project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
24 Feb 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2016-09-12, 18:05   #21
LiamNL
Supporting Member

Default Re: How to improve the playerbase

PRTA aint the brightest star in the sky anymore heavy death.
LiamNL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-12, 18:33   #22
disnoxxio

Can we focus on what can make it better instead of praising or whining about servers or communities. Yes please thanks.

disnoxxio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-13, 00:36   #23
RAWSwampFox

Good Evening,

Community guidelines? What are those? I've been saying that for years so hopefully that seed is getting a bit of water and sunlight.

It is pretty simple, squad leaders set the expectations, trust your squad, and pick the battles you can move the small rudder on the big ship.

No magic pill here.

-SwampFox
CIVI guide: https://goo.gl/WhRE7A
CIVIES and Martyrs thread: http://goo.gl/eqZ3wn
My FOB guide: https://goo.gl/z8bk2z
FOB Thread: http://goo.gl/4PWRAs
PR Statistics & Useless Information thread: http://goo.gl/bzu4qd
RAWSwampFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-13, 01:17   #24
Rabbit

Bring back small maps, small unit tactics have them learn basics first.

Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-13, 01:37   #25
QuickLoad

lol here comes FCV looking for a 1-pop solution, just like they do with their admin policies.

You have to realize that you cannot fix a 'community', it relies on the most influencial players:
Commander
Squad Leader
and sometimes, Squad Member(assuming the squad leader learns from them)

on behavior, it comes down to the community, again, something you can't fix.
but if you see some bad stuff happening, don't feel afraid to tell dicks that they're dicks.
QuickLoad is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-13, 09:36   #26
CAS_ual_TY
PR Server License Administrator

Squadleaders have the highest impact on the game in my opinion. There are too many SLs who think building a fob at the other side of the map and holding your 8-man squad there helps your team

And the other type of SLs doesnt build fobs at all

CAS_ual_TY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-13, 12:38   #27
KillJoy[Fr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS_ual_TY View Post
Squadleaders have the highest impact on the game in my opinion. There are too many SLs who think building a fob at the other side of the map and holding your 8-man squad there helps your team

And the other type of SLs doesnt build fobs at all

Squad leading is very hard, it's like handling 6 years old kids on their way to disneyland.

Au dela du possible ...
KillJoy[Fr] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-13, 12:39   #28
inb4banned

Most experienced players stick together and lock their squads, if you can make them unlock for 1 or 2 not so experienced players they'd naturally start picking up lessons from them and you'd have better community every day. Unfortunately experienced players just want to play without having to frustrate themselves with the burden of newer players holding them back, being annoying, getting them killed, delaying their tactics etc.
inb4banned is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-13, 13:23   #29
kanonator

Hey wicca,

First of all, I think you need to elaborate more on what you mean by "improve" or rather what you want improved.

If by improve, you mean the playerbase plays the game as it's meant (teamwork, no trolling, cooperation, etc) I think it's all about respect. Respect for the game, for the server, and most of all for each other. A long time ago when I was new, I was always scared to fuck up because players would really give you shit if you were being an asshat. Of course, getting players to respect one another is easier said than done..

Anyways, if you wanna build your community as an administrator I think the strongest tool you guys got is the bold supersized neon text warning on the top left. It'll take a little bit more work from your administrators, but at the same time it's also easier (than enforcing kick/ban violations). I suggest acting on every report, at least with a warning. Because it's just a warning, your administrators don't really need to get too involved to confirm whether this guy "deserves" it or not (as with a kick/ban), since it's just a warning and has no real repercussions. At the same time, everybody on the server constantly sees warnings being given out even for mundane shit. Even if they aren't being warned themselves, all players know that big brother is in fact watching.

My second suggestion, use squad leaders as an extension of your administrative team. I'm not saying give them admin powers, but more like encourage them to report asshat behavior. Not that all squad leaders are automatically saints, BUT of all the players, they're most likely the ones who care about the game (especially if they've actually got a squad working together, that's usually a good sign). Encourage them to report all stupid shit, and then ACT on those reports and issue out warnings. I was on your server over the weekend, and every stupid shit I'd report even if it wasn't ban/kick worthy. Things like, "smurf won't get out of our vehicle" "guy shot a civi after instructing everyone clearly to hold fire" "guy firing in main/fob" "transport chopper/apc purposely landing us in hot zone/not where we wanted to go" "guy spamming local chat and following us" etc. ISSUE WARNINGS FOR ALL THOSE THINGS and I think over time your community will learn to respect one another.

TLR - give out a lot of warnings, coz it's doesn't hurt. Even if the report is wrong, it doesn't hurt the guy getting the warning but still has a positive effect on the rest of the server since everybody knows they're being watched.
kanonator is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-13, 15:08   #30
Mouthpiece
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillJoy[Fr] View Post
Squad leading is very hard, it's like handling 6 years old kids on their way to disneyland.
It's actually really simple. You just have to be a person that doesn't pussy out when the need to order something arises. I've led squads 6 months after starting playing PR. And I started because even back then I'd better lead a sq myself then submit to an moronic SL who doesn't really know his shit.

But, yeah, HOW TO IMPROVE playerbase? You can't. Good squadleaders are the backbone of good rounds and others becoming better. But as there are less and less good squad leaders (why? because who wants to lead a squad of 14 y.olds who doesnt want to learn the basics of this game)... the game gets more and more stale.

As I 've noted in past. The gold of PR are the squadleaders. They should be loved and cherised. But the "recommend sl" topic is burried in midst of some more unnecessary info (as it would help a lot, haha). I really don't know If we can solve this problem.

Advanced SL training? People nowadays mostly are too much of a pussies to join those kinds of things.
Mouthpiece is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
improve, playerbase, spiderman thread