project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
15 Sep 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Closed Thread

Old 2017-10-27, 21:30   #1
Madhouse
PR Server License Administrator

Default EA tells Battlefield Revive team to 'stop distributing copies of our game clients'

Quote:
Last year, Andy reported on the return of Battlefield 2142 via its fan-made Revive project. Electronic Arts has now stepped in, telling the mod's creators—who also oversee Battlefield Heroes and Battlefield 2 revival projects—to "please stop distributing copies of our game clients and using our trademarks, logos, and artwork on your sites."

The Revive Network project came in the wake of Gamespy's 2014 closure, with the aim of making Battlefield 2142 et al playable online free-of-charge. EA had originally planned to make its older games playable at the time, however reversed this decision shortly after as a result of "significant technical hurdles". While not officially sanctioned, this decision appeared to justify the Revive Network's position.

The Revive Network team has however now posted the following statement:

We will get right to the point: Electronic Arts Inc.’ legal team has contacted us and nicely asked us to stop distributing and using their intellectual property. As diehard fans of the franchise, we will respect these stipulations.

Over the past 3 and a half years, Revive Network has filled a void in nearly 1 million players’ hearts by bringing favorite titles back to life after online services were closed after the GameSpy shutdown. Only a few months ago, we took on the task of bringing multiplayer services online for a fan-favorite, Battlefield Heroes. The public reception for our efforts on this title were massive, and we never expected it to become as big as it was.

At this time, file downloads will be disabled.

This is probably the part where we have to say good bye. Before we leave the battlefield, we would like to thank all of the developers, artists, moderators, and last but not least every single player that helped make all of this a reality. Without you, it would not have become such a great time.

Signing off,

- The Revive Network Team

EA's statement to the Revive Network Team can be read in full over here.

Thanks, DSO Gaming.

EA tells Battlefield Revive team to 'stop distributing copies of our game clients' | PC Gamer

Will this effect Project Reality?

Old 2017-10-28, 00:28   #2
3===SPECTER===3

Default Re: EA tells Battlefield Revive team to 'stop distributing copies of our game clients

This sucks I'm just surprised EA's legal team had someone bother to send a cease and desist after these guys. It seems so innocuous to me. I understand that it's EA's property, and someone else is using it without their permission; but no-one is using this maliciously or making money off it. They're just doing it for the love of the game.

I also don't understand how EA wouldn't see this interest in their old games as a money making tool. Is there really that much overhead cost to put their old games like BF1942 and BF2 onto Origin for people to pay for and download?

I get that there's technical hurdles to overcome, but does the cost of getting around those issues really outweigh the potential for people to pay for a game that you don't even have to support or work on anymore? Idk

I guess just hope that the EA legal sentinels don't stumble deep enough into the PR website to realize they're running it as a standalone game.

Old 2017-10-28, 01:20   #3
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: EA tells Battlefield Revive team to 'stop distributing copies of our game clients

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3===SPECTER===3 View Post
This sucks I'm just surprised EA's legal team had someone bother to send a cease and desist after these guys. It seems so innocuous to me. I understand that it's EA's property, and someone else is using it without their permission; but no-one is using this maliciously or making money off it. They're just doing it for the love of the game.

I also don't understand how EA wouldn't see this interest in their old games as a money making tool. Is there really that much overhead cost to put their old games like BF1942 and BF2 onto Origin for people to pay for and download?

I get that there's technical hurdles to overcome, but does the cost of getting around those issues really outweigh the potential for people to pay for a game that you don't even have to support or work on anymore? Idk

I guess just hope that the EA legal sentinels don't stumble deep enough into the PR website to realize they're running it as a standalone game.
There are people at EA who realize it, just not the right people yet. I had discussions with a few of them while in LA. There were people who were aware of Revive at their events, but likely the information needed time to work its way up the chain to anyone who either had the authority (or cared enough) to make a decision.

