project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
20 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2019-04-19, 00:18   #1
Devross
Default How to flare properly???

Can anyone tell me how to use flares effectively against AA?
Mainly in jets.
cheers.
Devross is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-19, 01:37   #2
Rabbit

Default Re: How to flare properly???

They Don't

Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-19, 12:57   #3
ploxdead
PR Server License Moderator

Press X and pray
ploxdead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-19, 16:23   #4
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

After a launch warning, when you can safely assume a missile is heading for you at a few times the speed of sound, it's time to take immediate action or you will die. You should have a situational awareness of where this launch would have originated from, but barring that, and any information from your RWR, you can make visual ID on the launch site (provided it was the only missile launched in this short period) by looking for the streak of exhaust smoke going from the earth and curving into a path pointed at you.

Next, you put the incoming missile perpendicular to your jet on an exit vector (trying NOT to fly deeper into OPFOR territory), and with the missile coming in from your left or right, you begin an evasive maneuvers pattern while popping the appropriate chaff/flare program at the top and bottom of what is similar to repeating parabolic arcs (pulling up for several seconds, turn upside down, pop chaff/flares, pull up for several seconds, turn right-side up, pop chaff/flares/... repeat)

Of course, this is a super dumbed-down example. This SOP presents the largest chance for the missile guidance to mistake flares for your jet, hopefully letting you live to fly another day.

...oh wait... we're talking PR here, not a combat flight sim like BMS... yea, press X and pray.

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-19, 16:44   #5
VTRaptor

It's a secret. Nobody is supposed to know.
VTRaptor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-19, 19:42   #6
[R-CON]​Suchar
PR:BF2 Contributor
Project Reality Beta Tester

Nobody knows tbh.

prta is known for his lack of "authority" on cheaters, your server your rules if you want to close an eye on him do so ~ A guy (who was proven to be a cheater next day) right after reporting another cheater
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suchar is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-19, 21:18   #7
Grump/Gump.45
Cool Re: How to flare properly???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devross View Post
Mainly in jets.
cheers.
Although you said jet I will answer helicopters first... for flares in a chopper several scenarios between the flares and AA rocket will happen where you survive. One is rocket will hit a flare detonating on the cluster, second scenario is AA rocket being misdirected by loose flare it missed on wide cluster where it has no chance through angle to redirect to target. Third scenario is with evasive maneuver and deploying flares where its a close call like a bullet barely grazing a body caused by flare target confusion... I.E like the guy said deploy and pray at the least. Bad tactics is better than no tactics.

So to make these things happen follow this procedure of awareness, for example if your main is on west side of map and enemy main is on east side of the map you know you are most likely to hit AA lock or contact coming out of your western main from North, NE, East, SE, and South. At the least you will be seen, always do what you have to do quickly and in order of safe destinations coming in from safe directions, hot drop zones go last but if you take AA lock on approach from distance deploy flares in wide bursts then turn around immediately. Once flares are deployed you turn around to get behind the flares as a visual shield and decoy to the IR heat based AA lock. Probe different sections of the map exposing your chopper above terrain features for AA lock.

Did I mention I'm a deadly SOB? Life is like a box of chocolates fool, you never know if its me till you break down that psychological warfare that done happened to you or your friendlies. Get to know me on the Squad v12 and Project Reality 1.5 teamwork playlist on YouTube for 20+ skills
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-19, 21:37   #8
Grump/Gump.45
Exclamation Re: How to flare properly???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devross View Post
Mainly in jets.
cheers.
You got to put some method to it. Flares are little use and a guessing solution unless you know this. Now for jets apply everything I said for choppers, from map awareness of possible and likely enemy location to the scenario procedures. Distance is your friend. While in jets I call certain areas of the map safe zones, at least from Anti-Air only until enemy jets are down. Don't go all over the map with jets, stay on your side of the map and plan every time you want to reach past it. Plan what grid and direction you go into enemy territory in and how far, deep and amount of time you spend there. Plan your altitude and multiple safe exits, if your commander knows where there isn't enemy AA you can exit in those locations. Know why you are going into enemy territory, know the risks and consider if its worth it all while lingering/patrolling your safe side of the map ready to hit contact.

Now to apply the flares and this knowledge with jets, playing it safe is key. Your job is always to stay alive, following METT-TC now for standard standing orders for what your job is no matter the location or mission. Mission-Stay alive... Enemy-Manipulate...Troops-Keep alive...Terrain-Use to keep troops alive/deny area to enemy...Time Considerations- Right weapon, in right place, at right time done in timely manner to team flow.. With all these considerations from infantry put into a jet you use distance and awareness first, get that established, do multiple fly overs the same safe areas to gain confidence no enemy has slipped a MANPAD kit or AA vehicle/emplacement past team. When going on attack runs make them short, fast and don't go where you don't need to.

For AA coming from the ground just like when you are in a chopper you deploy flares in bursts then get away from them going back where you came from, not exactly but get out of the area going the direction where you were safe. Those 3 scenarios will happen if you follow procedure. Don't fly in a straight line or turn in some random direction when you hear the alarm going off, go back where you came from... this is why you establish safe zones with confidence so you know exactly where to turn to then re-consider how to go about it. Don't panic. Report it to your team once you survived and get something else to hit the AA asset. NEVER try to hit AA with a jet.

Did I mention I'm a deadly SOB? Life is like a box of chocolates fool, you never know if its me till you break down that psychological warfare that done happened to you or your friendlies. Get to know me on the Squad v12 and Project Reality 1.5 teamwork playlist on YouTube for 20+ skills
Last edited by Grump/Gump.45; 2019-04-23 at 03:23..
Old 2019-04-22, 18:41   #9
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

... wow...

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-25, 02:28   #10
FFG
Project Reality Beta Tester

Pull hard, Tap Twice, wait 2 seconds, tap once, another second, tap once. Leave.

FFG is offline Reply With Quote