project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
25 Jul 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2021-06-08, 21:51   #1
Unicode
PR Server License Moderator
Lightbulb New Gamemode Idea - <Insert Name>

Good evening,

Remember one-life events? They offer an exotic experience compared to regular pub AAS matches and even tournament matches. The rules force the player to value his life and assets and play differently than usual. That makes PR feel more real, and I liked it and I'm sure others also did. Obviously one-life matches can only happen as events, but what if we elaborate on a new gamemode that:

1. encourages realistic, careful gameplay, where you would value your life and assets more instead of dying and respawning over and over again

2. doesn't kick the deceased players out of the match or make them wait for too long, so it can be run between other gamemodes

3. is viable and playable

The rough idea that came to my mind today is:

- A small amount of tickets per team depending on the number of assets (150-200?). This will make every death count from the very start, and the ticket count would be more or less equal to the number of tickets a team can lose if all troops and vehicles died simultaneously. Which means.. that it's basically a one-life event, but ends quickly. The playerbase would have to adjust and learn to play a bit differently to win in this gamemode. More team and squad cooperation required surely. If there's blueberries running around alone and wasting tickets, the rest of the team should try to show them the ropes and take them in. If they don't comply, everyone else will probably shittalk them, right.

- The respawn time would be a bit longer to serve as individual punishment for dying (and be a motivation to stay alive) and prevent severe ticket loss for the team. How long? I'd say 120-180 seconds.

- No flags? Nah, maybe 1 flag with a decent radius and long cap time, 2 tops - actual strategic positions worth controlling. Capturing a flag would give your team 10 tickets or make the enemy team lose 10 tickets. No ticket bleed.

- All assets are NO RESPAWN. And they spawn instantly. Except vehicles that are able to rush too effectively (light APC's, CAS), they would have to be delayed 2-3 minutes. The layers would not include many heavy assets due to their risk of being overpowered, depends on the map.

The purpose of this gamemode - Clash? - would be simulating the very start of a realistic battle between conventional factions, and encouraging less casual tactics and strategy. The problem would be urban maps with enterable buildings, the T-shape for example. We wouldn't want a squad to sit in one for the whole match, maybe the flags could be placed so these buildings are not in the cap radius. Surely this wouldn't work on some maps.

Once again, this is only a rough idea. I'd like to know: what do you think? I want to see if this makes any sense at all and if anyone would be interested in a gamemode/layer like this at all. If anyone has any criticism/feedback or additional ideas for this - the discussion is open.

If we discuss and experiment well, this could become a nice addition as a quick, competitive deployment match, like a bigger tryhard skirmish. With less flags, there would be more freedom for refined tactics, and no confusion often seen on CNC. Just pure hardcore competition full of risk.

Cheers everyone
Unicode is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-09, 07:37   #2
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Default Re: New Gamemode Idea - <Insert Name>

I like.

Nate. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-09, 08:04   #3
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
PR Server License Administrator

I doubt this would work with public games.
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-09, 08:11   #4
[R-CON]​Hans_Strudel
PR:BF2 Contributor

Reminds of Battlefield 3 with squad deathmatch mode where 4 squads fighting each other with only 15 tickets (2-3 deaths per squad member), promoting squad coordination. Felt really refreshing.

Also i already can see the flaws of such gamemode in PR:
1) People will be more tending to defensive approach. This might lead to exchanging mortar barrages until someone will get more lucky.
2) tank/ifv submarine warfare will be even more frustrating.
3) blueberries will drain tickets. you can't change that.

I like the idea but i afraid this is not a public gamemode. If only you could figure out how to promote more aggressive gameplay and deal with blueberries without wiping out 60% of server on such maps.
Hans_Strudel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-09, 09:16   #5
Unicode

Why exactly Alon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Strudel View Post
Reminds of Battlefield 3 with squad deathmatch mode where 4 squads fighting each other with only 15 tickets (2-3 deaths per squad member), promoting squad coordination. Felt really refreshing.

1) People will be more tending to defensive approach. This might lead to exchanging mortar barrages until someone will get more lucky.
2) tank/ifv submarine warfare will be even more frustrating.
3) blueberries will drain tickets. you can't change that.

I like the idea but i afraid this is not a public gamemode. If only you could figure out how to promote more aggressive gameplay and deal with blueberries without wiping out 60% of server on such maps.
Thanks for the feedback. I believe that we could try testing the configuration as events and see how it works out to further improve it.
1. That's true, so if there's no motivation to dynamic gameplay, there should be some kind of objective besides killing the enemy and staying alive. Should it be just a flag like described above?
2. That's why the assets should be limited. On most maps if there's a tank, it may decimate the whole team too easily. The gamemode would be focused on infantry and light vehicle combat, and utilize smaller layers on 4k maps. I would honestly disable mortars too.
3. It depends. If HOG runs the gamemode on EU morning with no-mics being the majority on the server, the match will end fairly quickly. Even then, the blueberries will become aware, that dying has more weight to it in, so I expect improvement to some degree. However, if it's an organised server with a mic requirement - take PR Boomers for example, and it's EU prime time, the gamemode should work out pretty well.

