project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
19 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2017-11-08, 06:40   #1
solidfire93

Smile Question about Vehicle Texture/Camo.

Hi,

first of all i want to say that i have Zero experience in modding stuff in this game, so i might have lots of questions...

i always wanted to learn how to change vehicle camo and painjob for PR, but never had that much of free time since most of it i spent playing...

now my main question here for a starter is lets say i'd like to change the MIG-21 russian jungle camo to a desert camo or any camo paintjob. what do i need so i can be able to change the camo texture in this game.. ?

what tools i need to install ?

how can i make texture camo's with out stealing other works and making my own camo that i want ?

Regards.
solidfire93 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-08, 07:11   #2
[R-DEV]​rPoXoTauJIo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Question about Vehicle Texture/Camo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidfire93 View Post
now my main question here for a starter is lets say i'd like to change the MIG-21 russian jungle camo to a desert camo or any camo paintjob. what do i need so i can be able to change the camo texture in this game.. ?
1. Unpack mod resources. Game works with archived content, modders&tools with unpacked.
mods/pr/content - unpack all zips starting with objects_*.zip to mods/pr/objects folder(create one).
In the end you should have something like this:

2. Textures for vehicles are in vehicles/<category>/<vehicles>/textures folder. They are in DDS format, most of them using DXT1 or DXT5 compression.
Use PS + Nvidia DDS plugin to open those files or whatever you'll find suitable(GIMP\Paint.net lol), save with same compression after work. Keep in mind that DDS is lossy format, and re-re-re-saving it with nvidia dds PS plugin drops quality every every time you do so. Proper way would be to save textures in some lossless format, and manually convert though nvcompress cli tools.
3. Check model in bfeditor or\and pack textures back to archives and check in game. BACKUP FIRST.
4. You can also download BFMeshviewer and check models outside game, although sometimes it renders textures on model differently so never rely on it and doublecheck in editor\game.
Quote:
how can i make texture camo's with out stealing other works and making my own camo that i want ?
FH2 mapping tutorials - Skinning the Daimler Dingo
That's kinda old tuto, but does the job. Keep in mind that there's more than one way to texture things, but that comes with experience.

assetruler69: I've seen things you smurfs wouldn't believe. Apaches on the Kashan. I watched burned down tank hulls after the launch of the single TOW. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to give up and respawn.
rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-08, 07:33   #3
solidfire93

Thnx Groho.
Old 2017-11-08, 08:30   #4
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

BTW it is best to work with the original files or at least non-compressed .dds files where you can, especially if your planning to have your work end up within PR

Here is the .psd for the MiG-21 although it doesn't have the Cuban camos in it but has the SAF ad a bunch of other camos Clive did (the original modeller/texture) in it (although think those ones are just .dds files)

https://files.realitymod.com/temp/CLI_MiG21_c.7z

BTW we could do with a Vietnamese MiG-21 texture, not that we have any maps for it now but might encourage someone to make a Vietnam jet map

And while yes we do already have a NVA MiG-21 skin in the files, it is for the old MiG-21 model and won't work on the new, updated model with new cockpit and other details

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2017-11-08 at 08:44..
Old 2017-11-11, 07:07   #5
solidfire93

ok before i start this by no mean my final work and its shit tbh

cause it need time and careful work so i can make it perfect...

so right now i have some problems :

i didn't touch anything from my PR game files that is working right now, i basically copied the game files and start messing around with it, just in case i don't fuk something up and have to re install PR again..etc etc...

1. main issue is that when i Archive the files game wont start and says that the .zip is missing under the name (objects_vehicles_client) so what am i missing here.. ?

2. i got this issue :

i got the bfeditor from here https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...ditor-exe.html

also i checked my game files and i can see the bfmfc.dll file !!

3 : this the same russian mig 21, i only changed some color and removed some stuff around...
i still saved it under the name of ru_jet_mig21_c ...

also i really don't know how the vehicle is going to be used for MEC faction.. maybe thats not my job to do that...

Regards and waiting for feed back Thnx.

btw Rhino the link says 404 not found ?! https://files.realitymod.com/temp/CLI_MiG21_c.7z
Last edited by solidfire93; 2017-11-11 at 07:17..
Old 2017-11-11, 09:28   #6
[R-DEV]​rPoXoTauJIo
Supporting Member

Quote:
1. main issue is that when i Archive the files game wont start and says that the .zip is missing under the name (objects_vehicles_client) so what am i missing here.. ?
That's mean you somehow deleted it, or message isn't about missing file. Show exact error.
Quote:
2. i got this issue :

i got the bfeditor from here https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...ditor-exe.html

also i checked my game files and i can see the bfmfc.dll file !!
Set compability with winxp.

assetruler69: I've seen things you smurfs wouldn't believe. Apaches on the Kashan. I watched burned down tank hulls after the launch of the single TOW. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to give up and respawn.
rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-11, 16:21   #7
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Sorry, was .zip not .7z

https://files.realitymod.com/temp/CLI_MiG21_c.zip

As for MEC using them, problem is other than Syria and Egypt, no one uses them anymore in the ME.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-11, 16:45   #8
Rabbit

caveat, lots of influence is taken from pakistan, also not me.

Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-12, 14:38   #9
solidfire93

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo View Post
That's mean you somehow deleted it, or message isn't about missing file. Show exact error.
here it is :
Old 2017-11-12, 15:38   #10
[R-DEV]​Ason
Supporting Member

I guess you could try replacing it, not sure if it will work though...
Edit: Oh I thought you wanted to play online again..

Last edited by [R-DEV]Ason; 2017-11-13 at 07:24..

Tags
question, texture or camo, vehicle