project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
25 May 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2012-03-24, 07:39   #611
ToonS
Supporting Member
Default Re: Walking Dead (TV Show)

I loved how they were all crack head shot legends in a moving vehicle.
ToonS is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 05:16   #612
Murphy

[.Spoiler=Name] Blablabla [/Spoiler] w/o the .

And he reloaded between takes, ofc.

Murphy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 05:31   #613
Rissien
Supporting Member

Yeah well they could have done better with that. At the very least they showed everyone else switching weapons or getting back in the vehicle. With him they only showed him reload so they could sneak a zombie behind him... which was off in that it was the only zombie coming from that direction untill they suddenly appeared out of nowhere to surround the house to kill his wife when they went to escape.

MA3-USN Former

クラナド ァフターストーリー
Rissien is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 09:41   #614
Pantera

Does it really tick you guys off that he didnt reload much at all??

Come on! its a TV show!!!! imagine how annoying that scene would become if he had to reload every 7 shots.

Not for you, but for the director, the actor, the resources etc its easier to do it that way (cheaper too), plus it keeps the action going - you dont want to break the flow once it gets going, its a deal breaker for some reason.

TIME IS MONEY PEOPLE!!!!!

Pantera is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 18:00   #615
Spush
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

It bothers me that when Glenn and Maggie were in the car driving off, Glenn had the Shotgun pointing upwards, even when he's in the drivers seat.

Spush is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 18:36   #616
Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Spush View Post
It bothers me that when Glenn and Maggie were in the car driving off, Glenn had the Shotgun pointing upwards, even when he's in the drivers seat.
Yeah that was retarded, i cant even excuse the director for that one, just bad writing.

Pantera is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 20:02   #617
Murphy

I doubt that was written into the script, and as an actor he probably doesn't know weapon safety beyond what an obviously fail instructor has told/not told them. Another thing to possibly consider is the fact that Glen was a pizza delivery driver and he probably knows nothing about weapons beyond a brief given by Rick/Shane.

When a director pays enough attention to detail that he has his actors reload during filming it adds to the feel of desperation and panic. It also goes to prove the directors drive to make it as authentic as possible, even if the viewer doesn't consider it everything that goes on the screen is deliberate. It is a direct representation of the production skills behind a show/movie, so having the detail go that deep means the production values are a step above. (Same can be said about a lot of video games as well)

Spoiler for Hershel:
Having a stone cold Hershel is cool, but it felt like he went Rambo for a second and really he shouldn't be killing zombies so easily seeing as how he held the believe they were humans until the whole barn incident. It's another case of a character doing a huge turn around in reasoning and it doesn't sit well with me considering the style of writing they have had so far.

Murphy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 06:31   #618
Ninja2dan
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Pantera View Post
Does it really tick you guys off that he didnt reload much at all??
This is a complaint often heard regarding many movies and television shows. But there are generally two instances when this is seen as an issue: First is when a person is firing a weapon with breaks in scenes long enough to "assume" they were capable of reloading but it simply wasn't seen by the audience; and second, when a person continues to fire a weapon far beyond it's magazine capabilities with such short breaks between scenes/angles that it would be considered impossible to assume a reload was done.

Being a firearms professional myself, I really get annoyed at the second instance. Seeing someone running and gunning with a MAC-10 and burping out what seems like 1000 rounds over just a few seconds with no opportunity to reload is not only unrealistic, but makes the movie seem weak. But getting used to the "Hollywood Effect", I've learned to just laugh it off.

On the other hand, having worked in the production industry, I also understand that everything an actor does on camera must serve a vital purpose to the product. Every time we "pause" the action to watch someone reload, that eats into the films timeline. And there are literally hundreds of hours of filming that is left on the editing room floor because it was deemed not important enough to occupy the limited screen time. The fact is that if the directors/producers included everything they had already filmed and wanted included, movies would generally run 3-4 hours or more on average, instead of the "respectable" 1.5-2 hours we have now.

If there is a necessary requirement to have a pause in the action, or set up an actor for some specific event, then often times that is when/where a reload will take place. Sometimes the directors will add in a reload during dialogue, or when the camera pans out slightly to show someone sneaking up on them, but you would never see a realistic amount of reloading done in any film.

And yet another issue with including reloading on camera is that a lot of scenes are chopped up, cut here and there, pasted in where necessary. In many cases, an actor will fire a different quantity of shots during different takes of the same scene. So including reloading sequences would require a lot of additional work in having the editing crew keep track of how many rounds were actually fired for the take to be used on final, and then cut in a reload scene when needed. You're talking about hundreds of hours of work, which relates to thousands of dollars not deemed worthy of spending.

I think that the breaks between seeing Hershel blasting away were sufficiently spread out enough that we could assume he was reloading as needed, even if it wasn't necessary to actually show it on camera. There were plenty of other important moments that needed to be included in the timeline,so something as simple as speed-loading a shotty was probably not even considered a priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Spush View Post
There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, most law enforcement vehicles that use vertical mounts for shotguns and rifles will store them butt-down. What matters is that the safety is on, so the weapon can't accidentally be fired while stored or during removal from any mounting.

The only time it's highly dangerous to transit a firearm muzzle-up is in a helicopter, where possible accidental firing could penetrate the hull and strike the rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Spoiler for Hershel:
Having a stone cold Hershel is cool, but it felt like he went Rambo for a second and really he shouldn't be killing zombies so easily seeing as how he held the believe they were humans until the whole barn incident. It's another case of a character doing a huge turn around in reasoning and it doesn't sit well with me considering the style of writing they have had so far.
Spoiler for Hershel:
Hershel's entire opinion that they were still "human" was due to lack of knowledge, considering in the TWD realm there were no fictional zombies as there exists in our real culture. He saw people he once knew walking around, although pretty fucked up and wanting to bite your damn face off. They probably just thought it was some sort of mental condition/madness, and that they were just "sick". But after hearing the real story from Rick's group, and seeing direct evidence of those facts, he obviously changed his opinion to be accepting of reality. From that point on, he no longer saw zombies as "humans", but as a deadly freak monster.

As for going "Rambo", it's been hinted at several times during dialogue and action that while Hershel might be a man of healing and faith and opposed to firearms, he himself has said he's quite familiar and skilled with their use. He knows how to use them, just didn't approve of it. During this event, times have changed and he's doing what he feels necessary to protect his family, friends, and property.

Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 13:16   #619
Arc_Shielder
Retired PR Developer

Poor writing in the final scenes for Lori and Rick. The first incomprehensibly repels and the latter bursts to a bipolar rage.

Arc_Shielder is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 15:44   #620
Johncro

Personally I don't think it is bad writing.

In the comics Lori is just the same as in the TV series.
Bipolar and stupid. I think they just adapted Comic Lori into an strungout TV Lori.
Johncro is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, show, walking