project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
28 Sep 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2009-01-10, 20:38   #1
Wing Walker
Default Winter Ops Anyone...?

Simple Q...
Have the DEVs or anyone ever thought about an Arctic / winter map? Opinions?
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 20:46   #2
Priby
Supporting Member

Default Re: Winter Ops Anyone...?

Often enough, i think:P

Priby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 20:51   #3
xatu miller

Has been suggested many times before. I suggest to search before suggesting. It would be possible to make but the pure amount of time to make different sounds different statics different vehicles etc would be pure madness.

"Intermolecular interactions in the flake's matrix could be weakened by the plasticizer [water], leading to the solubilization of some components, and to a decrease in mechanical integrity."
READ: Water makes cereal soggy.
xatu miller is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 20:56   #4
supahpingi

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.Txatu miller View Post
Has been suggested many times before. I suggest to search before suggesting. It would be possible to make but the pure amount of time to make different sounds different statics different vehicles etc would be pure madness.

suggesting searching before suggesting has been suggested before,i suggest you search before you suggest ppl to search if a suggestion has been suggested before....

wait,what?

maybe with the russians there might one day be a winter map

supahpingi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 20:59   #5
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

Thought of, and declined on the basis that it basically involves retexturing every single static and vehicle that's used for the map, along with creating a bunch of new statics (snowy trees etc) and ground textures.

That's a lotta work for a single or a small number of maps, especially when there's so much else that can be worked on that can benefit a large number of maps at once (new vehicles, code etc).

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Masaq is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 21:04   #6
Hitperson
Retired PR Developer

snow is also incredibly dificult to do as a particle effect.

Harrod200:"Fire.exe has committed an illegal operation and has been shut down"
Raniak : "Warning: May crash if fired upon."
M4sherman: "like peter pan but with tanks"
[R-MOD]Eddiereyes909 (on sim tower) "It truly was the game of my childhood and has led to me getting my degree in industrial engineering."
Hitperson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 21:07   #7
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Korengal has a bit of snow, but yeah retexturing is a hard part. But not imposable.

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
CodeRedFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 21:43   #8
AREM117

To make it simpler I suggest using a NATO faction versus CATA faction that way all that would need to be done is certain vehicles and models maybe a community mod that could be implemented.
AREM117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 21:45   #9
Hitperson
Retired PR Developer

someone's spent to much time in the tourney forums me thinks...

Harrod200:"Fire.exe has committed an illegal operation and has been shut down"
Raniak : "Warning: May crash if fired upon."
M4sherman: "like peter pan but with tanks"
[R-MOD]Eddiereyes909 (on sim tower) "It truly was the game of my childhood and has led to me getting my degree in industrial engineering."
Hitperson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 21:52   #10
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

It's still retexturing both faction's soldiers, (or complete new soldier models or at the very least, new kit geometries), creating a convincing set of ground textures, some new statics such as snowdrifts and snow-laden trees and retexturing trees, buildings and roads.

That's before you even add a single vehicle, or look at the need for new effects - like the impact of a bullet into snow/ice, soldier's breath in cold air, etc.

So as Code Red says - no it's not impossible by any means, it's just a large amount of work to do it, if you're going to do it well.

A community group could certainly do it, but for now I can't see anyone on the Dev team doing it when there are other priorities.

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Masaq is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
ops, winter