project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
02 Oct 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2016-10-05, 23:48   #1
MRaza

Default APC Seats

In real life, APCs have a total of about ~11 seats total: 3 for the crew and ~8 for passengers. This allows APCs to transport entire infantry squads.

Unfortunately in PR, APCs only have 8 seats total: 2 for the crew 6 for passengers. This means that they can NOT transport entire infantry squads of 8 men each. I don't like that if the 8 men in Squad 1 needs to get from point A to point B, 2 men have to stay behind or find alternative methods of transport. Why do APCs only have 6 passenger seats?
MRaza is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 03:42   #2
communistman
Default Re: APC Seats

My understanding is that it's a fundamental limitation of the game engine--no vehicles can have more than 8 carry slots. It was hardcoded as such back in 2005 and is practically impossible to change.
communistman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 03:45   #3
Yrkidding
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by communistman View Post
My understanding is that it's a fundamental limitation of the game engine--no vehicles can have more than 8 carry slots. It was hardcoded as such back in 2005 and is practically impossible to change.
This explanation is entirely correct.

Yrkidding is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 06:24   #4
Cossack
Supporting Member

Because in 2005 when BF2 came out, nobody cared about PR and its part of source code, witch can't be changed.

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 08:02   #5
Spook
Supporting Member

As stated, the original BF2, on which Project Reality is build on, did only intend to have a maximum of 8 players in a vehicle. Even though alot of work went into trying to modify that, similar to how the squad playerlimit was succesfully increased, no feasible and stable solution could be found yet and probably never will.

Spook is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 09:16   #6
LiamNL
Supporting Member

I believe there was a video some time ago on the forums where during an event they actually managed to get 9 people in a trans chopper somehow.
LiamNL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 10:25   #7
[R-DEV]​Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamNL View Post
I believe there was a video some time ago on the forums where during an event they actually managed to get 9 people in a trans chopper somehow.
Yes, by having the passenger list count from 2.

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 10:49   #8
K4on
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Yes, AD and Kris Rivers worked on 8< seats vehicles (mega seats), but the results were never brought to proper game implementation. also because of the laggy nature the method had back then.

the video featured 11 people tho

K4on is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 12:54   #9
Spook
Supporting Member

No he is referring to the KIA cow video from a WOTF event I think.

Spook is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 22:48   #10
Prancer

I would like to mention that many modern IFVs do have only 6 seats in the passenger compartment. Either that or troops in full battle rattle gear cannot pack themselves in any tighter than 6 per vehicle. The most recent variant of the M2 Bradley, the M2A3, fits 7 in the passenger compartment.

But yeah. Vehicles like the M113 or AAVP7 should be able to fit more instead of the 6 passenger limit. The unfortunate reality of Project Reality.
Prancer is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
apc, seats