project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
17 Jun 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2011-05-23, 16:48   #61
cyberzomby

Default Re: Dead Island

Yea it looks really cool. A bit of a different take on zombie games with the entire free roaming part.
cyberzomby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 18:30   #62
Jigsaw

Default Re: Dead Island (PC / Console Game)

Intriguing. Doesn't look quite as awesome as I had hoped.

There are things I like, for example the size of the island and inherent re-playability that brings and the general concept of free roam zombies is really cool. However I would have preferred it to be 3rd person, like Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare, which is easily my favourite zombie game ever.

There is a lot not to like from that trailer though, like XP which just looks like a very gamey and unnecessary addition, and the hud in general just looks odd. I don't like how the player was basically bunny-hopping out the way of most of the zombie attacks, and the melee combat looked pretty basic for a game with that as the central focus of combat.

Like Cole I was hoping for an atmospheric free roam zombie survival, with the same kind of intense atmostphere as Resident Evil or Dead Space, or a game version of The Walking Dead but that just looks very gamey and unimaginative.

Still interested, but rapidly losing my hard on.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end... "
Jigsaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 19:28   #63
LiquidSnake

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidSnake Send a message via MSN to LiquidSnake

I am disappointed by the gameplay trailer. as mentioned before, the game fails at making you feel terrified by the zombies. The hud and the whole "+2xp" stuff that appears on the screen and the healthbars hovering over the zombie make it look like bulletstorm and greatly takes away from the atmosphere imo. I would've gone for a simpler more sleek hud. Secondly, I am also disappointed by some of the choices they made concerning the weapons. it is ok that they want to concentrate on melee combat, because they say that guns and ammo are scarce. But why are they using machetes that also electrocute the zombies? or the throwing knife with the c4 on it? I mean srsly? what are you more likely to come across on an island? C4 or guns n ammo?

not gonna buy

LiquidSnake is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 21:14   #64
Zerostar11

Agreed with the Jigsaw and LiquedSanke.

I was hoping for a realistic game, where you had to constantly look for supplies and be afraid of fighting zombies. I wanted a game like the first trailer showed, in which one person couldn't slash through mountains of enemies by bunny hoping...I was hoping that the only way to take out a giant horde was by guns and melee was for taking our small groups, else you would just have to run.

Game just looks like a free roam version of L4D to me, which isn't bad I guess. But I was just expecting something more awesome and different.
Zerostar11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 22:48   #65
Arnoldio
Banned
Default Re: Dead Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledo1222 View Post
With Left 4 dead Elements. Witch is kinda of a win, win
I happen to dislike both of them, lol.

I was looking for more PR-ified zombie game, but yeah, wishes, wishes...
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 00:14   #66
Saobh
Retired Moderator

Looks like a console game ...

The only acceptable 'Lone Wolf' you'll be allowed to play : http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

Saobh is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 00:15   #67
WelshManDan
Supporting Member

I agree with everything jig/snake said. I was hoping for something completely different from this game, not an incredibly arcadey game with zombies.

I was also hoping for it to be Third person, as its just such a better choice for a zombie game (imo), although FPS is also cool and wouldnt of mattered had they not put all of the stuid "bonus xp!" icons flashing all over the screen.

I wish this game had brought a new era of zombie games, with really dark and gritty storyline mixed with gritty/realistic combat (having to run away if there are too many zombies, fighting only when you can, entering dark buildings and fighting CQB with zombies), it could have been so, so good. But now they made this, and it looks awful.
WelshManDan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 05:13   #68
cyberzomby

Good point about the melee combat there Jigsaw. Have not thought about that. The hopping disappointed me as well. I'm not that bothered by the xp and leveling up. Gives me something else to do.
cyberzomby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 07:19   #69
hiberNative

man i love arcade games, and this will be great.

-
hiberNative is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 07:27   #70
bosco_
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Just pack a hardcore mode with minimalistic HUD and be done with it.

bosco_ is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
console, dead, game, island