project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
24 May 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Old 2015-09-09, 11:27   #41
KillJoy[Fr]

Default re: G36 and its problems/ future replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitneuc View Post
France ordered HK417 to fill the gap between the assault rifles (FAMAS) and the precision bolt-action rifles (FR-F2), troops basically lacked a proper marksman rifle.
Exactly, and remember our special forces use a few german weapons like HK416 for the 1erRPIMA.

Au dela du possible ...
KillJoy[Fr] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-09, 11:36   #42
Frontliner
Project Reality Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
Surely by 2019 wouldn't it be time for a new rifle anyway?
Not at all. There isn't really much you can do with an Assault Rifle once you have something like the G36A1/A3:
-The caliber isn't going to be changed(99.9% sure), thus the core specifications of the new rifle remain in about the same ballpark as the G36's.
-The rifle does feature 2 optics by default(the way it is in PR) but I've seen soldiers opting for one optic over 2 depending on the mission. This is the only real issue I have with the G36, the scope is just annoying, very limited field of view due to the scope being build to fit the rifle's width. I hope the new rifle will continue to feature 2 optics for long range and CQC, and more useable ones.
-Most if not all of the commonly used equipment(UGLs, Flashlights, IR-Pointers) can be added with the fitting handguard, that's all you need. However attachments aren't relevant when the question is about the capabilities of the rifle itself(Still thought I add this).
-There are a few more things that I could list that make soldier's life more convenient(carrying handle, retrackable stock, etc.), but again those aren't a huge deal when combat performance is concerned.

By 2019 the G36 is ~25 years old, it has been 22 years then since it was officially introduced in the Bundeswehr. That's not really old, and like I said above, the room for improvement in the Assault Rifle department is rather limited. Our Sec. of Defense is a lying sack of shit for saying something as dumb as the rifle being outdated; as a matter of fact, only 2 (Assault) rifles that have been introduced in "relevant" forces are newer: The HK416(though strictly speaking it is an LMG) and the Tavor.

Maybe the replacement will be an ICW like the Daewoo K11, but honestly I don't see that happening.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-09, 12:07   #43
Cossack
Supporting Member

Latvian military is using g36kv variant. None of the guys who were sent on mission complaint about it. Like, it's really flexible and with all the rails, you can put on it everything.

I think choosing kv over A3 version was smart move. Because those standard sights are really bad.

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-09, 18:48   #44
Spec
Retired Moderator
Supporting Member

Well, at least von der Leyen had her screen time. Geez.

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Old 2015-09-09, 23:11   #45
MADsqirrel
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
Latvian military is using g36kv variant. None of the guys who were sent on mission complaint about it. Like, it's really flexible and with all the rails, you can put on it everything.

I think choosing kv over A3 version was smart move. Because those standard sights are really bad.
We actually used A3s in Afghanistan and had lots of brand new optics, no standard sights.

After a quick wiki check the G36kv seems to be a G36k without the standard optic set, so it is actually a good deal because the G36k is amazingly light and better for cramped spaces (APCs, Urban enviroment, Paratroopers etc.) only our COs and NCOs got them sadly.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic56970_7.gif
MADsqirrel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-11, 18:13   #46
carmikaze
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Spec View Post
Well, at least von der Leyen had her screen time. Geez.
Meh, don't be a drama queen, the G36 is a pathetic pile of cowcrap compared to other rifles and it's replacement is long overdue.

Overheating, accuracy problems, ridiculous to say the least. Don't blame Leyen for dealing with the BS her predecessors did.
carmikaze is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-11, 19:39   #47
Raphavenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmikaze View Post
Meh, don't be a drama queen, the G36 is a pathetic pile of cowcrap compared to other rifles and it's replacement is long overdue.

Overheating, accuracy problems, ridiculous to say the least. Don't blame Leyen for dealing with the BS her predecessors did.
Honestly can't tell if you are serious...

What else do you suggest for our forces? Sure, the G36 isn't perfect. It has its problems.
Just like any other mechanical system in the whole world! Especially if the problems In question are coming from soldiers using them like they are MGs...

For 18 years the G36 was a popular assault rifle with a great reputation among operators all around the globe. Accurate. Reliable. Well Engineered. And now, all of a sudden, and ONLY in the German military it becomes so obsolete and problematic that the army has to change it ASAP?

I can smell the bullshit coming out of the German ministry of Defense right here in my apartment in Southwestern France!
Raphavenger is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-15, 06:21   #48
Frontliner
Project Reality Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmikaze View Post

I don't know whether you've actually been reading in this thread, but the only people who believe the G36 to be shit are those who know very little to nothing about the subject matter, you, for example, our Sec. of Defense and the media. VdL knows how to present herself as someone who's willing to take action(whether that action makes any sense seems to be of little relevance to you) and you fell for it, hook line and sinker, congratulations. But hey, media reports it, government reports it, must be true, k?

@Rapha
Don't be alarmed, we aren't using them like MGs lol. That's one of the things our media like to suggest. Stuff written by pacifists for pacifists, I'll just shake my head in embarassment.

@Mad shit that's so sexy, I wish they'd bring those to our reserve exercises. What's the thing in front of the scope? Restlichtverst?rker?(~night vision)

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-15, 19:43   #49
Raphavenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontliner View Post
@Rapha
Don't be alarmed, we aren't using them like MGs lol. That's one of the things our media like to suggest. Stuff written by pacifists for pacifists, I'll just shake my head in embarassment.
You shall know it better than me. But to clarify my point, I wasn't necessarily talking about poor training, more like bad practices under extreme stress situations like a firefight etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontliner View Post
@Mad shit that's so sexy, I wish they'd bring those to our reserve exercises. What's the thing in front of the scope? Restlichtverst?rker?(~night vision)
I believe its the IRV 300 Thermal Attachment.

Edit: Its not the Nachtsichtaufsatz (NSA 80)

I believe its the HuntIR thermal sight
Last edited by Raphavenger; 2015-09-16 at 15:17..
Old 2015-09-15, 20:45   #50
KingLorre

Just a thought here right, our military is increasing its integration with the German military year by year. 11 LMB is already integrated with your speziale krafte division. The seebattalion is joining our marines, 43 mechbrig will be integrated with 1st panzer division by 2019 and a German tanks squadron is supposedly integrating with the our one remaining formation.

I don't know if the G36 is at all in any way shape or form compatible with the AR-15 in the way of sharing parts or even magazines being interchangeable(I heard once magazines from a g36 don't fit in most other NATO rifles but again, I don't know anything on the matter).

But considering much of the Dutchy military is currently being absorbed or absorbing parts of neighbours militaries(There's more examples of this I reckon, all across western Europe), couldn't this be a ploy to buy a new service rifle that is more compatible with other NATO nations? (Netherlands with its Colt Canada's and Belgium with its new FN SCARs)

I'm just thinking out loud here.
KingLorre is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
future, g36, problems, problems or, replacement