project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
25 Feb 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2016-09-08, 20:37   #1
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Default How to improve the playerbase

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had any idea on how to increase the skill and behavior of the Project Reality player base?

Any suggestions or ideas?

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-08, 21:04   #2
viirusiiseli
Banned
Default Re: How to improve the playerbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicca View Post
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had any idea on how to increase the skill and behavior of the Project Reality player base?

Any suggestions or ideas?
  • Teach players how to independently make decisions, not just to follow a micromanaging SL (only way they will learn tactics)
  • Create an environment where good players are praised, not hated
  • Avoid unnecessary permanent bans on players
  • Avoid prejudice on players based on who they play with
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-08, 21:15   #3
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

I expect many great things from this thread!

Mineral is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-08, 21:43   #4
L4gi
Server Administrator (A-N)

Wicca Internet School for PR amateurs. kappa

L4gi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-08, 22:40   #5
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mineral View Post
I expect many great things from this thread!
Can you please only post constructive content to the thread, thank you.
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-08, 23:06   #6
LiamNL
Supporting Member

Well most server groups have a event server or 2. What if they would use those I don't know, like once in 2 weeks or once in a month to host training event. Some sort of instructor situation where more experienced players explain and show things to them?

Also about behaviour, hard to adjust as people vary too greatly (with this I mean that tons of people are dicks to each other).

Note: Wicca don't tag this as a spiderman thread if you want to be taken seriously.
LiamNL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-08, 23:10   #7
curahee150

If you wanted to improve the player base actively, an idea would be to have one veteran squad leader and 1 experienced NCO in a squad to positively influence the other players. Either the NCO and the squad leader would need to be somewhat charismatic, and both would have to be competent, teamwork oriented and willing to tolerate other players so the other players would be positively influenced easily.

The way I see it is that players and especially new players are mainly influenced by two people. The squad leader and the de facto NCO. If the players in the squad would draw their influence from a positive source, the result would be the players would be more teamwork oriented and be improved overall. I believe the primary reason the PR community as a whole has declined in teamwork is because of a decrease of these positive influences, so bringing those influences back in would likely improve the community. However, you would need to organize this "project" into sort of a clan and recruit promising individuals into it, as I don't think there is enough "veteran" manpower to have a major impact on their own.

"If it sounds stupid but it works, it ain't stupid"-Murphy's law
curahee150 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-09, 01:43   #8
Wicca
Supporting Member

Well I remember I got quite a few people to agree on enforcing mumble on their servers back in the day.
Although that was a technical approach to a communication issue, I don't see why we couldn't create a community guideline on teamwork and tactics.

A simple and stupid guide to Project Reality that encompases everything.

In the end we just want to enjoy a great game of Project Reality..

Squadleaders have a big impact on new players and old players, literally anyone in their squad. Why not have a requierment that all squadleaders must have certain rules to follow ingame? Most people find squads that are not playing objectives helpful, but what is an objective? Is it an asset that is worth 10-15 tickets for the enemy team? Or is it a flag worth 30 tickets?
The general objective of a team would be to maintain a ticket advantage over the enemy, either by kills, destroying their assets or capturing their flags. And not losing their own.
Since there are so many objectives, squadleaders might not know enough about the game to make an informed decision where their squad has the best ability to contribute to the team effort.

Tactics
So I propose to suggest 3 legitimate tactics ingame to take tickets away from the enemy.
  1. Capturing flags
  2. Killing enemy players
  3. Destroying enemy assets

To capture a flag, you usually have to be able to do 3 things. Move to the flag, kill enemies in the flag zone and ensure they are unable to re-enter it.

To kill enemy players, there seems to be an ambundance of tactics avalible.
The preffered tactics would be to engage the enemies from their behind. You could attack from a position of advantage such as a vehicle or a mortar that can't be immediatly engaged. Most times engaging enemies that are engaging you is a bad idea and should be avoided at all costs.

Lastly, destroying enemy assets, trucks, vehicles of any type is a legitimate tactic, you should have players know well how to use LATs and TOWs. We should also emphasize the use of vehicles to kill vehicles since that is what they are usually designed to do and teach all players how to do that.

Behaviour
In respect to improving player behaviour, I would say that a general rule of thumb should be how to use allchat, teamchat and local chat.
What words to use, how to present arguments with people you disagree with, how banter is a good thing but bashing is not. Not to mention how we want this community as a whole to be like. Do we want childish behaviour to set the tone for how we engage with things we disagree? I have witnessed peoples attempts to polarize oppinions of communities they have been banned from.

Why won't people try to make amends?

Perhaps it goes both ways, when you feel abused you don't exactly want to give a flower to someone who is abusing you. So we could write admin guidelines on sensitivity.

What requierments do we give the majority which they can realistically meet?

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-09, 02:49   #9
[R-CON]​Onil
PR Tournament Management

Improving skill is dependent on two separate things:

- Who's example you're following when you're still learning the game and how influenced you are by that example. Lots of players pickup on bad habits from other players and those are hard to break.
- How much do you actually want to learn and improve. 90% of players stop trying to improve within the first months of player, either because they think they're pretty good already or because they ran out of patience and curiosity.

The PR Tournament is the best environment to get both good examples and the motivation to start/continue learning something new.

About bad behaviors, it all falls down to bad examples (again... they can be contagious), maturity (or the lack of...), patience/acceptance towards others and personality.

To be honest, most servers entice bad behavior because there always some charismatic regulars who disrupt more than contribute to a healthy community. This isn't a game where the mix of seriousness and "trolliness" actually improve the fun of the round, even if many find it funny and sometimes enjoyable to have such an interaction in their squads, it disrupts the rest of the squads in the team. And when those players join a different squad next round and bring that attitude, they'll not be welcomed.

PR already attempts to mold the player into the way the game should be played and it is successful in 80% of cases compared to how it stops players from doing stupid shit (as often) but whoever is leading you and whoever is playing with you in a particular round has as much of an influence in how you react in that and possibly future rounds. There are very different views on how the game should be played and those often collide with each-other, which automatically makes the players do it too.

That's my personal opinion. You can't really improve behavior without a controlled environment, hence why the PRT can be effective depending on who's put in charge and how they structure and rule their teams. If you have never participated in a proper PR Tournament, you have never played the game in its full potential because great players are what makes the game reach such high level of teamwork, fun and excitement.

Onil is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-09, 03:34   #10
PricelineNegotiator
Banned

We need to seed the servers outside of FCV and teach that player base how the rest of community plays PR. Ugly truth, sorry.
PricelineNegotiator is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
improve, playerbase, spiderman thread