project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
05 Oct 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2022-02-08, 21:25   #1
PotatoLord

Default [Vehicle] T-55A Main Battle Tank

So I'm working on this T-55A for some factions that need it (like the Syrian Faction that is currently stuck in development hell), I've only put like a handful of hours worth of work into it so far so it goes without saying that it's super early work in progress but here's what I've got.

It's about 7k tris without the cupola (yoinked from the T-62 model, they're the same irl anyways) and I'm aiming for around the ballpark of 15k once fully complete. I've done 3d for like over 2 years at this point but I'd say this is my first real piece for PR, aside from some very minor work I did for the Indonesia Faction Mod Team. I want to create more models for PR after this one and I've got a few ideas so I'm happy to hear feedback

(I am aware of some inaccuracies with the side skirts, I'm gonna fix that asap)
PotatoLord is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-08, 21:49   #2
InfantryGamer42
Default Re: [Vehicle] T-55A Main Battle Tank

Nice to hear, hope for modeling without issues on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoLord View Post
yoinked from the T-62 model, they're the same irl anyways
I do not know. I am pretty sure there are other little differences between two turrets (except of course gun, which you already replaced if I am correct).
InfantryGamer42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-08, 22:04   #3
PotatoLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfantryGamer42 View Post
Nice to hear, hope for modeling without issues on this one.

I do not know. I am pretty sure there are other little differences between two turrets (except of course gun, which you already replaced if I am correct).
The turrets are completely different, I'm talking about the copula with the machine gun

T-62 copula

T-55 copula

The shape of the hatch may be very slightly different, so I may have to tweak that
Old 2022-02-08, 22:48   #4
InfantryGamer42

Ok, I got you now. Model currently looks nice for unexperienced eye. Keep good work! Can not wait for this and Stryker MGS.
Last edited by InfantryGamer42; 2022-02-09 at 14:21..
Old 2022-02-14, 21:36   #5
PotatoLord

Update, I got most of the low poly detail (save for the wheels) nailed, there's still a lot of detail I plan to include on the normal map not yet included though

You can see it's up to 10k tris with the cupola included, this will definitely come in below 15k tris, probably something like 12k in its complete state
Old 2022-02-15, 05:55   #6
[R-DEV]​camo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Nice work! T-54/55 has been sorely missing all these years it'll be great to finally get one in game.

You probably know this but I would say though, before you get too far, to keep an eye out for the endless asymmetry of tanks. Turrets especially are almost never a mirror image. This tank for example has the gun mounted to the right of the centre line of the turret, and the turret is mounted left of the centre line of the hull. Plus the turret hatches don't line up with each other either.

(these pics aren't from the t-55a but from the t-54, t-54b and t-55 respectively but you get the idea)

camo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-15, 07:48   #7
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Make sure to post some wireframe images so our artists can give some technical feedback as well!

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-15, 21:39   #8
PotatoLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
Nice work! T-54/55 has been sorely missing all these years it'll be great to finally get one in game.

You probably know this but I would say though, before you get too far, to keep an eye out for the endless asymmetry of tanks. Turrets especially are almost never a mirror image. This tank for example has the gun mounted to the right of the centre line of the turret, and the turret is mounted left of the centre line of the hull. Plus the turret hatches don't line up with each other either.
I got the gun offset but good catch on the hatches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineral View Post
Make sure to post some wireframe images so our artists can give some technical feedback as well!

These should do, keep in mind that I haven't started optimizing the wireframes for most parts yet as I'm still working on the base mesh
Old 2022-03-08, 22:25   #9
UncleSmek

Good job!
UncleSmek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-11, 00:11   #10
PotatoLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSmek View Post
Good job!