project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
13 Aug 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2022-07-02, 18:19   #1
BigBigMonkeyMan
Supporting Member

Default Remove (or update) Karbala

Karbala is a very outdate map. The roads and city do not make any sense, most caches are difficult defend except by very coordinated teams, most of the city is untraversable because there is so much open ground between buildings and cover, making it so easy for AR's and snipers to camp those long roads. So many alleyways to get around the southern part of the city are blocked. The palace cache to the SE of the city is indefensible as is the warehouse factory area because only one hideout can be built in that compound. It basically plays like a 1K map with several outlying areas that can all be easily camped from far away. The lack of cover on the roads that are 100 meters wide for some reason is frustrating as is the lack of strongpoint buildings in most of the city. The little outlying city area connecting the mosque to the rest of the city is just pointless because any hideouts built there are spotted easily. The US Army layer I just played is just atrocious in terms of balance (really, a GMG stryker, normal stryker, bradley, and kiowa?)

The map does not look or play to current PR standards, I am sorry to say.

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"
BigBigMonkeyMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-02, 22:29   #2
Nightingale

Default Re: Remove (or update) Karbala

I see RedFor win this map quite often, maybe even more than 50% of the time, at least for STD layers.

But yes I agree it's really not up to the standards of today's PR maps. I'd even argue that Al Basrah has the exact same problems but it's even worse (it's more like a 0.5km map). I get really sick of playing 1 round on Karbala, then a mapvote occurs, and then Al Basrah wins the vote so we play what is essentially the same thing all over again...

If it was my decision to make, then at least one of these maps would be removed from the game. Or better yet, both of them.

IGN: 1993 TOYOTA_PREVIA
Nightingale is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-03, 04:11   #3
Duster-420
Banned

Its because of hipsters like you Operation Archer got removed. Now you want Karbala gone too?

If anything they need to keep the map and move the main base back to the G2 Mega Mosque where it originally was and bring back the Apache AH 64 for the US layer, which made the map a true Iraq war simulator.

The apache was removed from Karbala when the game limit was still 64 players. Now at 100 players it should be re-added on the U.S. layer. And add a few Zeus trucks on INS side for balance and GG.

Also some minor 3rd world slum villages on the south side of the map in the empty blank desert like the ones on al basrah and as well as expand the refinery area to give the INS more cover.

Instead of suggesting to remove maps how about suggesting ways to make them better.
Duster-420 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-03, 10:39   #4
InfantryGamer42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster-420 View Post
Instead of suggesting to remove maps how about suggesting ways to make them better.
Main issue here is everything except of total rework (Gaza style) will fail short of goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
I see RedFor win this map quite often, maybe even more than 50% of the time, at least for STD layers.

But yes I agree it's really not up to the standards of today's PR maps. I'd even argue that Al Basrah has the exact same problems but it's even worse (it's more like a 0.5km map). I get really sick of playing 1 round on Karbala, then a mapvote occurs, and then Al Basrah wins the vote so we play what is essentially the same thing all over again...

If it was my decision to make, then at least one of these maps would be removed from the game. Or better yet, both of them.
While I see your point, I do not agree. Al Basrah is fine map and it did got rework some time ago. Main issue is size. 1km maps sadly are small for full servers in most cases.
Last edited by InfantryGamer42; 2022-07-03 at 10:44..
Old 2022-07-03, 18:57   #5
BigBigMonkeyMan
Supporting Member

Al Basrah would be much easier to rework. Simply build up the city in a similar style as the rest of the city so that the edge of the city reaches to the northern edge of the factory district, and also expands out more westward. Then move VCP further north to compensate. Make the outlying little town a little bigger maybe, give the island more cover/ houses on the outer edge. Also give the insurgents an outlying spawn IN ADDITION to the city mosque spawn so that campers can't just camp the main road. If this makes it harder on BLUFOR just add a bridge from the far eastern side of the map to the island. The city itself is thoughtfully designed and traversable with lots of good strongpoint buildings and cache locations.

Karbala on the other hand has a large city but it just doesn't make sense. Cache locations are mostly predictable. Even if OPFOR wins a lot, the only way I have seen them do it is to mine spam. Mines are valuable tools for INS but I don't think I have seen them spammed to the degree they are on this map.

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"
BigBigMonkeyMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-03, 19:59   #6
puffkiller

Let those open areas grow more shrubs,Put more car wreckage on the street?
Add a back door exit to the main mosque?some bad guys will stare at your main exit?I was killed at the main mosque?
A better way is to create a new rebel map?I have original maps, but I don't know how to create cache?
puffkiller is offline Reply With Quote