project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
08 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2013-08-14, 03:01   #21
=]H[= EasyAlpha

Default Re: Squad to Squad mumble Radio Filter

Hes right about the squad chat, unless you go into the game and make a squad saying "hey, only use squad chat to report important shit up the chain" it gets used for everything. Even then as a SL the other SLs feel compelled to tell you everything like were having a cute phone conversation. So radio coms are at a constant chatter. I feel like if it could be filtered to sound like your talking through a radio, people would be more inclined to use local for the clarity, and radios for radio stuff. Just a thought, seems to work for ACRE, not saying we need all the features of ACRE but maybe the radio sound.

=]H[= EasyAlpha is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 04:17   #22
[R-DEV]​Ratface
PR:BF2 Developer

Agreed with Easy, I think it would cut down on the chatter. With so many people in a sqd now it has become very difficult to communicate between command and other sqdleaders when my sqd is having a conversation. I've been teaching them radio discipline and its starting to work but I think it would still be a great feature!

Ratface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 04:55   #23
Archosaurus

I personally enjoy chatting with people. This is a game after all, and not a serious one at that. It has a strong social aspect, too, which I don't think detracts from the gameplay at all.
Removing that tendency to chat would kill the community outside the forums and such, I think.
Archosaurus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 10:08   #24
ghostfool84
Supporting Member

I like to chat sometimes to with my clanmates and if PR Mumble got some shitty effect just to cut the chat we will use our 3rd Party VOIP and split up from the publics in the squad..not really nice...

If you add an effect like that please make it optional.
ghostfool84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 12:13   #25
Nugiman
Supporting Member

we worked years and years to get the playerbase using mumble. We finally arrived the goal we had.
Now some of you want to add a feature that will reduce the use of mumble communication? wtf !

Veni, Vidi, Pwnz0rz. - I came, I saw, I pwnd
Nugiman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 12:57   #26
KiloJules

-1 from me for this.

As being stated, enough people have shitty mics already and playing PR is NOT as realistic that I want to sit in front of my computer and scream (even louder than now) so that anyone understands me.

--------

The radio cues already are a pain in my ass, when half of my SMs don't hear half of what has been said by someone in the squad. This obviously happens when comms follow quickly after each other and the cue plays over the beginning of someone else's sentence. Suuuper annoying.

<a href=https://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic53737_1.gif target=_blank>https://www.realitymod.com/forum/uplo...pic53737_1.gif</a>
KiloJules is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 14:24   #27
=]H[= EasyAlpha

I don't think it would detract from the social aspect of PR at all. Local chat being used more would instead encourage a more social game. Players would be pushed to stay closer to one another within a squad (which has obvious benefits) and communication wouldn't be hampered. Im not saying that the filter needs to make the game more immersive. But instead to clear comms. I don't mind having a conversation while playing, but when 2 or 3 guys in an 8 man squad are having there own chat about something and your trying to talk to someone else local about the game or otherwise, its almost sorta selfish. If you want to hangout together and talk about something wouldn't it be easier to just be near one another, especially if your in the same squad?

People don't have shitty mics these days anymore either, lets be honest. If you've tried ACRE even the bad mics still sound the same with the filter.

=]H[= EasyAlpha is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 16:02   #28
Lugi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugiman View Post
we worked years and years to get the playerbase using mumble. We finally arrived the goal we had.
Now some of you want to add a feature that will reduce the use of mumble communication? wtf !
Mumble was designed to be used to talk locally to people near you. It was a pretty good alternative to the ingame voip, as it allowed to talk more clearly in situations when you didnt have to speak with all your squad. People were using mumble that way, and the bf2 voip for distant communication. Right now, when PR 1.0 came out, and mumble got integrated, the local talk lost all its advantages over intersquad comms, and is hardly ever used.

So I wouldn't say we arrived anywhere. We came back to the starting point (only with better quality of inter squad communication).
Lugi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 17:38   #29
PFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracler View Post
Bf2 maps are not large enough to be worth using Acre
Actually apparently the real world AN/PRC-343 of Arma ACRE fame only has a range of 500m or something.

That said, the need for full stop ACRE is questionable. Organizing selectable radio channels among public players would be difficult if not impossible and terrain deforming signals would probably annoy more than improve the game.

Frankly, when I want full stop realism I go play arma and rage over the bugs and clunk, and I save PR for a comfortable sense of compromize in realism gaming.

[PR]NATO|P*Funk

PFunk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 18:00   #30
Gracler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFunk View Post
Actually apparently the real world AN/PRC-343 of Arma ACRE fame only has a range of 500m or something.
Yes your right some radios do have a very limited range but most radios should almost be able to cover more or less the entire map.

Sometimes when I join a clan squad I wonder why no one is talking and often figure out they are communicating mainly on there TS server or similar.
If a filter is introduced then I bet the same thing will happen like when mumble was 1 channel for all (even the enemy) where smurfs don't say anything so they don't get spotted and clans force there members to use something like TS since it works better.

Don't "nerf" mumble ... it's the glue in the PR community. As a on/off feature it's okay though, but then it's just a gimmick and won't have a real purpose.
Gracler is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
better than fastropes, filter, mumble, radio, squad, we believe in you devs