project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
16 Sep 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2019-03-17, 01:33   #11
WeeGeez
Supporting Member

Default Re: 240hz, why o why

This a good link instead of GIF example
https://testufo.com/

Also an interesting, related thread:
https://hardforum.com/threads/120hz-...mance.1568952/

PC FPS SINCE 1998 - PR Til I Die
Cheap / fast track upgrade for slow PR computer > Guide
Last edited by WeeGeez; 2019-03-17 at 01:49..
Old 2019-03-17, 01:41   #12
PBAsydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeGeez View Post
Have either of you ever compared each rate, side by side? I gues not because thats two individual systems and nobody has the time for that, but in the shop sometimes there is a demonstration.
Yes, I have a 60Hz monitor as a secondary monitor and the difference is night and day, even when just working on the desktop everything is twice as smooth on the high refresh rate monitor.

Quote:
Improvement could be due to:
-The monitor you have is free-sync and/or
-You concurrently upgraded to a more powerful GPU at the same time which can now push 144.
-Possibly Placebo,
All G-Sync does is adjust your refresh rate to match framerate to prevent tearing. As long as you keep pushing 144 fps it's a complete non factor, no difference if turned off.
Obviously you need a GPU that can push enough frames to fully utilize the monitor.
No placebo. Ask literally anyone who has bought a 144 Hz monitor (and hasn't forgotten to actually set it to 144Hz)

Quote:
Evidently I am not a staunch believer in anyhting beyond 60fps. Real world experiments I should do... I just think freesync is awesome, 144/240 moot in comparison.

What monitors you guys got exactly, model wise?
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q

Quote:
This a good link instead of GIF example
https://testufo.com/
Yes, this is an excellent site. Now imagine the the motion blur being reduced even more, and then you can hopefully realize the awesomeness of high refresh rate.

HITREG CARRY
PBAsydney is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-17, 12:17   #13
saXoni
Supporting Member

Quote:
Have either of you ever compared each rate, side by side? I gues not because thats two individual systems and nobody has the time for that, but in the shop sometimes there is a demonstration.
Yes. I have one 1440p 144hz monitor as my main and a 1080p 60hz monitor as my secondary - the difference is massive. You seem to enjoy talking about shit you don't know anything about.
saXoni is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-17, 19:30   #14
DogACTUAL

Wow cmon no need to be so hostile. He was just trying to have a discussion about this topic.
Quote:
You seem to enjoy talking about shit you don't know anything about.
That's what web forums and social media are for. Did you ever check out this forum section for example:
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21
Lots of that to be found there.

Not only did the DEVs totally throw off the CAS/AA balance and make TOWs useless against tanks, no that was not enough. They also had to introduce their most controversial change yet, a 16 character limit on player names.
------------------
''Mats literally does not give a single fuck what you, me or everybody else thinks the game should be like. He doesn't care if you, me or everybody else plays the game even.'' - Frontliner
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-18, 08:55   #15
PatrickLA_CA

Well, I guess I am right in time to discover this thread. I will soon be building a desktop and now you've made me think about getting a 144hz monitor. Can anyone suggest a non-overpriced good screen with a high refresh rate? 1080, I don't want 4k.

PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-19, 09:45   #16
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I guess your first questions are:
size
Freesync or G sync?

I would have thought those freesync monitors that Nvidia tested and found G sync compatible might be a good start.

Freesync/G sync

PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-19, 10:30   #17
PatrickLA_CA

Hmm, interesting, I think I'm going for something like that AOC G2590FX 25" Framless Gaming Monitor, FHD 1920x1080 144Hz

PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-20, 19:08   #18
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I got a 24" 1080 monitor a while ago its OK but I would prefer a 27" 1440 now. 24" seems to be the standard basic gamer size these days. OFC it all boils down to how much you want to spend and if our system can do justice to an over 1080 monitor.

PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-04, 19:30   #19
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Is this guy serious? "Have to see it to believe it" regarding 144Hz mouse movement Vs. 60Hz?!

How is he ignoring that perfect gif on the front page? Because someone didn't make a 240/144/120/60 gif?

