project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
03 Dec 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2022-02-10, 09:53   #1
mft004

Question Humping trees - prevention

Hi, I had a question about terrain or objects on it.
When some bots are driving along in a tank they might come to a tree and instead of working a way round it, they hump it and keep at it for ages. So I went to see if I could find the tree in the staticobjects tweak file but no luck; I'm guessing that for forests etc, the designer can paint a load of trees onto the map and those don't get mentioned in the tweak file. So I'm wondering, is there a setting which can be switched which would make the trees pass-through-able? That's what tanks can do when they come to a small fence or barbed wire, so hopefully it's something which is possible in the game.
Many thanks for any help here,
Mark
mft004 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-10, 16:54   #2
[R-DEV]​Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

Default Re: Humping trees - prevention

If bots drive into objects it's likely because the navigation mesh is wrong and tells them they can pass through when they can't.

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-11, 18:46   #3
mft004

Righto, thanks for the reply!
Old 2022-02-11, 19:25   #4
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

...definitely not how reforestation works

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-15, 15:15   #5
[R-CON]​LangMaster
PR:BF2 Contributor

To easily understand mft004 this is a navigation mesh that needs to be rendered for the map to have an ai support, it takes longes the bigger the map is, but also the bigger the map is, the less quality and size the navigation mesh can have so the map does not crash.

Take it as another terrain which tells bots where they can walk or drive, there is two of them one is for infantry which shows inside buildings, and then there is a vehicle one which has much more holes due to the vehicles being way more thicker than infantry, since we try to make the map not crash we reduce the quality of navmesh and so sometimes the hole of the tree gets overwrited or covered up which tells the bot that there is no trees and they just drive right into it.

LangMaster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-15, 17:44   #6
mft004

Many thanks for the explanation Lang and for those images. I had heard of the magical land of navmesh but never tried to understand it as I thought it needed premium software to edit; hence the reason for looking to deforest. If I was a tree, facing the choice of extermination or partnering up with a tank against my will, I don't know what I'd pick : )
Old 2022-02-15, 18:28   #7
[R-CON]​LangMaster
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mft004 View Post
Many thanks for the explanation Lang and for those images. I had heard of the magical land of navmesh but never tried to understand it as I thought it needed premium software to edit; hence the reason for looking to deforest. If I was a tree, facing the choice of extermination or partnering up with a tank against my will, I don't know what I'd pick : )
In fact, you just need blender which is free, and alot of patience. The worst part is that when something is finished it is packed into a file that cannot be reverse openned by a 3D software for any fixes, only the one who made the navmesh has the original files to do so.

Last edited by LangMaster; 2022-02-15 at 18:33..
Old 2022-02-16, 22:56   #8
mft004

Ah - that's a real shame. Still the possibilities with bf2 seem so vast to me that I'll forgive the devs for the imperfections. Not bad at all for an 05 game.