project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Maps
22 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2019-05-20, 06:59   #1
UncleSmek

Default General "flatness" of terrain

I am really liking the changes to yamalia, making it a far more interesting map to play as infantry.

My question is if we in any way can play with the terrain in a similar fashion with all the other forest/jungle maps to make the terrain far more dynamic than it already is.

I am mainly thinking about Silent Eagle, Vadso and Pavlosk etc.

If my point does not get across, I can try to clarify.
UncleSmek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-20, 08:50   #2
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Default Re: General "flatness" of terrain

The changes to Yamalia is that it was turned into a winter map?

You want a jungle map to be a winter map?! Global warming narrative? Battlefield 2142 what? :P

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-20, 09:20   #3
parch
Supporting Member

I think this is what Smek is referring to

(from devlblog about yamalia update)
Quote:
Combining existing 3D and 2D snow assets from Dovre Winter and some excellent new ones made by [R-DEV]Mr.VdHeide the map now features updated snow pine trees and a bumpier terrain inside the forests while mostly retaining the original layout.
I think it was especially necessary for Yamalia since it has no undergrowth whereas Silent Eagle, Vadso and Pavlosk offer some concealment for inf. I'd say those maps work fine as they are and wouldn't want devs to work on anything other than WW2 now.

parch is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-20, 09:21   #4
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Have you played new Yamalia Wicca? Or are you pretending to not know?

The terrain changed on Yamalia. And yes it would be more fun on more maps but maybe not all of them.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-20, 12:39   #5
UncleSmek

Quote:
Originally Posted by parch View Post
I think this is what Smek is referring to

(from devlblog about yamalia update)

I think it was especially necessary for Yamalia since it has no undergrowth whereas Silent Eagle, Vadso and Pavlosk offer some concealment for inf. I'd say those maps work fine as they are and wouldn't want devs to work on anything other than WW2 now.
Vadso is half broken to play as Inf anywhere else on the map than the city and Silent Eagle is basically a desert map with forrest textures. But you are right, devs should just focus on WW2 for now and maybe have this into consideration for something to work on going into the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
Have you played new Yamalia Wicca? Or are you pretending to not know?

The terrain changed on Yamalia. And yes it would be more fun on more maps but maybe not all of them.
Yepp, with not much work we could have some candidates pretty quick.
Old 2019-05-20, 13:51   #6
Filamu
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Yeah, adding this microterrain into maps really add something I would say. Both Yamalia and Route has it to a fairly large degree and I find it more interesting to fight over. It would be a good addition to many of the fairly open areas on especially 4Ks. No idea how much work it is, but it would be nice to see it more.

Quite shit to drive on so it has to be limited in some way, but it seems to work fine on the ones that have it.
Filamu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-20, 13:58   #7
[R-CON]​mectus11
PR:BF2 Contributor

Saaremaa and Wanda Shan have what you're looking for.

mectus11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-20, 14:37   #8
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Could be wrong but adding such terrain changes requires regenerating overgrowth (location of trees, bushes etc) which would result in the lightmaps (pre-rendered shadows) being incorrect again which takes rather a lot of time to redo properly. But yeah I agree that such terrain with 'micro-bumps' is usually more interesting for infantry to play around in. Luckily most of our newer maps have that already.

So yeah, nice benefits, but 'with not much work' doesn't really cut it. It's a rather substantial amount of work.

edit: for non-forest areas it could be done more easily though. But we don't have that much of that I believe (large terrain areas with not a single tree or bush).

Last edited by Mineral; 2019-05-20 at 14:42..
Old 2019-05-20, 14:48   #9
[R-DEV]​Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

This is interesting considering this was the initial response to the bumpy micro terrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidonrai View Post
I assume in an attempt to counter this you've made the terrain extremely bumpy across the entire map to provide rudimentary cover for infantry, but this, in turn, is mildly annoying to run around on as inf, constantly having to go up and down, and also makes crewing ground vehicles genuinely nausea-inducing because of the shaking. Also has the knock on effect of making it very difficult for APCs to find flat ground to stop sliding whilst in the "wooded" areas of the map, and makes it literally impossible for APCs or Tanks to hit anything whilst moving.

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-20, 18:03   #10
UncleSmek

Thanks for the info mineral, didnt know it was that much more work.

I also dont think the terrain should be as uneven as it is on Yamalia, maybe a good balance can be found to satisfy armor aswell?

I think Silent Eagle, with the lack of trees, is a good thing to try it out on maybe?