project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
26 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2018-04-16, 23:00   #11
PatrickLA_CA

Default Re: [WIP][Vehicle] Panther G

Progress update: Good news and bad news, I've done all the wheels and the tracks the way I think they should be done but I've wasted a lot of tris on the sprocket wheel. I have no idea how to make them more optimized.

Also, the tracks have eaten quite a lot of tris.

PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-17, 05:47   #12
solidfire93

looks awesome, keep it up.
solidfire93 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-17, 07:24   #13
[R-DEV]​Mr.VdHeide
PR:BF2 Developer

Give some wireframe screenshots, also exactly how high poly is that sprocket?

Wheels always take a lot of triangles to look good btw.

D.J.

Mr.VdHeide is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-17, 07:41   #14
PatrickLA_CA

Is there any specific area you want wireframes of?

I haven't combined the parts together yet in case I have to change something so there are some overlapping polys.

The sprocket itself has 840 tris and the tracks have 1212 but I forgot to add the little metal parts that go in between the wheels so they will probably have some more.

Last edited by PatrickLA_CA; 2018-04-17 at 13:10..
Old 2018-04-17, 14:19   #15
Adriaan
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Sprocket wheel looks fine to me tris wise! Seems like the minimum detail you can get away with to define its shape. I'd model the whole thing first without worrying about optimization too much. That way you get a good view of where you can reduce tri count later on.

Adriaan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-17, 14:25   #16
PatrickLA_CA

What about the tracks? Is there any way I can reduce the overlapping parts between the threads?

PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-17, 15:21   #17
Adriaan
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Sorry, I don't know if you can weld those up or how exactly the texture scrolling works with all that. Would have to wait for someone else to comment

Adriaan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-17, 17:02   #18
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

The outside of the Sprocket wheel looks fine but the back inside bit, where it isn't welded and clips though will zfight and you should really weld that up.

As for your tracks, they won't work like that and you've modelled them incorrectly for BF2. You don't want to model each thread segment or w/e like you sort of have, they are done by the texture. You just want to model the main shape and have an edge under each wheel/spring so then the track can move with that wheel/spring and having segments between the wheels/springs which screw up the way the track can flex.
Check out this tut: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=144572

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-17, 17:06   #19
PatrickLA_CA

Yeah, I will weld the parts before I'm done with the model, I'm keeping them separate for now in case I have to change something. As for the tracks, I'll try and follow that tutorial on a separate save of the file when I'm done with the rest of the model since I need them to be made of polygons for my school project.

EDIT: Apparently, loft doesn't work in Maya as it does in 3ds max9. I've tried plenty of other settings but it always ends up nearly the same.

Last edited by PatrickLA_CA; 2018-04-17 at 18:17..
Old 2018-04-19, 22:22   #20
PatrickLA_CA

Is this what I should end up with? Maya's loft tool doesn't work as 3ds max's but I used the extrude surface tool. The first one is NURBS but the other one is polys. Looks a bit weird IMO. Does anyone have experience in Maya for this?

EDIT: I can also increase the number of polys to get a smoother surface but that would eat a lot of tris.

Last edited by PatrickLA_CA; 2018-04-19 at 22:41..

Tags
panther, wipvehicle