project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
22 Sep 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Closed Thread

Old 2017-10-28, 17:36   #11
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: EA tells Battlefield Revive team to 'stop distributing copies of our game clients

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
Nope, that's false. They were only going to allow people to purchase stuff from the store with ingame currency (which you could ONLY get through playing).

I'm not really sure what triggered this, since they did with BFH the same that they did with Revive BF2/2142 and even PR. They distribute the necessary files, and use their own master server. This wasn't a profit-driven endeavour, just passion for the franchise.
Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Old 2017-10-28, 17:37   #12
3===SPECTER===3

Default Re: EA tells Battlefield Revive team to 'stop distributing copies of our game clients

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander[nl] View Post
They probably prefer people buying their newest games for 60 euros instead of replaying the old ones for a fraction of the original price.
Of course they want people to play their newer games. But stopping people (who don't play their newer games) from playing their older games isn't going to switch them over.

What I can't comprehend is when a whole set of players clearly show interest in the old games, why not make them available? EA has clearly looked at the cost vs profit margin of making their old games available and determined that it would cost more than it's worth. But I just can't wrap my head around that; I can't imagine that making the old titles available to buy would cost that much for them to do.

After reading the actual email, I'm a little bit less worried that EA will do this to PR. The email was very polite and it gave the impression that something monetary forced them to put out the cease and desist. Idk if the revive guys were making money of of this in some way, but PR is clearly not doing that, like Rhino said.

Old 2017-10-28, 18:39   #13
PatrickLA_CA

The only way revive made money of their project was through donations. There was nothing that you could pay to get anything game related. This is a dick move by EA. I enjoyed relaxing with BFH occasionally.

Old 2017-10-28, 19:03   #14
carmikaze
Supporting Member

Well read EAs statement here: https://reviveheroes.com/notice.txt

I hate EA with every cell in my body, but I think in this case EA doesn't want it to be shut down completely, they are just bothered by the revive project using EA's logos and trademarks on their website and distributing the client for free. I think the Devs are being overly dramatic about it.
Old 2017-10-28, 19:07   #15
Raklodder
Supporting Member

I almost wanted to cry when I saw the headlines online, but thankfully the grim reaper only came for Revive.

Last edited by Raklodder; 2017-11-08 at 18:50..
Old 2017-10-30, 20:23   #16
Michael Z Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3===SPECTER===3 View Post
Of course they want people to play their newer games. But stopping people (who don't play their newer games) from playing their older games isn't going to switch them over.

What I can't comprehend is when a whole set of players clearly show interest in the old games, why not make them available? EA has clearly looked at the cost vs profit margin of making their old games available and determined that it would cost more than it's worth. But I just can't wrap my head around that; I can't imagine that making the old titles available to buy would cost that much for them to do.

After reading the actual email, I'm a little bit less worried that EA will do this to PR. The email was very polite and it gave the impression that something monetary forced them to put out the cease and desist. Idk if the revive guys were making money of of this in some way, but PR is clearly not doing that, like Rhino said.
I would imagine EA already have this in the works. Origin and Ubisoft are literally giving away classic retro game titles. Steam is stuffed full of retro re-releases. I'd be very surprised if EA weren't planning an eventual BF2 and BF1 re-release with things like Steam Workshop mods as that would monetise all those free mods out there for them with people seeing all the mods in Workshop and hitting the buy button for the game

Old 2017-10-31, 11:47   #17
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Z Freeman View Post
I would imagine EA already have this in the works. Origin and Ubisoft are literally giving away classic retro game titles. Steam is stuffed full of retro re-releases. I'd be very surprised if EA weren't planning an eventual BF2 and BF1 re-release with things like Steam Workshop mods as that would monetise all those free mods out there for them with people seeing all the mods in Workshop and hitting the buy button for the game
Can't do that without also re-establishing the GameSpy servers.

Not to forget these games use to be on steam/origin for discount prices and they even sold them for like 90% off just before they took those servers offline.

Old 2017-11-01, 00:55   #18
Brozef

But the BattleLog guys bypassed the need for Gamespy by using their own hosting. EA could just do the same, but I doubt they would, they make too much money from new games to care about the old ones
Old 2017-11-01, 10:05   #19
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozef View Post
But the BattleLog guys bypassed the need for Gamespy by using their own hosting. EA could just do the same, but I doubt they would, they make too much money from new games to care about the old ones
Gamespy was owned by EA and was just their "own hosting" for profiles etc. They took it down since the cost of running the servers in their view wasn't worth it.

PS. We at PR also have our own servers that have replaced the Gamespy service, without them, you wouldn't be able to log in.

Old 2017-11-08, 05:23   #20
QuickLoad

lame, but EA has been getting worse and worse so this shouldn't be too big of a surprise.
and i agree revive team slightly shady.

atleast I got to play 2142 one last time...
Closed Thread

Tags
battlefield, clients, copies, distributing, game, revive, team, tells, top