project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
23 Oct 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2019-07-31, 08:57   #101
Germanius_GER

Default Re: are the devs gonna do PR mod for SQUAD? PR:squad

Sadly i can't say the same thing.

It may look similar but provides a completely different gaming experience, a pretty shallow one compared to PR. And the simple addition of helicopters wont change anything.

Personally I don't care about view distance, weapon handling or graphics. The reason i played PR were people communicating, teamwork and different tactics/ approaches on how to play the game.

But this is so non existing or at least so rare in Squad that it is chocking.
Germanius_GER is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-31, 23:30   #102
dolmaface

Alright I am nearing the test release and announcement of my Project Reality inspired game mechanics mod. What Map/Layers is everyone interested in? It takes awhile loading, modifying, and saving each variant, so I am only going to do 3/4 for first release.
dolmaface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-31, 23:32   #103
dolmaface

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzhead View Post
Looks great man! hit me up on Discord if you need any help and I can try my best to give you info or send you in the right direction
Thanks, right now Wasti and Smed have been helping me on the discord, I'll let you know if I run into any issues. Once I get a good release working, maybe we can organize a day for gameplay testing it.
Old 2019-08-01, 00:18   #104
UncleSmek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzhead View Post
Well I'm not about to get into an argument with an account with username1212, throwing around accusations of deceit is not very helpful or productive.

We just had a pretty successful modding weekend in Squad, and more to come. Alot of problems of course and alot of things to iron out, but I think time will tell whether we are dedicated to modding or not.

One things for sure, building up modding community takes ALOT of hard work - it does not happen from peanut gallery comments - ALL the PR devs (and any passionate game dev) know it takes tons of BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS, many many hours and a great conviction to make a niche game like PR or Squad. It's so easy to critique and tear someone down, but we go on anyways because we believe in making a great experience..

As far as the "dollar bills", game devs are hardly rolling around in cash, its also a very volatile job compared to alot of other more steady work (my previous occupation/location was around the same standard to my current game dev job, but alot more stead work. I've worked hard at both and am proud to say we don't do alot of time crunch like other game studios, but I also probably put more hours in than I should)

I think overall, having patience and a level head when designing as complex a game as Squad or PR is something that is required.

Looking forward to seeing variations of PR mods in Squad, I think theres alot of room for experimentation, and its great to discuss it (without throwing around personal insults)
Trying to suger coat Squad or allude to LOTS AND LOTS OF THINGS BEING WORKED ON.

Squad failed and it let a lot of us down. There is so much to learn from PR but the Squad Devs simply cannot understand or will not understand. Squad wont survive long when something better comes out. Its just temporary and that makes me happy.
UncleSmek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-01, 02:48   #105
dolmaface

Everyone, I just released the first revision of ATHENA, a mod inspired by Project Reality. The vision of this mod is to produce gameplay and tactics similar to BF2: Project Reality. The following changes are made identical or very similar to Project Reality v1.5
  • FOB Disable Spawn Radius increased to 100m with 3 enemies
  • Rallies get destroyed after 60s unless within 100m of friendly HAB
  • Rally overrun radius increased to 125m
  • Instadeath

Future plans include removing ticket bleed, and making HABs smaller so that they are easier to hide. Also removing buddy rally, which I just haven't gotten to yet.

Available now in the workshop!
Last edited by dolmaface; 2019-08-01 at 03:15..
Old 2019-08-01, 08:10   #106
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by username1212 View Post
You're not supposed to build up modding community ffs. And we are not supposed to create PR mod to begin with.
You told us you will make sure squad will be moving towards PR gameplay and now what do we have here? Tell me how this is called in your book please. FOR ONCE stop evading inconvenient questions and give us a straight answer. If not for me then for EVERYONE ELSE who keeps asking the same question.
Don't start a pity party on your hard job, yes very productive and helpful but the product ended up wrong.

I'm not sure how long you have been playing PR or in the community. Who is hiding here? You can read thru my 12 years in this forum, and I've been very public about what I support over the years and what I do and do not like in the current Squad gameplay, thru posts and videos. An account with 3 posts that is in constant attack mode, is someone hiding IMO.

There might be a romantic notion that all PR players agreed about all features in PR, but that's not the reality. There were so many features that were implement in PR that were highly controversial and despised by a big portion of the PR playerbase.
When we removed the minimap, when we removed spawning options, when we added (then eventually removed) the harsh weapon deviation.

PR was about expeirmentation and finding a great experience thru that.

IMO Squad is very much continuing the spirit of modding, where BF franchise has largely dropped out of that market. If you don't support modding for Squad, thats fine, but to claim that is not a goal, is pretty contradictory to the spirit of this community.
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-01, 08:14   #107
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Dolmaface that is awesome! Looking forward to checking it out
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-01, 13:09   #108
redman0123

Dont forget to let people know on the Squad reddit!

"PROJECT ATHENA: A Hardcore Mod"

Edit: Does anyone know how we can go about getting a test server up for a few weeks? Once I get home from work Ill make a post on reddit.
Last edited by redman0123; 2019-08-01 at 14:33..
Old 2019-08-01, 16:18   #109
lespyd
PR Server License Moderator

@redman0123

We (HOG) might be able to setup a temporary instance for you to test. You can PM me if this is of interest, but may have scheduling issues in August as a few of us are on vacation. It'll help us test our new CPU as well, note it will be an unlicensed server however. I hope to get some data to prove that we can fully support a full player server without performance issues. Our limited testing has shown this is the case, but can use more testing. (The newest gen high frequency Xeons are very capable and outperform the stock i7-7700k's)
lespyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-01, 19:27   #110
dolmaface

I put a post on reddit here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/c...inspired_mod/?

Please help support it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman0123 View Post
Dont forget to let people know on the Squad reddit!

"PROJECT ATHENA: A Hardcore Mod"

Edit: Does anyone know how we can go about getting a test server up for a few weeks? Once I get home from work Ill make a post on reddit.
Getting a test server up for it would be great! So far I have tested it in singleplayer, I am really interested in testing the mod with about 10 people just to make sure everything is working before we get a full server going.

Tags
devs, gonna, mod, prsquad, squad