project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
20 Jun 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2021-03-22, 08:17   #11
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Default Re: Maps you want to see?

Project Reality is a non-profit, we will never take money for paying developers.

However, we have a donation system to help cover costs for server infrastructure, websites, etc.. Any help is greatly appreciated (because this is also paid out of DEV's pockets when there are no donations):

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/misc.php?do=donate

Nate. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-22, 09:37   #12
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate. View Post
Project Reality is a non-profit, we will never take money for paying developers.
It is also illegal under the BF2 EULA which PR is still bound by.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-22, 14:19   #13
[R-DEV]​Outlawz7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious3o2 View Post
considering it takes at least 400 hours to complete
Personally I never logged time but 400 is either too much or too little depending on the actual project.

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-22, 16:27   #14
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
It is also illegal under the BF2 EULA which PR is still bound by.
I'm cool. Are you cool? Nobody gotta know shit. Where I'm from, everything is done in cash, in person and under the table.
Last edited by Nate.; 2021-03-22 at 16:41.. Reason: / infraction issued, dont advocate illegal stuff - Nate
Old 2021-03-22, 17:37   #15
ALADE3N
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
I'm cool. Are you cool? Nobody gotta know shit. Where I'm from, everything is done in cash, in person and under the table.
Either make it or just set it aside

ALADE3N is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-22, 19:10   #16
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Money isn't something too often discussed around here as it seems to be everything PR is not about.
This is mostly a passion project. If it weren't so, I'd wager those among the team interested in picking up game design as a real profession over "toying around afterhours in an ancient game engine" would have asked around somewhere already. And even then that wouldn't make it impossible for them to dedicate their time to the project if they really wanted to.

Quote:
I on the other hand think it's time to inject some fiscal lubrication in PR seeing as though these start up games can raise hundreds of thousands of dollars just to make games that have all sorts of shortcomings that will probably never be fixed. If this is something your serious about doing, let's talk.
I hope I'm not going to get shouted at for this from the "top brass" but the team is happy to provide the game for you. After all, what good is a "finished but not actually" game for if nobody can play it?

We have the donations set up for you to help us with the costs of keeping the show running. If you feel obligated to chip every now and again in as a token of appreciation - by all means, do so. We do not require an absurd amount of money monthly and we aren't jealous of the amount of money "we could've made"(which we weren't allowed to anyways) that others did either.

Quote:
Money could be used to commission more maps, statics, models, etc.
As you've laid out yourself, paying a map creator by the hour is completely unreasonable. Statics and models that you can buy on the market currently are way too heavy on the engine to even think about adding them.

Quote:
Money could be used to market the game to new players via social media AND local advertising via word of mouth. LAN Events could be established. Twitch promotions could happen.
We're playing a really niche game, I don't think this would work nearly as well as you're hoping it would.

Quote:
Hell we could even get the right programmers to fix some of the last outstanding "hard coded" issues with PR like the Squad limit, Multi-Core optimization, Netcode issues, and all sorts of stuff that I'm talking somewhat out of my ass about but generally I have an understanding.
It's considered "hardcoded" because it cannot be changed no matter how many programmers you throw at it.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-22, 19:15   #17
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontliner View Post
Statics and models that you can buy on the market currently are way too heavy on the engine to even think about adding them.
Not so much that they are "too heavy on the engine", although yes, many are too high poly, but more most are very unoptimized, have lots of issues and have not been made to the requirements of the BF2 engine. That last one especially goes for Statics which the BF2 engine has a very unique way of handling their textures and statics not made directly for that system don't work very well and are very unoptimised too.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-14, 13:47   #18
_Gabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon-OneOne View Post
I have an idea for a map I think would fit right in with PR real places/ battles and started to go through the tutorials...(thanks Rhino) its slow going. Hopefully, I can find the time for it but in reality, may not ever finish.
Question: Do we have an 80s style US faction? I cant remember off hand
In Khamisiyah STD I believe that the US faction takes place at that time
_Gabo is offline Reply With Quote