Obviously for starters an event is the way to go
Old 2021-06-09, 12:17   #6
Coalz101

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonTavor View Post
I doubt this would work with public games.
As Alon said, i doubt it would work in public games.

Simply being said the PR community is in a sense to varied for such a gameplay mode. When you get NA or SA squads who believe everything they do is right; a bunch of European squads that refuse to communicate with each other or Asian squads that refuse to listen to other squads or talk english. The game will end in a matter of 10 minutes of the first engagement because of langauge barriers and everyone thinking what they're doing is what everyone should be doing. I can give examples of this in a normal match, but I don't want to bash anyone in anyway for how they play, neither would I want someone to bash me in anyway for how I choose to play.

No mics aren't really a problem if they stick with the squad and play along instead of going out and doing their own thing like this is a battleroyale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Strudel View Post
Not many players play defensively no matter the game mode. I've been in games where an entire team decided to push and leave their flank exposed to a counter attack which potential cause them to be out capped and unable to recover.

And to be honest with a flag it will just feel like CNC, but with 1 Flag instead of 1 fob. And without the flag, its basically TDM. On gamemodes like this I'd advise not having UAV or heavy Air assets (CAS, anything with heavy guns honestly) it should be ground forces only and leave people to rely on what they think would be the best approach. I think there shouldn't be a ticket count, it should be ~1hr match and the team who lost the least assets (Inf included) wins. That might encourage more players to push honestly if there happens to be some that aren't.

Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-09, 13:04   #7
[R-DEV]​Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

I think it would work because what you're describing is basically current AAS but with way shorter round time. I wouldn't go for 3 minute respawn times though, I would limit repair&rearm as well.

I would however rather see CNC become this instead of adding yet another gamemode that would fall out of favor to AAS&INS, like CNC and VW already do.

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-09, 15:17   #8
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Hmm...yes I agree that I don't think it'll work as you describes it on public servers but I like it too.

Perhaps forcing one team to play more aggressive and other defensive. I'm getting countestrike thoughts in my head - one team has to attack within a timer(could be round end or until defending team caps the flags or something). Attacking team has better assets. It could even be that shitty unconventional factions could be used. And there could even be 2 points of defense like in Counter-strike. The team has to spread out and when they figure out where the attack is the other side will have to react - and the team that does this the best wins.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-09, 17:17   #9
Unicode

Good ideas!

CNC has the problem of FOB replacing. While it's interesting for experienced players, it confuses the hell out of newbies, and without proper leadership the gamemode ends up being unfun and dragged out.

Maybe we could change it this way:

-Both teams have predetermined FOB positions with ready emplacements EXCEPT MORTARS, and they're the only spawnpoints for each team (no main bases).

-One respawnable crate next to the fob, can't build/replace assets. 150 tickets per team, 120s respawn time.

-Once you lose the FOB you can spawn only on rally points, the crate can't be destroyed (respawns).

-Once you lose your FOB and everyone is dead/wounded - you lose, just like on vanilla BF2 maps without uncaps

-Once you drain your tickets - you also lose ofc

In this scenario both teams would need to defend and attack. I can imagine a sneaky breacher placing 2 c4's on the enemy FOB and fend off the defenders until it disappears to drastically lower their chance of victory by getting rid of their sole spawn point.

But this scenario wouldn't like vehicles.. it would need to be pure infantry combat due to the dangerous firepower even a light APC has, it would be too easy to destroy or camp the fob.

Alternatively based on sweedensniiperr's suggestion, it could become a counter-strike style gamemode. Well. Even better, something similar to the Rush gamemode in BF3! One team defends 2 points pretty close to each other - A and B. All you gotta do to win is place a c4 on each of them.

- Main bases with vehicles available

- Defenders - 150 tickets and a time-limited forward spawn point at the beginning

- Attackers - 200 tickets and slightly better assets

- Heavy assets respawn delayed - 2-3 minutes?

- Once the defenders lose both points (they can be beacons, radio stations, or just fob objects), they lose instantly

Everything needs further discussion and testing, but I think this could work.
Old 2021-06-10, 03:22   #10
Brotherscompany

Honestly l wonder if 3 flags wouldn't be the best option as it would a) have less of a impact of the team that you arrive first at the flag (Xiang Nam is the best example to this, NVA has less Mobility, and the US end up inicialy winning by getting there first) it would prevent the win condition by controlling the best area (like owning on TV Station)

Maybe have only 1 mortar with slower reload rate or higher ammo consuption to require actual logistic chain that's worth defending and preventing complete mortar obliteration while they still do their job on preventing Super FOB domination

It looks like a interesting concept, its sad that it came a bit too late.
Non the less l guess it could be a fun thing to play when the more experienced players are out, unfortunately l don't think it would be a good gameplay for a full server when is when that condition is usually met.
Brotherscompany is offline Reply With Quote