project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
04 Jun 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Old 2015-02-13, 22:36   #11
Leopardi

Default Re: Creative X-Fi audio renderer

And how do you change it? Looks like this for me:

Code:
Audio Information
-----------------
  Primary Playback: Speakers (Realtek High Definiti
 Primary Recording: Microphone (HD Webcam C270)
  Open AL Renderer: Software
               EAX: True
           EAX 1.0: False
           EAX 2.0: True
           EAX 3.0: False
           EAX 4.0: False
           EAX 5.0: False
             X-RAM: False
Leopardi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-13, 22:40   #12
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

It's hardware detection... It's not settings. It dedects your hardware and software.

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-14, 10:39   #13
Leopardi

Well.. it detects wrong
Old 2015-02-14, 16:01   #14
REDFOX1916

Sound card=waste of money
REDFOX1916 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-14, 16:37   #15
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDFOX1916 View Post
Depends what you want to use it for really. It is made and bought for specific reasons for specific needs. Same way an entire PC is waste of money cause it's a luxury product. Just depends on the user and his needs

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-20, 09:59   #16
inb4banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardi View Post
Why has this been taken out? The audio quality in general with this mode and Ultra High is much better, like going from a 64 mp3 to full 320 quality. And the accuracy of surround sound is like from a completely different world. The mode works with most modern gaming motherboards, not just those with sound blasters, so it would be good to have.
It hasn't been taken out, your hardware doesn't support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardi View Post
Shows only Hardware and Software for me, FH2 launcher has no problems detecting my motherboard X-Fi.
You're mistaking "Creative X-Fi" (sound mode in PR/ BF2) for "EAX" (environmental audio extensions). Only Creative X-Fi sound cards will support this option. It has to do with the sound chip being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Wasn't Ultra High removed as an option? Due to its glitchyness and giving people using it massive advantages. I remember reading something about it in the changelogs from a recent patch and I also lost that option in one of these patches even though I did not use it anyways.

Like hearing footsteps and FOB radio's and vehicles around 3-4 times further than normal people + consistent random sound bugs.
It wasn't and it really shouldn't be. It gives the same 'advantage' as a good monitor does over a bad one, or a good CPU over a bad one. Its glitchiness is due to poor implementation in PR, it has gotten way worse since 1.0 and then even more inconsistent around 1.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDFOX1916 View Post
Not in PR or any Source games. Not only positioning, good soundcard also gives you much better audio quality because they use much better components.
inb4banned is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-20, 20:50   #17
Leopardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by inb4banned View Post
It hasn't been taken out, your hardware doesn't support it.

You're mistaking "Creative X-Fi" (sound mode in PR/ BF2) for "EAX" (environmental audio extensions). Only Creative X-Fi sound cards will support this option. It has to do with the sound chip being used.

Yes it does, the X-Fi sound mode works perfectly in FH2 except for the bugged EAX 5, even though these newer motherboard X-Fi driver packages support it.
Old 2015-02-20, 22:19   #18
Unarmed Civilian

As an X-Fi owner I can confirm that I have an x-ray like hearing. Playing in a squad of 8, I'm like a medium, foretelling what is coming and from where and being able to exactly locate where the enemy is and how far. I'm aware of this advantage, but as mentioned here, the quality is just brutally superior to "Hardware High", I can't go back and play with that quality anymore. It's water and fine wine. There are a few bugs like grenades, gun fire, and the most annoying thing the CAS rocket bug, but the quality and immersion is perfection.

Taking the Ultra High setting out is absurd, for example, its like somebody complains that their PC can only support 80% view distance, while some people are able to play at 100%. I once again beg for a fix in Ultra High, the sound glitches are annoying and would be great if things get adjusted in order to preserve the quality and fairness in general.

Edit 1: I spent like 500-600 US dollars to have this setup of an X-Fi Fatality Champion Series and a Astro a40 headset, since I live in Brazil these things had to be imported and got taxed with an extra 60% of their original value and fees. I only expected to gain a few FPS using a dedicated audio board and a decent headset for the quality. I believe PR is reaching it's last days of development but if someone could look up at the ultra high settings and fix it, that would be awesome.

Edit 2: About the advantages, I think if things are quiet, I can hear footsteps(sprinting) some 50 meters (150ft) away, and in 2KM maps I can sometimes hear the enemy CAS taking off. I can pinpoint a vehicle 300 meters(900ft) away.
Last edited by Unarmed Civilian; 2015-02-20 at 22:39..
Old 2015-02-22, 10:41   #19
Unarmed Civilian

Update: I played Operation Marlin 1-2 days ago and I noticed that my "advantage" was much "nerfed" to the point of being almost nonexistent. I don't know why or what, I believe that the ambient sounds that are very constant and present did impact in this. Also, on the French Embassy flag I noticed that the sound was much better calculated, like, I was standing on the stairs leading to the underground and every time I crouched the sounds of the outside were muffled. This rarely happens in most of the maps. Usually happens in Operation Marlin and Black Gold, but the sound of Black Gold can be glitchy inside certain buildings.
Unarmed Civilian is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-22, 19:56   #20
inb4banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unarmed Civilian View Post
Update: I played Operation Marlin 1-2 days ago and I noticed that my "advantage" was much "nerfed" to the point of being almost nonexistent. I don't know why or what, I believe that the ambient sounds that are very constant and present did impact in this. Also, on the French Embassy flag I noticed that the sound was much better calculated, like, I was standing on the stairs leading to the underground and every time I crouched the sounds of the outside were muffled. This rarely happens in most of the maps. Usually happens in Operation Marlin and Black Gold, but the sound of Black Gold can be glitchy inside certain buildings.
Yes, it has been very inconsistent since 1.0 and then even more since 1.2. On some maps you have God like hearing, on others it's completely crap. Then the next time you play that same map it's great again. Ambient noises didn't matter as much before 1.0, now footsteps also sound the same as anything burning.
inb4banned is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, creative, renderer, xfi