project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
14 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2010-04-20, 21:12   #31
Hjid
Default Re: [Code] Fast Roping Workshop

I still haven't got the rope to get shot from a vehicle by attaching it to another projectile

I'm currently trying out to make the ropes as animated bundles, but I'm wondering about one question:

Can you succesfully spawn an animated object with python?

If you can, there should be no problem and the fastropes should work. But since the ropes are static and don't have any collision, the heli must either only be able to drop the ropes at a certain height above the terrain/object, or we would have to make several animated ropes with different length.

BTW: Do anyone know about a good to tutorial for getting animated objects into BF2?
Hjid is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-21, 23:21   #32
j0g32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjid View Post
I still haven't got the rope to get shot from a vehicle by attaching it to another projectile

I'm currently trying out to make the ropes as animated bundles, but I'm wondering about one question:

Can you succesfully spawn an animated object with python?

If you can, there should be no problem and the fastropes should work. But since the ropes are static and don't have any collision, the heli must either only be able to drop the ropes at a certain height above the terrain/object, or we would have to make several animated ropes with different length.

BTW: Do anyone know about a good to tutorial for getting animated objects into BF2?
You've got it ! I'd go the same "way"...

Nevertheless, I'd like to present some new ideas/tips but they were already mentioned before. Im sorry that I don't know who had talked about the following (in order to give back the credits):

Well, in Sandbox mod you are able to "FREEZE" objects; especially vehicles.
Someone used a freezed but pilot-manned "merlin" and threw out the rope from the back door.
Then he slid down.
Well, to be honest this is nothing revolutionarily new.

I see a new point to begin with: use the sbx "tools"/codes (if possible) for freezing and spawning objects. In this case this will be the helicopter itself and of course the rope. Maybe some "helper-objects". Depends on the way of thinking. As far as I know this was not done by python but I'm not 100per-cent sure about this.

Maybe I just wasted my time by writing these lines because no one is interested in fastroping anymore - I don't hope so ...

all the best
j0g32

j0g32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-21, 23:46   #33
Dev1200

So question

Why don't you just have the spawnpoint inside of the vehicle, like the chinook for example, and then throw a rope off of it? Gives the same effect ^^

Dev1200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-22, 18:16   #34
j0g32

I think the interior of a UH-60 Blackhawk is way too small for a spawn standing upright...
=> glitches

you thought of that stuff, right ?

YouTube - Project Reality chopper action and fastroping.

Old 2010-05-23, 16:19   #35
dunem666

Send a message via MSN to dunem666

If its possible in BF2142, it MUST be possible somehow on BF2/PR.

Has anyone looked into the Vehicle models rather than all the code stuff?

EXAMPLE
The Tailgate on the chinook opens and closes, why not add a rope to a swinging door on a BH?

Chage the placement of where the player exits the vehicle to where the rope is... jump out... grab rope... slide down.

Everyone is laffing at me right now but Georgian conflict use this system with there winch system. Just lame MOD devs being anal about sharing their work

dunem

dunem666 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-23, 19:46   #36
Hjid

I understand why the Georgian conflict devs won't share their stuff with other mods. Being a small mod they really need to have some unique features to attract players. Being a realism mod, they have a hard competition with PR.

But I have some good news

If you add an animated static (like the oil pumps in vBF2) to a vehicle, you will be bale to spawn them with python on a dedicated server. I am currently trying to make the ropes as animated bundles and it is working out quite well. I have succesfully managed to import a simple animated yellow box into bf2 without bugs, and I'm currently trying to animate the rope objects.

The "freeze" command in sandbox is infact pure python coding and can easily be used for holding the heli still. To check if the heli is high enough over the ground you could either shoot some sticky projectiles or projectiles that won't slide downhill and chack their height or you could make python read an external heightmap image of the map like in the wookie sniper mod.

I am quite busy at the time so don't expect me to have this finished in a week. If you want to help me, feel free to provide refernces of fastropes in real life and later on, testing stuff.

Anyway, the fastropes looks possible to do now, but don't be dissapointed if they don't work. I don't really see the need for fastropes when the helis has no collision on the rotors :P. But if the devs change their minds and somehow adds them, then fastroping might be a preferred way of insterting people.
Hjid is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 01:12   #37
Gosu-Rizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjid View Post
Anyway, the fastropes looks possible to do now, but don't be dissapointed if they don't work. I don't really see the need for fastropes when the helis has no collision on the rotors :P. But if the devs change their minds and somehow adds them, then fastroping might be a preferred way of insterting people.
Sounds great, good job Hjid! And im sure that if fastropes actually make it into PR it will be the ONLY way to insert people

Keep it up, good luck
Gosu-Rizzle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 23:43   #38
j0g32

didn't I say that thousands of times ?
It is possible !^^

Great job dude, hang on, hang on !
If you need any support let me know I'd really like to help you

All the best
j0g32

Old 2010-05-27, 23:57   #39
Jonny

An external heightmap to check the helis height wont work well, it will lead to sampling errors when near buildings.
Jonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 06:33   #40
Imchicken1

jw, and this has prob been suggested, but i've never seen anyone suggest the Ziplines from BF2 SF. Would those be any easier than grappling hook?

I won't cluck for you
Imchicken1 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
code, fast, roping, workshop