project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
28 Jan 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2018-05-26, 22:34   #141
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Default Re: Post Scriptum: The Bloody Seventh

It seems like my fps problems was due to me having ticked preload textures box. Now the the performance is only bad.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-27, 08:29   #142
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

I had fun, gonna play more today.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-27, 13:14   #143
carmikaze
Supporting Member

Had the time of my life. Great game. Intense moments.
carmikaze is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-27, 13:26   #144
Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
It seems like my fps problems was due to me having ticked preload textures box. Now the the performance is only bad.
I'm pretty sure that's because they branched from a Squad build from before they had done significant optimization on their backend systems, like engine related stuff and their animation system.
Vista is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-27, 14:38   #145
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Afaik they never branched off Squad. Both Squad and PS use the same framework (unsure what the official name is). I don't know if PS is using the same version as Squad (which is using the latest I assume), but I'm pretty sure they're quite close if they aren't.

In other words, I think the optimizations aren't in the engine/networking/animation area, but rather all the stuff PS provides on top of that.

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-27, 15:37   #146
[R-DEV]​Psyrus
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
Afaik they never branched off Squad. Both Squad and PS use the same framework (unsure what the official name is). I don't know if PS is using the same version as Squad (which is using the latest I assume), but I'm pretty sure they're quite close if they aren't.

In other words, I think the optimizations aren't in the engine/networking/animation area, but rather all the stuff PS provides on top of that.
It's called OWI-Core as far as I know. The engine customization that they do for their own game is licensed out as a base UE4 customized package... or something like that
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-27, 17:07   #147
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
I'm pretty sure that's because they branched from a Squad build from before they had done significant optimization on their backend systems, like engine related stuff and their animation system.
That's what I thought too. It feels like it.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-28, 16:04   #148
inb4banned

Had fun playing it, the Squad gameplay feels a lot better when most people have bolt action rifles and no optics. The maps are really well done, it forces relatively short engagement distances and using the terrain to your advantage feels great. I like the kill confirmation sound too

My criticism is that the sound levels are obnoxious, just like in Squad which basically forces you to a) have no sound awareness or b) destroy your ears. What's the realism > gameplay point here, to lose your hearing? The other obvious one is game looking like absolute shit, hopefully they can fix that, Squad now looks better. Rest is hopefully just the typical early access stuff and might be fixed in a couple of years.
inb4banned is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-29, 01:57   #149
Murphy

I think I read that they are using v10 (maybe first iteration of v10), and while it did break a fair bit of new ground the optimization that came shortly after really helped a large portion of players see a substantial jump in frames. We have to realize these guys are pretty much always going to be behind Squad in terms of updates, probably a good few months of work each major update to the Squad-core (is that what they call it?)

The foliage is pretty much the same, might even be exactly the same. I recognized a lot of the undergrowth from the SDK, and I'll assume the ground textures and a lot of the materials used on the new statics are from the base provided by Squad. I might wager that your settings are a lot lower in PS than Squad, they should look pretty similar except a few shader tweaks that came after v10. I've heard people saying PS actually looks better than Squad, so I suppose to each their own.

The game has massive sound attenuation issues, countless times I've followed the sound of fire only to find that the sound seemingly propagates out from a larger area than the weapons in Squad. This leads to some difficulties tracking down enemy positions, and I think it also has a lot to do with the difference in volume levels between the samples used for firing sounds. Certain weapons are louder than others creating an uneven soundscape leaving us with the options to crank up the volume to hear everything or miss out on the more subtle audio effects.

I had a blast, I really enjoyed the change to pacing. The game flows completely different than Squad, it manages to slow things down for infantry combat while keeping the overall pace quite quick with the vehicles available. The maps are fantastic, it seems like they took the time to incorporate some design decisions that skewed the overall balance towards Infantry being able to take ground easier than any mix of defenses can hold. The game turns into a momentum based endeavor not unlike our beloved PR.

I still wish the dev teams for both games would reconsider the medic system, it needs to be more forgiving for the players who decide to brave the Medic role. I really like the way BF5 is going to handle it, but I fear it might be viewed as too casual.

Murphy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-29, 03:11   #150
Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
I still wish the dev teams for both games would reconsider the medic system, it needs to be more forgiving for the players who decide to brave the Medic role. I really like the way BF5 is going to handle it, but I fear it might be viewed as too casual.
Really? It seems like it already has several features (not sure if they are in squad) that seem to make it much better than pr. Off the top of my head nearest medic thing is really nice to have.

Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bloody, post, scriptum, seventh