project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
17 Jul 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Old 2018-01-07, 01:52   #1
Undecided
Thumbs down Neverending Updates

Let me first say that I appreciate the hard work and dedication to make a free to play standalone game.

However with that said, its hard work that is wasted when a user can't even get to play it.
  • Your website states to download from torrents as the preferred choice (hash/checksums verified..blah blah blah).
  • Alright fine, I'll download this 8GB file.
  • Wonderful, lets install it, immediate "failed to check if its an authentic file" error.
  • Since I have only a 3mbps connection at the moment, not going to redownload, lets continue anyway.
  • Create profile, okay no problem.
  • Click play........I need to update otherwise can't play on all servers.....ok
  • Downloading updates......1.4.1.....1.4.2.....1.4.7.......wtf.. ......1.4.18.....wow.
  • Alright, had installed the game yesterday, just wanted to play today, 45min wasted already.
  • Oh wait, installing latest updates...1.4.1.....1.4.2....wow.

Its been another hour, I can't say I think much of your game since I cancelled update installation 1.4.15 before I could load the game.

Maybe update your torrent to the lastest version, or you know, wait to roll all updates in one release? Seriously, v1.4.20? Just go to 1.5 and call it a day.

Even with a faster connection, I still wouldn't spend an hour to update a game I just downloaded. This isn't a PS4.

Just fyi, I could've downloaded and installed Insurgency, played TWO full rounds, all within the same time I spent to load your game.

Your updates to appease your current fan base is well warranted, but for new users like me its off putting to the point where I won't bother with this game.
Undecided is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-07, 07:30   #2
chrisweb89
Default Re: Neverending Updates

That's your loss, and all I have to say is PR is 100% worth any hassle or trouble updating it. If it's such a hassle you can download and update when you see doing other things like sleeping or working.

I do get the point you are raising and while it might be annoying and I'm sure would be better if the torrent file was updated more often and kept seeded, but I also get that that's a low priority compared to fixed and features. The current launcher is an amazing improvement compared to anything we had in the past, and while releases/fixed can still sometimes be slower than the playerbase would want, it's a massive improvement to pre launcher/updater days.

PR is an old game cobbled together by people on their own time using their own resources, it may not stand up to new modern games in perfection and nice clean releases and an easy steam updater, but it surpasses them in every other way. Once you go through the hassle of installing and fixing any weird bugs, plus learning all the complexities of the game and community, you won't need to by another game again.
chrisweb89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-07, 08:28   #3
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

We usually create installers when the x changes in version 1.x.0, so the next full installer will be 1.5.0. It takes quite some time to create these installers, so we don't do that for hotfixes (1.4.x).

Sorry about the wait, but this is how it is I'm afraid. Most people have no issues with this, as you don't have to do anything but wait until it's done. And once PR is installed, it'll keep your install up-to-date, like Steam does basically. So it's really a one time thing.

Hope you'll give this another try!

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-07, 10:12   #4
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor

Does updating prevent you from using the computer?
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-07, 18:44   #5
Undecided

I appreciate your responses, but just wanted to clarify the issues I encountered in case you wished to address them.
  • Your torrent as noted is horribly outdated, i understand devs stating that hotfixes are more important, but creating an installer package is nowhere near as difficult as the work spent on the hotfixes themselves.
  • After encountering the "failed authentication" error, I was genuinely concerned that after update 1.4.5, I might be infecting my computer with malware. Why you ask? Because your website has no mention of the current build. Go to your home page if you don't believe me. I had to enter your forums to make sure that yes, v1.4.20 exists. Your downloads page shows 1.4.1, your small blog post display says v1.4.18, that's it.
  • Their is no message or warning stating that this game needs to be updated. I wouldn't even had an issue if a simple message states the downloads are old releases that need to be updated.
  • Having worked in Tier 2 backend, I could understand the need for hotfixes and patches that will leave an installation file outdated. But we are talking about v1.4.1 to 1.4.20......19 releases! Seriously, a weapon skin update is the least priority, update your executables guys!

I know this game is old but I still play Wolfenstein ET, which still manages to install and run on an OS it was never designed for. In fact, the mods and "hotfixes" the community make are the main cause of issues.

Again, you have a very nice game and the hard work is clearly shown, but the simplest things are overlooked. I feel a revamped website, less exclusivity for clans and tournaments, or just any marketing would bring more life into this project, which could fund a sequel or increase the player base.

Not everyone can run Squad or Arma, so this game still does fulfill a niche which warrant these fixes. Hopefully I can give this game another try at v1.5, but not if I have to update from 1.4.1 to get there.
Undecided is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-07, 19:05   #6
Rabbit

Never ending updates is a dream for many of us.

Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-07, 22:20   #7
Piipu

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
Most people have no issues with this.
Everyone I play with has been very pissed at this, to the point that I created my own torrent that has a zipped version of the .20 and shared it to my friends. You really need to do more full installers, it's just idiotic to force everyone to go through hours of updates directly after an install.

MY STRONG PC SPECTS
Piipu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-07, 22:26   #8
chrisweb89

Some solid points raised. Rather than making a new installer would it be possible to put all the new updates into a second update for the installer so people van get closer to the current release in 2 easy downloads. Basically like it was done before, then they could use the launcher to do the final catching up.
chrisweb89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-07, 22:35   #9
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor

It still just once, and progress isn't lost on download failure. Not really a priority.
1.5 will have a new torrent.
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-07, 22:44   #10
Piipu

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AlonTavor View Post
It still just once, and progress isn't lost on download failure. Not really a priority.
1.5 will have a new torrent.
Still mate, it shouldn't be too much to ask for an installer update once per year. Even your common f2p grindfests have the decency to install the latest version of the game. At the very least, the update churn should start automatically after install, not when you try to play the game with your pals the next evening and find out half of them haven't got the right version.

MY STRONG PC SPECTS
Piipu is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
neverending, updates