project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
24 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2018-10-16, 11:32   #1
MaxP
Default Wheel mechanic

Trying to make more realistic recoil for light vehicles, but got some side effects: the vehicle starts to slide over the surface.

I experimented with the grip parameter, and didn't notice any change.
Then with FrictionMod parameter in engine section, and with high enough values I could minimize the sliding, but the vehicle behavour is very odd with it.

What should I do to minimize the sliding in the transverse axis?
MaxP is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 19:55   #2
[R-DEV]​Arab
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Wheel mechanic

In your recoil comp, make sure ObjectTemplate.recoil.hasRecoilForce is 0

Arab is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 20:56   #3
MaxP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arab View Post
In your recoil comp, make sure ObjectTemplate.recoil.hasRecoilForce is 0
Are you sure it is the hasRecoilForce?
If I set the ObjectTemplate.recoil.hasRecoilForce 0 under the WeaponBasedRecoilComp section, nothing happens.
If it is the ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilForce parameter, then if I change it to 0, there is, of course, no recoil at all.
Last edited by MaxP; 2018-10-16 at 21:08..
Old 2018-10-17, 11:12   #4
[R-DEV]​Arab
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxP View Post
Are you sure it is the hasRecoilForce?
If I set the ObjectTemplate.recoil.hasRecoilForce 0 under the WeaponBasedRecoilComp section, nothing happens.
If it is the ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilForce parameter, then if I change it to 0, there is, of course, no recoil at all.
Ye it's the ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilForce code which you can set to 0.1.

Otherwise I'm not sure. There's these codes which are used in PR. Camera Recoil is not 3P, recoil size
Other codes:
Code:
ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilSize 15
rem Recoil Size = How far the recoil backs on each shot.
ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilSpeed 10
ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilSpeedGB 2.5
rem Recoil Speed = How fast a gun will recoil

Old 2018-10-17, 12:44   #5
MaxP

Quote:
YCamera Recoil is not 3P, recoil size
Thanks.
I don't care about the camera recoil, I set to to reasonable values.
But, as I can see, the tanks in PR have the recoil and roll (don't know exactly how is it in english, I mean the gear working) on it. But the tanks don't slide on the surface, I assume due to the different engine logic.
So I wonder is there any way to minimize the wheel sliding. Maybe I would do it by myself, but I can't find any manual for this engine type parameters.
Old 2018-10-17, 13:06   #6
[R-DEV]​Arab
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxP View Post
Thanks.
I don't care about the camera recoil, I set to to reasonable values.
But, as I can see, the tanks in PR have the recoil and roll (don't know exactly how is it in english, I mean the gear working) on it. But the tanks don't slide on the surface, I assume due to the different engine logic.
So I wonder is there any way to minimize the wheel sliding. Maybe I would do it by myself, but I can't find any manual for this engine type parameters.
Maybe add ObjectTemplate.newCar2.wheelInertia 100, otherwise no idea.

Old 2018-10-17, 13:18   #7
MaxP

Quote:
Maybe add ObjectTemplate.newCar2.wheelInertia 100, otherwise no idea.
No changes.
I've set the following parameters:
ObjectTemplate.newCar2.wheelLongFrictionMod 1.3
ObjectTemplate.newCar2.wheelLongDriveFrictionMod 1.6
ObjectTemplate.newCar2.wheelLatFrictionMod 2
ObjectTemplate.newCar2.wheelLatDriveFrictionMod 2

The sliding is much less, but still exists. Will look at it in game. It cause some problems with the bots firing without driver at place, but it's really improves the immersion...
Old 2018-10-18, 06:32   #8
Heavy Death

Fiddling with inertias will do jack shit except make driving different.

Any force excerted on an object will "dislocate" them and put them in "ragdoll" mode. What you can try is increasing the vehicle mass to some ridiculous high number - it doesnt change driving, its just a multiplier or rather a scale on which vehicles are put on in regards to eachother.

Heavy Death is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-18, 10:21   #9
PBAsydney

If there is indeed a way to make vehicles less prone to sliding when they are stationary, it might be worthwhile to look into that on a lot of other vehicles, some vehicles handle like the tyres are covered in grease if they are on a slope more than 1%.

HITREG CARRY
PBAsydney is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-18, 12:58   #10
MaxP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAsydney View Post
If there is indeed a way to make vehicles less prone to sliding when they are stationary, it might be worthwhile to look into that on a lot of other vehicles, some vehicles handle like the tyres are covered in grease if they are on a slope more than 1%.
Of course, but even if I would change the parameters one by one (actually I did )), there will be a way tooo much combinations, so I wouldn't understand what I have to do, and how it works in general.
Also, some vehicles have a strange behaviour with the same settings as the others, like civ_jep_technical2 - it's sliding with the most working parameters set.

So, for now I've just minimized the sliding. It could be some problems with the bots firing for a long time without moving, as the vehicle will slide back, but it has too many advantages, so, probably, I'll keep it in this state. Anyway, there're many maps where the vehicles just sliding on slopes without any external forces.

Thank for all
Last edited by MaxP; 2018-10-18 at 13:39..

Tags
mechanic, wheel