project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
15 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2018-03-16, 16:52   #11
DogACTUAL

Default Re: are the devs gonna do PR mod for SQUAD? PR:squad

I agree.

SQUAD right now:

-Laser guns that hit everything with no effort.
-Seatswitching in mere moments, can easily solo any vehicle, no other crewman needed (also no crewman kits).
-Bloated HUD with a lot of unnecessary stuff (instead of displaying info when map is opened). Nametags over friendlies instantly at any distance so fuck the whole concept of PIDing before u shoot, game does it for you.
- "supply points" increase all by themselves, so logistics are just a fancy option but not really needed. Fuck the concept of being dependent on proper logistics.
-Pace is way too high, even in V10 it is way too easy to defeat an enemy that was set up by just rushing him and aiming well.
-Explosions and grenades that seemingly are devoid of any fragmentation.
-No sniper class. XD
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 17:03   #12
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

"All it takes" is for someone to step up and make it happen, if that's what (some) people want to see .

Afaik there are no PR devs/cons looking into such a thing, so it'd be up to the community really.

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-17, 16:16   #13
DesmoLocke
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to DesmoLocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
I agree.

SQUAD right now:

-Laser guns that hit everything with no effort.
-Seatswitching in mere moments, can easily solo any vehicle, no other crewman needed (also no crewman kits).
-Bloated HUD with a lot of unnecessary stuff (instead of displaying info when map is opened). Nametags over friendlies instantly at any distance so fuck the whole concept of PIDing before u shoot, game does it for you.
- "supply points" increase all by themselves, so logistics are just a fancy option but not really needed. Fuck the concept of being dependent on proper logistics.
-Pace is way too high, even in V10 it is way too easy to defeat an enemy that was set up by just rushing him and aiming well.
-Explosions and grenades that seemingly are devoid of any fragmentation.
-No sniper class. XD
You haven't played Squad in a while have you?

PR player since 0.5 (Feb 2007)
DesmoLocke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-17, 18:02   #14
Psyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoLocke View Post
He has a point about the name tags.

Also i was in what could only been described as a vanilla bf2 style meatgrinder the other day, because the fobs dont get overrun. so they built an fob in compound on the center of the flag and the enemies fired down on it from a hilltop.

...but back on topic. there is already a helicopter mod, so things are progressing.

But im baffled by the lack of devs trying to iron out the name tags and not copying the rally and fob system that PR has.
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-17, 20:03   #15
Murphy

The name tags will likely stay to help new players and alleviate all those scenarios in PR in which you get TKed just as you get in perfect flanking position. The real issue is how the medic system is handled, playing medic in Squad is the most frustrating experience you can have in the game. You're stuck in the same situations as PR (guy got shot in the open with 20 enemies looking down the street and is still spamming "MEDIC!", or better yet you're downed and a random medic gets you up before clearing the area) but you're given no reprieve short of having another medic around. Once you go down as medic you're pretty much giving up 90% of the time, oh did I forget to mention that because the Medic role is such a difficult and often thankless role no one wants to take the kit?

Spawns, logistics, and weapon balance is all up in the air and I believe subject to change if/when the dev team feels it to be warranted. The pacing is much quicker than PR, brought about thanks to the very forgiving Rally system and the player-base usually giving up the second their bodies hit the ground. I think the dev team is content with the majority of their changes to the standard PR formula, and for the most part I agree. It has been stated numerous times that Squad is the evolution of PR not just copy/pasta to UE4 engine. We have to come to gripes with the fact that PR doesn't interest the majority of FPS gamers, OWI is working to bring players in from other communities and so far it is working nicely.

I'm sure if someone wanted to make a mod for Squad that is closer to PR it would get noticed and likely find a following, you would likely have to start a community for it (host a server) but I'm sure it would be met with applause.

Murphy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-17, 21:45   #16
sirfstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
We have to come to gripes with the fact that PR doesn't interest the majority of FPS gamers, OWI is working to bring players in from other communities and so far it is working nicely.
tbh i'd say so far it only brings some weird and really small amount of people who is just tired with RO/INS/BF.
4K daily and stably declining until another v* drops and so on is not far from what PR had in its best years.

on the other hand if they were more confident with what they want to make, not something between PR and BF but closer to whatever side of that (i lack english skills to describe that properly) it would be more popular.

"neither fish, flesh, nor fowl"
Last edited by sirfstar; 2018-03-17 at 21:59..
Old 2018-03-18, 13:09   #17
Cossack
Supporting Member

I played as medic for 4 years straight in PR, and I agree with Murphy, medic system at current state is not rewarding at all and requires a lot of effort to little to no gain from it. So far, Squad fails to deliver for me.

So would not mind having PR mod to be made to improve the gameplay.

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-18, 17:36   #18
Murphy

The majority of players and servers active in Squad right now are not from PR, a large part of the community comes from RO2 and INS (you mentioned these two games so you seem to already know). PR players are largely disappointed with the lack of vehicles and the map selection seems to be less appealing to PR vets than to players coming from smaller environments, which I suppose makes sense considering PR has a shitload of maps (for us to pick Muttrah or Saaremaa from).

Frankly speaking, I doubt the Squad devs were banking on the PR community to just jump ship instantly. They have a plan in place to appeal to the broadest audience they can where milsim games are concerned, and let's not have any delusions as to what PR and Squad look like to the outsider. If they had planned on making money selling Squad solely to PR players it would've failed already, and that is likely why the other attempts at bringing the PR concept to a new engine didn't get off the ground.

Play Squad for what it is, don't play it because you want PR with newer assets and gun models.

Murphy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-19, 03:04   #19
[R-DEV]​Psyrus
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
SQUAD right now:
- Nametags over friendlies instantly at any distance so fuck the whole concept of PIDing before u shoot, game does it for you.
Agreed about the nametags, even if I could toggle them off on the client side so they don't get in my way while trying to shoot at range I'd be happy. If some noobs need them because they're not used to IDing targets based on uniform due to being spoonfed by the BF series etc, I can live with that. Just don't clutter my screen unnecessarily

The supply points thing, you're completely wrong about. Even since v9 supply points have not been auto-generating. You need logistics trucks.

In fact the supply system where you can now pack up unused supplies & ammo from an existing fob and move them over to newer ones is superior to PR in many ways, IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
I agree with Murphy, medic system at current state is not rewarding at all
Yeah I'm not a fan of the medic kit right now, especially the strange activation delays that have been put in place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Play Squad for what it is, don't play it because you want PR with newer assets and gun models.
This is the best advice in my opinion.

As for a PR:Squad mod, I think some enterprising people will take it upon themselves to make a mod like that once helicopters and tanks are officially in the game. If it's something you want to see, I highly suggest bringing together a small team and getting to work learning how to "code" in blueprints... it takes a couple of months to get really comfortable with it and learn how squad does things.
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-19, 04:01   #20
Incognito84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoLocke View Post
They fixed a lot of that but the pace is still way too fast due to the small maps/play area and the lack of restrictions on FOBs/HABs/RPs. Spawn points of all kinds encircle a contested objective on all sides and then it turns into a meatgrinder with people zerg rushing in to duke it out TDM style. Vehicles are pretty disposable too. PR doesn't have that so much as the maps are much bigger and the way spawns work is a lot more limited.

Squad is still salvageable if they give the same love to the game modes and balancing that they gave to movement and shooting with v10, but I'm still a bit skeptical. Thankfully there's also PS and HLL on the horizon.
Last edited by Incognito84; 2018-03-19 at 04:09..

Tags
devs, gonna, mod, prsquad, squad