project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
28 Feb 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 2011-10-09, 21:11   #11
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Default Re: PR -> BF2 Steam

Add me on xfire, ill help you.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 21:14   #12
Limeni[BiH]

He's gonna make you his sex slave
Limeni[BiH] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 21:20   #13
requiem
Retired - Project Founder
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicca View Post
Add me on xfire, ill help you.
Dude, I'm 30+, xfire died with my America's Army pro career in '04

requiem is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 22:40   #14
TheComedian

Never ever use compatibility mode with BF2. It only causes memory leaks and doesn't fix anything.

Try running BF2 directly from the bf2.exe

There's also a key in the registry that goes to the installation folder so you might want to check up on that.

Open start menu and then run>regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2 to find the InstallDir reg file.

Right click+modify and copy-paste the location of the bf2.exe here to see if it helps.

Only change registry as a last resort and make sure you backup by doing File>Export.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic52084_1.gif
TheComedian is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 22:43   #15
requiem
Supporting Member

Thanks buddy... don't have that reg. key, wondering if steam sets it up differently.

BF2 from bf2bc.exe has worked everytime without any issues..

Old 2011-10-09, 22:56   #16
TheComedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
...wondering if steam sets it up differently.
It probably does. I don't have a clue how steam works you should wait until a tech mod comes along.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic52084_1.gif
TheComedian is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 12:40   #17
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Hi Requiem ! The first error as you found out is because you have to run BF2 first and log into your account so that it will create a profile directory and profile.

This worries me ...

Quote:
C:\Users\User\Documents\BFBC2
It seems that because you have Bad Company installed that BF2 is trying to put things in there maybe. Can you give me the installation path of BF2 (it should be in your steam directory), and can you look in your registry for the BF2 entries (just do a search for BF2), and tell me where you find them ?

Also make sure that there are registry entries for PR in the Blacksand Studios folder (this should be created upon installing PR).

Finally make sure that you are running PR as admin, so that you overcome the UAC issues.

The basic problem with this error ....

Quote:
Sunday, October 09, 2011 9:23:55 PM
---------------------------------
System.Exception: An error has occurred while trying to launch BF2.
Details are as follows.

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx (ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
is that the pr.exe cannot find BF2 where it is expecting to find it. I programmed in a number of ways of looking for it, if one fails it trys the next, but somehow you seem to have circumvented them all !!

So need to know where your BF2 is installed, where you PR is installed, and what the registry entries have to say about all of that. And if there is anything odd about your installation like you have it on a networked drive or something ?

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
--George Patton--
Twisted Helix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 13:05   #18
requiem
Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply!

Couldn't find any reg entries. EA has one for my e-mail address (profile) and none in the Valve area (this is under current_user -> software)

Application:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\battlefield bad company 2\BFBC2Game.exe
Mod:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\battlefield bad company 2\mods\pr\pr.exe
Profile (which now seems resolved):

Code:
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\Default
Nothing special going on with this rig, it's my casual fun one so it's quite "normally" setup... My guess is that Steam may have just changed the file structure with the latest build (for fresh setups)?

Old 2011-10-10, 18:16   #19
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\battlefield bad company 2\BFBC2Game.exe
This is the problem. Its not the vanilla BF2 exe. This must be new ... didn't realize that this was possible (running PR from Bad Company).

Hmmm. I can probably program up a new version to support this for next release. However for now you might be able to "cludge it" by renaming the exe to BF2.exe.

My PC had a sudden death recently, and I haven't got it fully up and running yet and not installed visual studio (as I am going to have to reinstall windows again), so I can't actually check if this will work ... but from memory I think it will.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
--George Patton--
Twisted Helix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 18:31   #20
requiem
Supporting Member

Thanks for that buddy, I should be ok on the directory too?

Tags
&gt, >, bf2, steam