project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
13 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2010-05-28, 12:56   #41
j0g32

Default Re: [Code] Fast Roping Workshop

oh come on...

Guys, listen:

Hjid is trying to get away from the "old-fashioned" GrapplingHook. He is going to find a way to use "animations" and "animated-objects" instead ! And me for myself, I absolutely have to agree that this is will be a functionally working possibilty of how to add the fastrope-feature to BF2 !

In order to check the altitude of the chopper, I don't think a heightmap would be helpful. Better use "dummy-projectiles" (if it was possible the way Hjid suggested) or add kinda "dummy-GLTD"

j0g32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 13:52   #42
Hjid

I'm not sure if you actually can shoot a zipline out of a vehicle. I think you have to touch the ground to be able to shoot it.

I finally got the ropes rigged and I'm now trying to make a proper animation for them.

animated rope, kinda :P - Xfire Video
Hjid is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 14:14   #43
CCCode

Great! Now u need to add something like that to the BH and make it do an animation on keypress? Or u gonna do a dummyweapon that got the final anim as fire animation?

CCCode is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 14:34   #44
Hjid

I was thinking of adding them to invisible vehicles and spawn them by python when you change weapon in the BH. That way you can check if they are allowed to deploy the ropes before they actually drop them

If they were used as weapon animations the helis could drop them everywere, glitching into buildings/terrain and stuff like that.
Hjid is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 14:47   #45
j0g32

I think you should try to get the original PR-python-codes (not compiled)

how about tweaking the ReallyPoint\FOB\Sandbags-Deploy code for spawning objects ?!

Old 2010-05-28, 16:38   #46
=]H[= JakCurse
Supporting Member

You know, I was pondering the whole fastropes thing, and I came to the conclusion that if indeed it's practically impossible via coding means, would it be possible by representative means? Before I continue, by representative i'm referring to how surpressive effect on your HUD is representative of being pinned down and fearful for your life, and how Taliban breeching shotguns are representative of them smashing the door down, etc.
Well, would an option for representativeness be to allow players no fall damage if they fall < a certain height from the blackhawk? I'm no coder, but I'd like to think there's a way it could work. It's not sliding down ropes, but damn, it's close. It'd at least fill the void in the timebeing.

=]H[= JakCurse is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 18:25   #47
Arnoldio
Banned

Well yeah, its a workaround...
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-29, 18:55   #48
j0g32

I think the rope could work like that:

So we'll have 3 different objects:

the pilot-activated - "DEPLOY-COMMAND" (via Commorose) will make python spawn the "animated" rope object (1). It's just the same as the oilpump-static but it's representing a rope being thrown out of a chopper.
the animation will take several seconds to be finished but then it would repeat itself and start again and again from the beginning. Just have a look at Hjid's xfire video, just like that.
In order to prevent such a repeating python also has to start a timer wich counts until the animation has finished. After it's timed out, the rope will be deleted and replaced by another rope object, wich is "static" (2). Now the passengers should get a "message" (these orange ones wich tell you e.g. "Try again in a few seconds" etc.) so they all know the rope is ready tu use (=>Fastroping)
After the squad as left the chopper entirely the pilot can drop the ropes and get "unfreezed".
So the "DROP-COMMAND" will delete the static-rope and replace it by another "animated"-rope-object (3) wich shows the drop down animation.
Another timer will make sure that this animated objects gets deleted after finishing its animation.

That's it...

Old 2010-05-30, 00:29   #49
CCCode

Yea just insert that dummy vehicle thingy Hjid got in mind and we got FRs!!!

CCCode is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 21:43   #50
Imchicken1

If this actually works in the end, there's going to be alot of "i told you so" and "you lied to us!" 's directed towards the devs =P

I won't cluck for you
Imchicken1 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
code, fast, roping, workshop