Listen here, WeeGeez, no offense but you got developers here with obvious gif proof, you got PC pros like PBASydney telling you that moving the mouse and even windows on a 144Hz monitor is butter smooth Vs. 60Hz, and you're acting like they're salesmen trying to lie just to make a sale. And I gotta toss in my two cents because I run a dual-system multi-monitor setup with a 60Hz, a 75Hz, and a 144Hz monitor, and it's not the G-Sync or any Sync or GFX card power making this look so good, it's the fact that the monitor is displaying the Windows Desktop pinned at 144 frames per second, and that looks great! I see it side by side with a 60Hz monitor all the time, I'd LOVE to own a 240Hz monitor!! It's the fact that when FRAPS tells me my game is running at 100FPS, I know 100 still images every second are actually being drawn to my monitor (along with 44 duplicates and half drawn images, one would assume).

You cannot say that with a 60Hz monitor - if FRAPS says anything more than 60FPS, sorry, but it's essentially unreliable bs and not what is actually drawing on the monitor.

Take that into a game like, for example, Factorio, where the FPS is capped at 60FPS for game purposes, and the 144Hz monitor is now relying upon drivers/software to deal with the disparity between 144Hz and 60Hz, but it's a far better trade than having a 60Hz monitor and playing something like Project Reality where you can get the FPS pinned at 120FPS with modern tech, as the monitor becomes a severe bottleneck.

Remember, video is just a fast slideshow of still images -- 144 of them (or 240) is going to be much smoother than 60 of them in any given second, and this is why these are sold as Gaming Monitors. They have little application outside that, except perhaps for 3D artists or other AV uses, and aside from someone wanting a smooth visual appearance.

Lastly, just because YOU have not seen 240Hz and 144Hz and 60Hz side-by-side does not mean that there is no palpable difference between them. It is literally night and day. Check out some LinusTechTips where they do a ton of testing and reviews of displays of all sorts.

Writing long drawn out forum posts that essentially boil down to listing your opinions based on your own ignorance on a topic, and obstinance to recognize what your peers are telling you is genuine makes me wonder what you would accept as real and true in this world. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a fact: Gaming monitors look better, perform better, and are worth the extra money if you can afford it (do your product research, tho!) and if you have the required tech to power them.

When I was in martial arts many years ago, we did a lot of snap defense training, and the owner of the gym had a 20,000FPS camera we used for reaction timings. Most humans have an average reaction time of around 180ms, and this is the time it takes when input hits the eyes/ears where the mind makes the decision to act and when the body actually starts to move. Along with a few others, I was able to consistently log times of 165ms, and let me tell you, that extra 15ms is VERY important and significant despite the size of this increment. He taught us (and I was able to do so) how this is approximately the difference of me having hands at sides at rest in front of someone with their fists up, and being able to react and block a fast jab with one or both of my own arms (again, from rest, at full combat speed). Imagine if you only had to twitch one hand on a mouse, or one/two fingers on WASD?

I'm absolutely certain that this is why Gaming Monitors can provide a measurable edge to competitive gamers, and once in awhile, casual gaming dorks like myself, too. Again, just because YOU don't believe it or YOU have not seen it, doesn't mean it is not true. We're under no obligation to prove this stuff, go to the shops and have a look yourself. It's truly awesome!

Last edited by SemlerPDX; 2019-04-04 at 20:03..
Old 2019-04-04, 19:52   #20
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLODDITHANLEY View Post
I got a 24" 1080 monitor a while ago its OK but I would prefer a 27" 1440 now. 24" seems to be the standard basic gamer size these days.
They make the 27" standard as well for many gaming monitors, with the 24" being the "affordable" or slightly more accessible product for gamers on a budget, but the difference between them is distinct, especially if going between 1080p at 24" to 1440p at 27".

This is because there is a pixels per inch of 108.79 (PPI) for 1440p on a 27" display, where from 32 inches away individual pixels are considered indistinguishable, and though the difference is small, it is much better than 91.79 PPI for 1080p on a 24" display, where from 37 inches away individual pixels are considered indistinguishable.

I don't know many people who sit so far from their monitors, so most all of us get the joys of being able to see individual pixels, but it does go to show on paper how much harder it would be to see them, how much less pronounced any screen-door effects would be if you got nose-up to the monitor.

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote