project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
24 Feb 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2016-09-15, 21:59   #41
CR8Z
Supporting Member
Default Re: How to improve the playerbase

I think many of the comments in this thread illustrate some of the problems. People are very quick to ridicule and troll. Perhaps it's a problem with society as a whole, and not just PR.

For my 2 cents, PR was the most fun when we had special events. Yes, the training events were fun, but TG used to have a password night whereby the public was invited to join, but by entering a password, you agreed to play by the rules of the event such as no locked squads, follow SL and CO orders, etc.

It was a simple night of just playing the game the way it was meant to be played. You could jerk around on any other server on any other night, but for a few hours, the game was played the right way, and it was always a blast.

Maybe hold a couple of these kind of events every month where the game play and teamwork is taken up a notch, and hope that it filters out into general everyday pub play.
CR8Z is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 03:54   #42
Jevski

It takes little effort to learn the game.

The playerbase cant improve unless the players have a willingness to use time and energy on improving them selfs.

I cant count the number ive heard the phrase "I cant find the manual" or "where is the manual", after a player has been told to read it, after the player has asked several basic questions, instead of learning the basic and then asking the right questions, like "what kit do you need squadlead".

The reason players lock their sqd is because of time. We all have limited time to play, and we want to spend that time having fun. Everyday I see how new players dont listen to SL. Run off pretending to be rambo or or some famous russian sniper.

I often play with Ruiz, who is an great Sl, with great tactical and strategic sense of the game and ive seen him a couple if times get so frustrated by players who dont listen and dont have a clue, these players ruin the the experience for the squadleaders, who night after night have to deal with players who cant understand a simple, X stay here, Y follow me order, which will result in players like Ruiz eventually say, fuck this, i will play with people i know who got a clue.

This isnt BF4. Players who have an attention span of 1 minute should play something else.

PS: This guy gets it https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10...y-go-live.html

"Cheapest thing to do is fill up your bathtub and look at the flat water you moron - Hollywood on the earth being flat"
Jevski is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 04:46   #43
communistman

What if you bring the community to the game; building the forum into the launcher would give it a ton more exposure to everyone who plays PR. And not just a 'Community' button underneath the credits--have the forum as the background of the launcher. Or, there's a reasonable middle ground between those two somewhere.

I think any noob would eventually boot the launcher and notice the "PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies" header after getting their asses handed to them for a while. and then get pulled in deeper from there.
communistman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 10:37   #44
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_o9 View Post
your OP asked for ideas and suggestions, not an overall agreement.
I wrote that to make sure people where here for the same and right reason, not to just bash and write out a sigh of frustration. I want to focus on stuff we can do, not a community bash thread or similar.

Quote:
They're kinda the frontline for this very reason actually, it goes against everything else you say. You say the core of a good playerbase is the squadleader, and that the most experienced players aren't the frontline? The best squadleaders usually come from the most experienced players, not always, but I think 90% of the time, so yes big communities are the spearhead of the CHANGE that you want to see happen.
I disagree, usually they have a high level of teamwork and quite well established squadleaders and gaming times where the cream of PR players game.
FCV is more on the frontline since that server actually attracts new players through Bluedrakes videos. Which is a great help to the mod, but we need to channel those players through some simple steps to make sure we can maintain a high quality community, and that also means having new players come in. Anyone who says otherwise has an elitist attitude.

Quote:
QED, communities are the frontline/solution
They have the opportunity to help, but are not necessarily bringing in new players.

Quote:
The thing is, with all due respect, you're part of the "fun > seriousness" people... just to a certain point. You can be the least serious guy in a game, allow a shit ton of stupid things to happen, until you decide it's enough and start warning everyone who isn't serious enough to your liking.
I think I balance it quite well to my own liking and to those around me.

Quote:
exemple, seeding the server, 10v10 no more, I use the rocket techie because a guy asked me if I knew how to use it and to demonstrate. I get warned, by yourself, and am kindly asked to leave the vehicle... Few days later, I play with you, same situation, 10v10 ish, but this time you're in your "fun" mood, the insurgent team start to let rockets rain in US main, your reaction this time? "I'll allow it, let them have fun"... it was against the rules, both times, yet the action taken was different. Not that I blame you, or your reaction, but I find it silly that you condemn people for actually doing what you're sometimes doing.
First round someone complained about your rockets, 2nd round noone complained.
And if someone complains to me about my the seriousness of how I play then I should focus more on playing more serious. But seeding really is an issue for me when it comes to that.

Quote:
I understand there is a certain degree where it's disrupting the game, but those guys are super rare, or they play a few games and are never to be seen again, it's pretty unfair to put all that on people who still see PR as a game more than a simulation and you're the living proof that taking the game not so seriously doesn't make you a bad player. At all.
I'm a living proof of alot of things really. But yeah the game has a huge social aspect that needs to be acknowledged by everyone.

Quote:
So it seems that it's more of, once again, an issue with respect more than seriousness or fun, you can have fun ingame without disrupting the game if you follow the general rules and do what you're expected to do. And it's the same as you can play extra seriously without insulting or getting extra angry at people who don't share your seriousness.
Yes. People should be permitted to make plans and complicated strategies and still have fun. And people should be able to be serious as a sniper team? Where is the line man.

Quote:
The seriousness level also depend highly on many factors, such as the time you're playing at, the people playing (seeded server or not), so maybe show mercy on all that immersion stuff.
It depends on the map as well I would say, what maps have a greater deal of immersion compared to others?

Quote:
go ahead, and add admins to the list maybe? I still think they're part of the solution, those are the people you look for whenever a problem occurs after all.
Definetly! I mean everyone has alot of different ideas on how the game should be played, and with each map having different asset layouts and such, the game differs alot from map to map. Almost to the point to where you are playing a different game. So it really needs to boil down to a few things you can control, and understand that some things are not controlable.

