project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
29 May 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2020-12-22, 17:12   #11
schakal811
Default Re: Commander Improvements - Team buffs

I tried to make a similar suggestion; i was thinking about supply crate paradrops. They should have a 15-20 min delay and 10min cooldown or something.
schakal811 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-22, 17:49   #12
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor
Project Reality Beta Tester

The problem I see with many of the suggested buffs is that a CO is going to become a must-have for any team and I'm dreading the thought of that ngl. Like, to me the current UAV meta already makes recon obsolete and is borderline broken, now here we are with suggestions that affect spawn times, repair drops, supply drops, logi recall, requesting logis, special emplacements and probably more in the days to follow.

The question I have for you is thus:
Does anyone truly believe that this makes for a healthy metagame, when one dude can do all of the above on top of the already existing maphack? To me, the answer is that
1.) not only should the CO NOT be able to influence the battle any more than suggesting/coordinating assault, you're furthermore
2.) suggesting the CO is becoming a full time job doing everything but commanding with all the special stuff you're trying to pile onto him.

There is no shame leaving it as it is. Heck, there is no shame forgoing the sort of attitude that this role HAS to be feature complete, fullfilled and fully realised. The game is good the way it is in this regard. And if you desperately need that Area Attack to break the enemy, then so be it, it's not a shame to have "1 minute until area attack is ready"-Commanders.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-23, 00:11   #13
WingWalker

The problem is not what abilities the CO has.

The problem is that the CO role has no relevance.

If going commander is not relevant then why would anyone really commit to it.

The commander is not in command of anyone or anything.

The commander is on equal ground with every asshole on the server. So as a squad leader, anything from the commander is just bullshit, and you have no reason to listen to him over anyone else.

Then you have the CO's abilities, which have nothing to do with command at all. There is nothing a "commander" can do to command anything the squads do. All the commander does is give certain support to the squads.

The Commander needs ways to enforce command, meaning the abilities of punishment and reward in whatever way could be implemented, with out the position being an asshole magnet.

But this would all have to work around that people can just become CO for 2mins to do something, and leave.

There would have to be someway to make the player commit to the role for a while, or some way to make a player want to stay as commander.

Either make it fun, or Make it critical enough to the game play.

we NEED to have a medic
we NEED to have a crewman if we want armor support or trans
we NEED to have pilots for air support or trans

Yet we most defiantly do not need to have a commander, as the system is now.

W.W.
v0.4
Last edited by WingWalker; 2020-12-23 at 00:20..
Old 2020-12-23, 01:03   #14
PatrickLA_CA
Supporting Member

Well yes, but we also don't need to have a squad leader, it could be just a mic-less guy with a rifleman kit. Yet a squad leader is to be followed and he also gets an array of unique abilities that can help the team (rallies, fobs, emplacements, comms).

I see your point, it would be nearly impossible to give hierarchical meaning to the commander over 50 other guys, after all, it is just a game, that's why I think the commander needs some more abilities that will tempt some more players to stick with the role

In-game: Cobra-PR
PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-23, 13:38   #15
Coalz101

Make commanders able to mutiny squad leaders!
Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 02:38   #16
BigBigMonkeyMan
Supporting Member

Honestly the one way to make the commander absolutely essential is if we got rid of the SL channel haha. It would up the team play and communication required for sure. Of course it's not exactly realistic, like two infantry squads would have direct comms IRL, but a jet pilot and an infantry squad would not have direct communication (I assume?) IRL. It might even make the commander role very stressful having to deal with all the communications and requests from SLs. Do I want this to be implemented? Maybe on a full server with good SLs and asset squads but otherwise no.

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"
BigBigMonkeyMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 03:03   #17
bouya_tetsu
Supporting Member

I agree with adding a change regarding CMDR.
However, I disagree with nerfing what SL and other players can currently do in order to give the commander an advantage.
A major change in the meta could have a major impact on the balance of the game and what has been attracting players.

I personally think it would be interesting to add paradrop crate as suggested above, para drop logi, simple air radar that only works against aircraft, special asset that only commander can place, etc.
bouya_tetsu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 09:47   #18
axytho
Supporting Member

As someone who plays commander, I think the commander is in a good position right now and doesn't need to be buffed (much). The UAV is extremely powerful, as an IFV with good UAV support is more dangerous than a tank that no one communicates to.

Even without UAV or area attack, having a command who encourages SL's to communicate and instantly marks stuff called out by SL's is powerful, both for assets (because they can just check their map and see what they can kill and what they should avoid) and infantry (now the whole team knows where the enemy fob is that our APC drove past but couldn't mark because they didn't have an officer kit).
axytho is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 12:44   #19
PatrickLA_CA
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBigMonkeyMan View Post
Honestly the one way to make the commander absolutely essential is if we got rid of the SL channel haha.

Squad leader comms are at the core of PR, that shouldn't be touched under any circumstance. We need to think of the commander in an optional way. Having one would reward the team slightly, but not having one won't cripple the team. Right now is a good example of that, but the commander role itself is not lucrative for most people to take it up.

In-game: Cobra-PR
PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 14:34   #20
Bastiannn

UAV = OP but dull gameplay which makes it less played by default, even more so with the current playerbase

Freekit team who can't follow up on the info given by OP UAV (happens sometimes) = not CO's fault = why would someone waste their time as CO to use OP tool if team doesn't take advantage of it.

Ppl who think the CO should pester/micro SLs and squads in pub games are wrong.

And people are talking about other suggestions already while one of the recent changes (which iirc was kind of a bug fix related to CAS, but still) is the CO needing Officer kit to mark/delete markers/FOBs which certainly won't help how often a competent/off-the-UAV CO is present.

Bastiannn is offline Reply With Quote