project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
12 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2019-04-02, 21:07   #1
3ti65

Default [BF3:Realitymod] A Project Reality / Squad inspired mod for Battlefield 3

Hey guys

My name is 3ti65, I've been playing PR since 0.65 (about 12 years). Since PR has been getting old and a lot of the old players / communities were losing interest over the time, I found myself dreaming of a PR style mod for a newer Battlefield.
Unfortunately EA / DICE never released any modding tools for the Frostbite powered games, stating "We think it's going to be too big of a challenge for people to make a mod".

As it happens, there's a small but dedicated modding scene for BF3, that has been working on a powerful modding-interface which goes by the name of Venice Unleashed (VU). "Venice" being the internal codename for Battlefield 3. VU had gained some public attention about 3 years ago, there’s been some small fun mods etc, but the framework back then wasn’t stable and documented enough to support big scale mods, so the project went back into development mode.

About that time, I teamed up with Powback, who’s been into Frostbite reversing and modding since before Battlefield 3, most famously known for the MapEditor for Battlefield: Bad Company 2. We were both interested in the idea of developing a Project Reality style mod and decided to do something about it. After about a year or so of creating proofs of concepts in VU, we were joined by FoolHen, who has also been playing PR and loved the idea of a PR-style mod for BF3. Together we started working on the codebase for the mod, working name BF3:Realitymod.
Ever since then, the project has slowly but steadily been growing, and we're now a team of around 20 people, including designers, movie makers, sysadmins, etc.
We've been working closely together with the VU Devs, NoFaTe and Kiwidog, actively supporting the development by doing feature requests, quality assurance, writing documentation, writing tools, etc. As it stands now, the modding framework is powerful enough to support the scope of this project, and the official release of VU 1.0 will be here Very Soon™.

The Realitymod team has aslo been actively developing tools and utilities to make this project happen, including the MapEditor, an open source, multiplayer, ingame level editor, that allows you to use any assets from all maps, including Coop, Singleplayer and Multiplayer.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Video

With this tool, we’ll be able to make custom maps of up to 16x16km of playable area.

Here's a quick teaser video that we did to draw in some additional devs:

This was 7 months ago and we've made massive progress since then. We'll do a proper release trailer as soon as we're ready.

As for BF3:Realitymod, we've come close to what you could call the MVP (Minimum viable product). In order to assure the quality of the mod and the performance of large servers (100p, higher tickrate), we want to establish a testing community, that will take care of testing and giving feedback to new features and the mod as a whole.

Here is some of the confirmed features for the mod:

- Infantry only (vehicles will come later)
- 3 vanilla maps (our mapping tool is still being worked on)
- Advance and Secure (AAS) gamemode, known from PR and Squad
- Adjusted player movements
- Custom health system (bleedout, fielddressings, dedicated medic role)
- First person death cam
- Adjusted gun stats, ADS times, projectiles speed, etc.
- All custom user interface (UI), minimalistic HUD, etc.
- Custom mumble client similar to PR Mumble
- Squad system same as PR
- Kit system same as PR, slightly more customizable, but no crate / apc kit spawning yet
- Spawn system similar to PR, with FOBs and RallyPoints that Squadleaders can set
- Custom admin chat command system similar to PR
- Custom point system

There might be more features added before the initial release. Custom / modified maps are most likely part of the initial release.

Our goal with the mod is to show that it’s indeed possible to have PR style gameplay on Battlefield 3. In the long run, we want to make this whole thing a community effort, because that’s what made Project Reality so powerful and fun to play.

-> If you're interested in the mod or in VU itself, and you want to stay up to date with our progress, go ahead and join our discord servers:

BF3:Realitymod - https://discord.gg/CzEGTQU
Venice Unleashed - https://discord.gg/5MWk3Su

If you're interested in actively contributing to BF3:Realitymod, we’re currently looking for the following people:

- Tester / QA

To apply as tester, fill out this form:

Google Form

Sign ups will be open for roughly 2 weeks. Make sure to read the description carefully, so you know what to expect and what will be expected of you.

