project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
18 Oct 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2018-11-13, 06:47   #1
fenriz9000
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator
Default AK reload animation

Well, the way its implemented (AK reloading) it looks like the nobody use this weapon.
I think that animation should take much less time for AK and evenmore, not changing hands during reloading is best practice. Also, if you not unloaded the whole magazine, you not needed to slide breechblock which reduce reloading time.
fenriz9000 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-13, 07:19   #2
[R-DEV]​camo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: AK reload animation

With PR reload animations there's usually a bit of an artistic licence taken with it by the animator. Do what looks good and fits the PR theme of reloads, not necessarily the most high speed low drag way.

As for non empty mag reloads, there's a limitation of the BF2 engine that prevents us from having two types of reloads so the empty mag reload animation is used for all reloads.

camo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-13, 07:42   #3
fenriz9000
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

hardcoded, as I expected. Thanks!
fenriz9000 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-13, 20:34   #4
BlackGus

Please add this animation for AKs
BlackGus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-14, 22:56   #5
Ragnarok1775

Reload animations do feel really slow though.

Hold on while I'm taking machine gun fire, lemme make sure I don't scratch the finish on the mag, okay let's put the empty mag back in my pocket without getting it dirty, now let's carefully get a new one out, hold on let's make sure the mag that weighs a lot more than the empty one actually has bullets in it even though I topped off all mags earlier, let's make sure I'm holding it in the right direction even though my gear is set up so that when I grab a mag it's already facing the right way and would be nearly impossible to grab backwards, okay now let's seat it in the mag well really carefully, etc etc etc.

Ragnarok1775 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 00:56   #6
X-Alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok1775 View Post
Reload animations do feel really slow though.

Hold on while I'm taking machine gun fire, lemme make sure I don't scratch the finish on the mag, okay let's put the empty mag back in my pocket without getting it dirty, now let's carefully get a new one out, hold on let's make sure the mag that weighs a lot more than the empty one actually has bullets in it even though I topped off all mags earlier, let's make sure I'm holding it in the right direction even though my gear is set up so that when I grab a mag it's already facing the right way and would be nearly impossible to grab backwards, okay now let's seat it in the mag well really carefully, etc etc etc.
They're catch-all and good enough, more important things than reanimating all the guns in the game.
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 03:06   #7
[R-DEV]​Arab
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Though a seperate animation for non-empty mag reloads is impossible, an alternative animation can be made for the reload to play at random times.

The issue with that is the reload sounds may not be synced as it's most likely hardcoded to use reload_1p and reload_3p sounds and the animation has to match the code in the .tweak like the delay to use code. Basically the secondary animation has to get sounds and animation times exactly like the primary one.

This is an engine from 2005, over 13 years old.
Unless DICE releases the source codes for Battlefield 1942, BF: Vietnam, BF2, BF2142 etc for products that are abandonware for the entire modding community which is active (a miracle considering the age of the games), then we are limited by the modding capabilities currently present and the workarounds too.

It's a shame but this is what we're limited by.

Last edited by Arab; 2018-11-15 at 03:18..

Tags
animation, reload