We're probably at a point where a few well-placed emails could incite the same people who notified Revive to notify Realitymod. Right now its more of a game of "how inconvenient would it be for them to actually do anything about it." Because EA is likely more distracted by other things to care... but if something like Revive attracts their attention, it could start a domino effect of actions... if their legal team realizes what exactly has been happening.

To prevent it... I would just try to stay as far away from EA's branding as possible, and just hope that they ultimately don't care enough to microscope anything here to figure out what is actually happening.

Old 2017-10-28, 08:37   #4
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

From my limited understanding, the final straw was them taking BF:Heros and setting it up to make money from microtransactions from it, as well as through ingame advertising etc.

Since here at PR we are not making any money/profit at all from what we do (we have in fact pump a lot of our own money into it over the years) and also our only sources of funding that go directly to running our servers/website, come from these forums though both advertising and donations, we are not abusing EA/DICEs work for our own financial gain.

Old 2017-10-28, 08:57   #5
HOLLYWOODY
Banned

Downloading Project Reality 1.4.18

https://reviveheroes.com/notice/

Last edited by HOLLYWOODY; 2017-11-03 at 00:09..
Old 2017-10-28, 10:40   #6
SWAT-

At least their playerbase will be able to settle down here and start playing a real game.
What a shame though
Old 2017-10-28, 11:00   #7
Xander[nl]
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Xander[nl]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3===SPECTER===3 View Post
I also don't understand how EA wouldn't see this interest in their old games as a money making tool.
They probably prefer people buying their newest games for 60 euros instead of replaying the old ones for a fraction of the original price.

Old 2017-10-28, 11:42   #8
mastercontrol90

My take on this is:

1. I've to say that revive people were a little shady, are we sure they weren't planning to get some money in a lucrative way?
2. Why revive closed down their forums? Couldn't just leave it open, removing any EA logo and patch their client to do not offer any download but only the patch necessary to run the game on their master servers? (this reinforces point one to me)
3. EA letter was surprisingly cool, on the other end I'm still convinced they want you to buy their new games, especially because they removed their classic games from online stores a while ago.
4. Neither PR or FH2 ppl weren't contacted by EA and they are around from longer, isn't it fishy?(still regarding point 1)
Old 2017-10-28, 14:58   #9
SShadowFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercontrol90 View Post
My take on this is:

1. I've to say that revive people were a little shady, are we sure they weren't planning to get some money in a lucrative way?
2. Why revive closed down their forums? Couldn't just leave it open, removing any EA logo and patch their client to do not offer any download but only the patch necessary to run the game on their master servers? (this reinforces point one to me)
3. EA letter was surprisingly cool, on the other end I'm still convinced they want you to buy their new games, especially because they removed their classic games from online stores a while ago.
4. Neither PR or FH2 ppl weren't contacted by EA and they are around from longer, isn't it fishy?(still regarding point 1)
I think the revive team is overreacting to this, EA just wants them to stop distributing their games, they can still provide the service (which they got authorization from EA to do), people can still torrent BF2/2142 and play revive, I also wonder what closing down their forums has to do with any of this.

This issue shouldn't affect PR as PR doesn't distribute the BF2 client nor uses any official BF2/EA logo, and considering for how long PR has survived with its own server and now with the standalone client, I don't think EA cares about it, they are protecting their intellectual property, that's it.

Doesn't make it less shitty thou.

[R-DEV]Spec:The suggestion is not accepted, I merely wanted to comment.
Old 2017-10-28, 15:43   #10
Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
From my limited understanding, the final straw was them taking BF:Heros and setting it up to make money from microtransactions from it, as well as through ingame advertising etc.
Nope, that's false. They were only going to allow people to purchase stuff from the store with ingame currency (which you could ONLY get through playing).

I'm not really sure what triggered this, since they did with BFH the same that they did with Revive BF2/2142 and even PR. They distribute the necessary files, and use their own master server. This wasn't a profit-driven endeavour, just passion for the franchise.

Sad though, so much effort down the drain. I guess this makes BF2 and BF2142 officialy dead. Goddamnit EA.
Closed Thread

Tags
battlefield, clients, copies, distributing, game, revive, team, tells, top