Additionally, we’re still looking experienced people in these positions:

- Developer: Lua, JavaScript (including Vue.js), C# / C++
- Community Manager
- SysAdmin

To apply as any of these, go to the discord link above and send a direct message to me (@3ti65#9109)
You can also PM me directly if you don’t specifically fit any of the roles above, but think your skills could still support the project in some way.

Thanks for your interest and stay tuned!

~ The Realitymod team.
Last edited by 3ti65; 2019-04-02 at 21:08.. Reason: Youtube link broken
Old 2019-04-03, 11:17   #2
Pronck
Supporting Member

Default Re: [BF3:Realitymod] A Project Reality / Squad inspired mod for Battlefield 3

Good luck! Hopefully you can manage to make something fun that we can enjoy for many years.

We are staying up!
Pronck is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-03, 20:42   #3
[R-CON]​mectus11
PR:BF2 Contributor

Default Re: [BF3:Realitymod] A Project Reality / Squad inspired mod for Battlefield 3

realitymod team where have I heard that before, anyway best of luck with your mod.

mectus11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-04, 14:10   #4
3ti65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mectus11 View Post
realitymod team where have I heard that before, anyway best of luck with your mod.

Yeah i mean, it might change before release, but for now it's whatever, what matters is the product itself and not the label.
3ti65 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-04, 14:45   #5
[R-DEV]​camo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

It does matter a bit. I agree product>label but there's already enough confusion out there in regards to what the 'realitymod team' is working on that it's probably worth changing to make it easier for people to understand.

We wouldn't want to take credit for your efforts in getting a PR mod for BF3, but nor do we want people to think that we've moved onto BF3 either.

Last edited by camo; 2019-04-04 at 14:51..
Old 2019-04-07, 00:27   #6
3ti65

I think we've done our fair bit in making sure to emphasize that we're not related to the PR dev team. I haven't come across anyone that thought the PR devs have moved on, and the 2-3 people asking us in our discord whether it was the same team have been told that we're unrelated. I don't see a big confusion coming out of this, since we're not named 'Project Reality', which is the name that PR is obviously famous for. If it becomes an actual issue on your side, let me know immediately and we'll find a solution.
3ti65 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 14:39   #7
[R-CON]​Suchar
PR:BF2 Contributor
Project Reality Beta Tester
PR Server License Moderator

Post Re: [BF3:Realitymod] A Project Reality / Squad inspired mod for Battlefield 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ti65 View Post
I haven't come across anyone that thought the PR devs have moved on, and the 2-3 people asking us in our discord whether it was the same team have been told that we're unrelated
Well, I have met at least several dozens of people thinking that PR:WW2 will never happen because devs started to mod bf3 etc.

prta is known for his lack of "authority" on cheaters, your server your rules if you want to close an eye on him do so ~ A guy (who was proven to be a cheater next day) right after reporting another cheater
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suchar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 14:42   #8
PBAsydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SucharMistrz View Post
Well, I have met at least several dozens of people thinking that PR:WW2 will never happen because devs started to mod bf3 etc.
2 hours?

HITREG CARRY
PBAsydney is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 15:04   #9
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ti65 View Post
I don't see a big confusion coming out of this, since we're not named 'Project Reality', which is the name that PR is obviously famous for. If it becomes an actual issue on your side, let me know immediately and we'll find a solution.

I think both the name Project Reality and Realitymod should really be avoided. Just google realitymod and see what comes up. Which is what we have seen being always used to describe your project. But like we spoke before, as long as this is sorted before release it's all alright. But building your own brand and identity is important. Everybody uses inspiration or motivation from somewhere else, but when you build something yourself, gotta reflect that in the way you represent it. And I believe doing that sooner rather then later is important.

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 05:08   #10
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Not to mention that even BlueDrake who called his ARMA3 mod "Project Reality: ARMA3" regretted doing so because of these reasons given above. You would be far better off calling your project something totally different and just using the line "inspired by PR" than the whole trying to explain you are not related even thou you basically have the same name...

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
battlefield 3, venice unleashed