project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
20 Jun 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2021-03-21, 00:41   #1
dcm
Default Maps you want to see?

I want more Urban maps set in major cities. New York City, L.A., Chicago, Detroit, Hong Kong, Berlin, Etc.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-21, 01:30   #2
Danielj15

Default Re: Maps you want to see?

make them then

Danielj15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-21, 04:51   #3
dcm

No talent
Old 2021-03-21, 09:41   #4
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

It isn't that hard to create maps, just it takes a lot of time: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20862

I wouldn't pick an American city as it's kinda hard to justify a major battle over one in current times and there isn't the statics for it.

However, if you want to make any major city around the world you will probably need to make a bunch of new statics, especially if they have skyscrapers etc as any major missing landmarks would be noticed quite a bit. As such, making a map that requires a lot of new statics wouldn't be a good thing to do unless you or someone else is committed to making them, or you can get away with using existing statics in their place.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-21, 19:45   #5
Talon-OneOne

I have an idea for a map I think would fit right in with PR real places/ battles and started to go through the tutorials...(thanks Rhino) its slow going. Hopefully, I can find the time for it but in reality, may not ever finish.
Question: Do we have an 80s style US faction? I cant remember off hand
Talon-OneOne is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-21, 20:39   #6
dcm

How much would it cost to commission a map?
Old 2021-03-21, 21:07   #7
Vicious3o2

considering it takes at least 400 hours to complete and most people's time is worth ATLEAST $10/Hr your looking at around 4k if you just want to cover someone's cost of living and considering their only profit is the portfolio work. Money isn't something too often discussed around here as it seems to be everything PR is not about. Most of these guys do the work for free as a badge of honor almost to showing how dedicated they are. I on the other hand think it's time to inject some fiscal lubrication in PR seeing as though these start up games can raise hundreds of thousands of dollars just to make games that have all sorts of shortcomings that will probably never be fixed. If this is something your serious about doing, let's talk. I've been a BF/PR enthusiast for a greater part of my life, I have a basic understanding of how it all gets done even though I don't actually have experience, I do know the ropes. I think there is a lot of room of expansion of PR as the graphics card market seems to be a stand still until something is done about crypto, not to mention the rampant cheating that goes on in newer games. Money could be used to commission more maps, statics, models, etc. Money could be used to market the game to new players via social media AND local advertising via word of mouth. LAN Events could be established. Twitch promotions could happen. Hell we could even get the right programmers to fix some of the last outstanding "hard coded" issues with PR like the Squad limit, Multi-Core optimization, Netcode issues, and all sorts of stuff that I'm talking somewhat out of my ass about but generally I have an understanding. (don't taze me if I'm wrong admins).
Vicious3o2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-21, 21:56   #8
BigBigMonkeyMan
Supporting Member

Those are all good points and stuff I would like to see in the future, but I don't know about the legal viability of some of them honestly. Not that EA cares about PR anymore, but maybe 4 years ago they shut down a service that had an easy install of vBF2 and ran a ton of servers that were full all the time. I forgot the reasoning, maybe that the intro video that had EA games in it, but of course their real reason is that thousands of people were still playing vBF2. I think if PR ever got that kind of popularity, EA would come after it. Not sure.

To OP, I would like to see a Vietnam insurgency map maybe called Ho Shi Minh Trail or something. I think Songhua Stalemate could be used as a template. Create more geometry and points of interest, a city ruins area, more areas with dense forests, canyons, and caves. I don't know how many people played the first Vietcong on PC (the best Vietnam game ever made, at least for singleplayer) basically the vibe of the second mission.

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"
BigBigMonkeyMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-22, 00:37   #9
Coalz101

I want to see Icebound permanently, Hibernia is garbage with the flag routes, if wasn't for that it could of been way better.
Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-22, 02:10   #10
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious3o2 View Post
considering it takes at least 400 hours to complete and most people's time is worth ATLEAST $10/Hr your looking at around 4k if you just want to cover someone's cost of living and considering their only profit is the portfolio work. Money isn't something too often discussed around here as it seems to be everything PR is not about. Most of these guys do the work for free as a badge of honor almost to showing how dedicated they are. I on the other hand think it's time to inject some fiscal lubrication in PR seeing as though these start up games can raise hundreds of thousands of dollars just to make games that have all sorts of shortcomings that will probably never be fixed. If this is something your serious about doing, let's talk. I've been a BF/PR enthusiast for a greater part of my life, I have a basic understanding of how it all gets done even though I don't actually have experience, I do know the ropes. I think there is a lot of room of expansion of PR as the graphics card market seems to be a stand still until something is done about crypto, not to mention the rampant cheating that goes on in newer games. Money could be used to commission more maps, statics, models, etc. Money could be used to market the game to new players via social media AND local advertising via word of mouth. LAN Events could be established. Twitch promotions could happen. Hell we could even get the right programmers to fix some of the last outstanding "hard coded" issues with PR like the Squad limit, Multi-Core optimization, Netcode issues, and all sorts of stuff that I'm talking somewhat out of my ass about but generally I have an understanding. (don't taze me if I'm wrong admins).
Damn. I was willing to shell out 100$ maybe 200$ if the map was good.