Quote:
I also propose that you organise an intercommunities event, where each communities provide SLs and COs, with other positions filled with new players willing to learn, because learning by exemple is the best way to learn, and don't make it look like a formal training but more like a regular game, two teams, with an equal number of experienced players. Then mid game or something experienced players could leave the SL position and observe and advice new players on the job, telling them what or what not to do.
Summer vacations are over, quite a few players will be back, and with the upcoming release you'll have more and more players, you should easily find candidates to fill all the positions.
I am already planning a 16v16 skirmish event. But I will wait until the PRT is well established.

Quote:
Another idea would be to have a kind of competition with small teams (8v8 or 16v16) on skirmish maps or bootcamp, with "new" players as squadleaders, to teach them the basics on a small scale, in a "real" situation. You could also have your officers or such observing with PRbots? The idea would be that with the competition aspect, those players would have something "real"ish to fight for, that'd give you the overall seriousness in a fun environement (casual competitions are usually fun). Kind of a PR Campaign, smaller scale. it can boost confidence in leading men, without the stress to have to build FOBs, mark targets and all that. And could be easier to set up than a 50v50 match.
Read above.

Quote:
And since you're against all that community rivalry, maybe use it, make each community bring players for small scale competition like suggested above? Winner gets the e-cookie trophy until the next competition. People learn, communities get to gloat (or cry), everyone's happy.
Well it depends on who likes who. I know alot of people I dont like because of how they behave and write. Not that they are not good players, just really contributing to a toxic community. I dont want them in that competition.

Quote:
Anyway, you're well known for making a ton of stuff for this game, and yo'ure awesome at it, you'll figure something out, with or without the rest of us. Also, Elusif has great ideas, promote her more.
And I stand my ground on the fact that a new release will solve the lack of SLs, at least for a few months.
Elusif is definetly someone we should bet our money on

Quote:
(every summer someone complains that the game is going down a slope, honestly...)
Good!

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 14:14   #45
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

I think we need to stop with the language/locked squads, and don't give me the "b-but muh non-native english". If you can browse the internet you can communicate just fine. This goes for the tournament squads when that was active as well, you could see 5 people in a PRT-squad and locked. I never lock my squads unless there's a good reason for it. Basically, the experienced players need to stop circlejerking and let new players in.

It's so frustrating join a server and the squads are: CAS, armour, trans, GER INF, [CLAN], gamma(with no SL kit, and people spread out across map) and FR/RUS/FIN/any language squad.

Sure I can create one, and I do from time to time. But sometimes you just don't feel like squadleading.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 16:11   #46
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicca View Post
a person is mostly focused on catching hackers
fixed 12
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 20:15   #47
STompa

-> Don't ban the actually good players for shitty reasons like "admin decision" or "immersion breaking" so people can learn from them.

Get inspired not jealous

PR community in a nutshell @nwa @merk @fcv @prta @NEW @EUGG

" You on the other hand feel that it is fine to abuse the poor bf2 engine to the maximum just for that few lousy kills and score, where we restrain from this because we want more immersive experience. "

"You on the other hand feel that it is fine to abuse the poor bf2 engine to the maximum just for that few lousy kills and score, where we restrain from this because we want more immersive experience. " - *NwA* Alchemist
Last edited by STompa; 2016-09-16 at 20:24..
Old 2016-09-16, 22:02   #48
X-Alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by STompa View Post
-> Don't ban the actually good players for shitty reasons like "admin decision" or "immersion breaking" so people can learn from them.

Get inspired not jealous

" You on the other hand feel that it is fine to abuse the poor bf2 engine to the maximum just for that few lousy kills and score, where we restrain from this because we want more immersive experience. "
Reported, enjoy your blacklist.
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-17, 02:06   #49
Mouthpiece
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STompa View Post

Get inspired not jealous

So, enlighten the community please why like 3 - 5 people are constantly getting banned from 99% of PR communities? What are these "shitty decisions" and "immersive breaking" things are? Here you have a platform to inform us. And here is the place to discuss that kind of potentially abusive gameplay. So please, go on. I haven't seen such discussions.

Stop playing with yourself. Play with the community.
Mouthpiece is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-17, 04:10   #50
Psyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicca View Post
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had any idea on how to increase the skill and behavior of the Project Reality player base?

Any suggestions or ideas?
Give them money to behave?

Honestly, I think with a big enough dedicated playerbase, all you would need is really strict admins who are responsible enough to know the difference between fair and punishment.

Think of it like parenthood, some children need to be spanked, or they will turn into hitler.

Same with players.

Run an experiment, take a full server, then unleash a rabid team of admins to hunt down little shits who make free weapon squads, teamkill, road kill, or steal vehicles. Dont ban them at all, just kick them every time without a warning. They will either come back on and cause a shitstorm (kick again) or they wont come back and the server will be cleaner for it.

You might think they come back again and again, and they might, but in the big picture, the good players stay dedicated, and the asshats leave the game for good.

With regards to cheaters, same applies, if it looks peculiar, kick em, no warning, just kick. If they weren't cheating, thats a pity, but at least the non cheater will return and be a lot more cautious about their play style. Accidents happen, but its so hard in PR to look like a cheater and not be one, that its extremely unlikely you kill kick a top scorer/killer due to their excess of points.

This is draconian i guess, but I have witnessed servers kid-glove players for too many years, and im a veteran and i cant take the crap anymore, I really want a sever hardcore mature server with admins who will stomp peoples guts out.

Edit: I consider the mods of this website to be more severe than admins in general, why cant we have that kind of dedicated thoroughness in game?
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
improve, playerbase, spiderman thread