar to PR once transport helicopters enter the fray.
You have to remember, the maps and view distance in Squad are much much bigger than those in PR and that is enough to make a lot of difference. That is something the PR community has wanted for a long time but has been limited because of the engine.

Keep providing feedback to the DEVs even though at times it might feel as if they're not listening. They want to try new directions as it is after all an entirely new game built from scratch and they have a lot of freedom when it comes to what they want to do. But what you're doing is not providing feedback, it's just whining without any constructive arguments.

PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
devs, gonna, mod, prsquad, squad