project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2008-05-28, 04:49   #21
Sirsolo

Default Re: Squad Fireteam Idea/Suggestion

I usually tell me squad to do what I say or I kick them... then they stay near me, fire when I say so, and bake me a cake when I want one.

=D Works for me.. and yeah, just commanding them singular...

I usually hunker down, and give individual marks for individual members.
Sirsolo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 11:11   #22
AnRK
Supporting Member

Depends what your role is as a squad, if your highly support based squad, with AT, Support gun, Marksman, Grenade launcher etc, then fireteams aren't as important. But when your assaulting and need to do lots of run and cover stuff, then you NEED some decent organisation.

I don't see why this shouldn't be in game though if it's simple to put in, you don't HAVE to use it.
Last edited by AnRK; 2008-05-28 at 16:47.. Reason: stupid grammar
Old 2008-05-28, 13:44   #23
00SoldierofFortune00

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnRK View Post
Depends what your role is as a squad, if your highly support based squad, with AT, Support gun, Marksman, Grenade launcher etc, then fireteams aren't as important. But when your assaulting and need to do lots of run and cover stuff, then you NEED some decent organisation.

I don't see why this should be in game though if it's simple to put in, you don't HAVE to use it.
Its there for people to use to make the game easier and if you don't want to use it, then don't. It if it so easy to put in, why not put it in because it will have a major effect on game?

"Push the Envelope, Watch It Bend"

Tool ~ Lateralus
00SoldierofFortune00 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 13:48   #24
00SoldierofFortune00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsolo View Post
I usually tell me squad to do what I say or I kick them... then they stay near me, fire when I say so, and bake me a cake when I want one.

=D Works for me.. and yeah, just commanding them singular...

I usually hunker down, and give individual marks for individual members.
Anyone can stay close as a squad, that is not the point of this suggestion, it is for SLs to spread their squads apart or actually effectively use fireteam suppressing fire or movement on a regular basis. Anyone can seperate the people in the squad right now and tell them where to go, but only in the best circumstances and when the game is moving slow. If you are assaulting a position with half of the enemy team or trying to take out a firebase, you think those fireteams are going to stay together in all that fire? No, if they duck down to hide and can't see the other person in their fireteam in a ditch to their side, they will assume they are dead etc.

Could we get some DEV input on this.

Tool ~ Lateralus
Old 2008-05-28, 16:45   #25
AnRK
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SoldierofFortune00 View Post
Its there for people to use to make the game easier and if you don't want to use it, then don't. It if it so easy to put in, why not put it in because it will have a major effect on game?
Sorry that should have been SHOULDN'T not SHOULD, I have a retarded habit of reversing the meaning of words like that without meaning to. Bring on the demented Freudian analysis!
AnRK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 00:16   #26
00SoldierofFortune00

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnRK View Post
Sorry that should have been SHOULDN'T not SHOULD, I have a retarded habit of reversing the meaning of words like that without meaning to. Bring on the demented Freudian analysis!
LOL, np. Still no DEV imput if this is possible?

Tool ~ Lateralus
Old 2008-05-29, 00:33   #27
Scot
Supporting Member

He is from Leeds... :P

Scot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 06:51   #28
kilroy0097
Supporting Member

I'm posting this structure again because BF2 squad numbers are completely broken and this makes my point as to why squads are broken up into 2 fireteams at times.

Unit Name / Consists of [1]: / Approx Number of men: / Commanded by:
Company / 2 or more Platoons / 100 to 250 / Captain or Maj
Platoon (Troop) / 2 or more Squads / 16 to 50 / 1st Lt.
Squad / 2 or more Sections / 8 to 24 / Sgt.
Section / ------------------ / 4 to 12 / Sgt.

As you can see a BF2 Squad max is actually not a squad at all. It's too few. A true squad would be at least 8 big. No one would complain at all about fireteams and management of them if it were two fire teams of 4 soldiers doing separate tasks. After all that happens in the field all the time. Sgt in charge with Corporal secondary.

In PR we attempt to use real world tactics in field operations. Even if the BF2 engine doesn't support them very well we still attempt to get around those handicaps and do things right. Part of that is the ability to assign fire team responsibilities. Easy example of which is Squad 1, Fire team 2 - Provide Cover for advancing Squad 1, Fire Team 1. You could even make it more complicated and go in 3 groups of 2. Are these fire teams? Technically they could be but not likely. Look at definition of Fireteam.

I think a whole lot of this game would have been much better if DICE had simply followed the organization of the real military and made squads 8 people for a possibility of 2 fire teams in each of 4 soldiers. Then make each team a Platoon instead of a Company. Maximum of 5 squads of 8 each for a total of 40 soldiers and 1 commander. Two sides then make up 82 players.

At any rate. Who cares really. It's a good idea. It's not possible I don't think with the current engine but it's still a good idea.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
kilroy0097 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 11:45   #29
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

If was possible to edit the squad system in any way, we would have had 8man squads long ago and yea, broken down into fireteams.

Its a damn shame we cant do it, but you can still do it the old fashioned way. Im not saying its impossible because most things that are currently in PR were thought impossible at one point or another, but I think its prety unlikely to happen.

I usually run an infantry squad with this setup:

FIRETEAM ALPHA:
Officer (SL)
Medic
Grenadier

FIRETEAM BRAVO:
Rifleman AT (FTL)
Automatic Rifleman
Rifleman

The trick is assigning your bravo fireteam leader to the player you feel would be best at the role. As long as the guy has voip and is not constantly disobeying your orders its usually fine.
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 11:47   #30
AnRK
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScot666 View Post
He is from Leeds... :P
Watch your mouth private!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]fuzzhead View Post
If was possible to edit the squad system in any way, we would have had 8man squads long ago and yea, broken down into fireteams.

Its a damn shame we cant do it, but you can still do it the old fashioned way. Im not saying its impossible because most things that are currently in PR were thought impossible at one point or another, but I think its prety unlikely to happen.

I usually run an infantry squad with this setup:

FIRETEAM ALPHA:
Officer (SL)
Medic
Grenadier

FIRETEAM BRAVO:
Rifleman AT (FTL)
Automatic Rifleman
Rifleman

The trick is assigning your bravo fireteam leader to the player you feel would be best at the role. As long as the guy has voip and is not constantly disobeying your orders its usually fine.
I don't think he means any particularly advanced system, just a way of having the people you click on on your squad screen having a different coloured tag (the guys that would appear as white on the map when highlighted).
AnRK is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
fireteam, idea or suggestion, squad