project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
28 Jan 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2014-06-22, 19:23   #1
Ragnarok1775

Default Je besoin un medecin???

The voice for the French soldiers calls out for a "m?decin".

Well. I hate to nitpick such a little thing, but a m?decin is a physician. In France they wear those long white lab coat robes from the early 1900s.

What you'll see with the groupe de combat is gonna be called an "auxiliare sanitaire" or aux-san for short. Like an American EMT (which does not exist in France) or combat medic. In la Legion it's more of an additional specialty (not enough manpower to justify having a "dedicated" medic, so pretty much anyone could be carrying both an aid bag and a machine gun or sniper rifle etc). There is also the "infirmier", which is a nurse, above the aux-san. But that is an NCO.

It's just a minor thing.

Ragnarok1775 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 19:41   #2
KaB
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Je besoin un medecin???

That's some clearly justified remark !

I must admit I absolutely didn't think about those details when I made the recordings, even though it sounds pretty obvious there aren't any "medecin" on the battlefield.
You'll notice I used "Toubib" on the alternative sound, which is more accurate I think (is it ?). But I didn't feel it right to say it for both sounds, so it naturally came out. Not sure what I could have said instead, you have any idea ?
KaB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 21:36   #3
Ragnarok1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaB View Post
That's some clearly justified remark !

I must admit I absolutely didn't think about those details when I made the recordings, even though it sounds pretty obvious there aren't any "medecin" on the battlefield.
You'll notice I used "Toubib" on the alternative sound, which is more accurate I think (is it ?). But I didn't feel it right to say it for both sounds, so it naturally came out. Not sure what I could have said instead, you have any idea ?
Ah, so you're the voice actor...? Awesome. Especially awesome because I'm not recording my voice to fix this...you don't wanna hear an American butchering your language.

You could have said "Aux-san!" or even "Aider!".

Toubib is an old slang word (like when Americans call their medics "doc") but actually comes from the Arabic word for doctor. In Algerian dialect it can mean "wizard". It's very similar to their word for "white person" since the only worthwhile doctors they ever had were white Frenchmen. Either I didn't hear the recording with this, or I didn't really pay attention to it. There is an old movie, "Le Toubib", about a surgeon and a nurse. So I don't know if that's really an accurate word...if I get shot you will probably hear a lot of "merde" and "putain" as well as "aux-san" and "aider".

It's not really a big deal, I mean, the American voice yells "medic" when in the real world people shout "doc" and also "corpsman" (in the Marines). That would be a neat thing to change also, but, what we have now still gets the job done, and you and me are probably the only people who know "medecin" isn't the precise word.

To whoever moved this to suggestions, sorry for posting in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where it should go.

Old 2014-06-23, 10:42   #4
Simple-jack1969

Well as a french myself, it don't really bother me to yell "medecin"
I know it isn't the right thing but it seems natural to me

Com Sink Pack Ram Set M-O-S 92 H-Tack Offspeck Pattywhack

Simple-jack1969 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-24, 02:32   #5
Ragnarok1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple-jack1969 View Post
Well as a french myself, it don't really bother me to yell "medecin"
I know it isn't the right thing but it seems natural to me
Well it's not really a big deal, not a glaring mistake or game-breaking bug. But while I'm thinking about it, hearing "follow me, soldiers" or "medic!" while on Fallujah (USMC map)...isn't accurate either. Maybe they should just yell "doc" so one sound file can be used for both Army and Marines...

Old 2014-06-24, 08:17   #6
[R-CON]​Spook
PR Tournament Management
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Aren't the USMC, US Army and Canadians are all using the same voices?

Spook is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-24, 10:02   #7
StevePl4y5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Aren't the USMC, US Army and Canadians are all using the same voices?
Yup. The Marines should have a few individual sound files I believe, so instead of "medic" they say "corpman" and instead of "follow me soldiers", they say "follow me marines".
StevePl4y5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-24, 22:17   #8
Ragnarok1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePl4y5 View Post
Yup. The Marines should have a few individual sound files I believe, so instead of "medic" they say "corpman" and instead of "follow me soldiers", they say "follow me marines".
If the devs want to save space, I would be happy with just "Doc!" for wounded (which is realistic in both the US Army and USMC) and maybe "Follow me!" instead of "Follow me, soldiers!" which sounds pretty lame anyway (like a BF1942 or COD phrase). Those phrases would be universal and you wouldn't need to make separate voices for both services.

Old 2014-06-26, 19:07   #9
Mikemonster

Ragnarok, you're an interesting guy. An American with a scandanavian username and clearly some experience in the French military, specifically the foreign legion.

Mikemonster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 20:48   #10
rampo

Send a message via MSN to rampo

All the factions should call out for starlight.

rampo is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
besoin, medecin