project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
17 Oct 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Old 2012-08-20, 22:37   #1
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

Default Type 26 'Global Combat Ship' [Royal Navy frigate]

So the MoD have finally unveiled the final design of the future frigate of the Royal Navy, and hopefully of other navies around the world. It is a frigate that can have multiple roles such as AAW, ASW and general purpose and is intended for export sales due to its ability to re-role at a cheap price for its capabilities. The Royal Navy is planning and hoping for 13 of these frigates to replace the 13 current Type 23s in service.

The Type 26 is set to include 48 VLS cells (for launching missiles) which will be made even more useful as there is the new Sea Ceptor missile which can be quad packed into a single cell and there will be the ability to launch cruise missiles.

Also included is a 'medium calibre gun' which will either be the Oto Malera 127/64 or the BaE 127/62 MK45 Mod 4. Two DS30 guns are also on board which are used for self-defence against swarm attacks although rumour has it that the MoD is looking to convert the CTA40 to shipboard use so that it can use airburst and HE ammunition.

CIWS is also shown in the form of Phalanx 1B, although the RN does seem to prefer the Dutch made Goalkeeper which uses the same gun as the A-10.

The ship also sports a 'mission bay' which is capable of holding helicopters, boats and unmanned underwater vehicles (UUVs). The FireShadow loitering munition might also be able to launch from the VLS cells.

While the ship itself is '80% legacy, 20% new' design, the majority of this legacy design will be from the new Type 45 air-defence destroyer bought by the Royal Navy so it is in fact not some old steamer.

BBC News - MoD reveals design of Royal Navy future warships
Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Equipment and Logistics | Design unveiled of Royal Navy's future warships
UK Armed Forces Commentary: The Type 26 takes shape

eddie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 23:00   #2
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Type 26 'Global Combat Ship' [Royal Navy frigate]

BAE needs some better promotional artists... Sometimes they do really good ones, most of the time really poor, like the above...

Looks like the design has changed quite considerably since the last time I saw this.

Are you still sure it has its mission bay eddie? Can't see it in the rear render, in the old ones its clearly shown.

I really hope they haven't taken that out of the design as I've seen it on a few US Coat Guard ships and the speed they get their small boats in and out is soo much faster than the traditional method, which counts for a lot in anti-piracy, drugs etc.

Also the Phalanx, mixed with the DS30b has been in favour over the Goal Keeper for some time. If you look at the Type 45, the Queen Elizabeth class etc, they all have a mixture of Phalanx and DS30b. The older ships have had either a Phalanx or Goal Keepers, even the same class of ship sometimes don't have the same defence setup as their sister ships but I think the Goal Keeper has gone out of favour, for w/e reason.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 00:29   #3
JimmyKid1996

I like the look more than the littoral combat ship the US navy is using.

JimmyKid1996 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 01:17   #4
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

You are right Rhino, there is no mission bay. It is now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoD
a flexible mission space for unmanned air, surface and underwater vehicles, or additional boats
So yeah...

eddie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 01:42   #5
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

well that sucks... They put all that work into designing it and with anti-piracy and other "policing the sea" jobs that these ships now spend most of their time doing, you would have thought something like this wouldn't have been scrapped so easily...

Old 2012-08-21, 13:13   #6
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
The ship also sports a 'mission bay' which is capable of holding helicopters, boats and unmanned underwater vehicles (UUVs). The FireShadow loitering munition might also be able to launch from the VLS cells.
Everyone would have bought this ship just to be able to say

To the MISSION bay!
<Cue theme tune>

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 13:54   #7
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
well that sucks... They put all that work into designing it and with anti-piracy and other "policing the sea" jobs that these ships now spend most of their time doing, you would have thought something like this wouldn't have been scrapped so easily...
I was having a little joke with you Rhino There is no aft doors for boats now and the mission bay has been slightly reduced in capacity but it is still fairly sizeable. Instead the boats are lowered by davits from the starboard or port side of the ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaE
A key feature is the ship?s flexible mission space, which can accommodate up to four 12 metre sea boats, a range of manned and unmanned air, surface or underwater vehicles or up to 11 20ft containers or ?capability modules?
BaE Global Combat Ship

This is a step-up from the Type 23 which includes just a flight deck and hangar.

Are you a Star Trek or A-Team fan by any chance Rudd?

Edit: Here's a 2600x1463 version of the artist's rendering. http://www.baesystems.com/cs/groups/...n/original.jpg

Last edited by eddie; 2012-08-21 at 14:01..
Old 2012-08-21, 21:28   #8
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
I was having a little joke with you Rhino There is no aft doors for boats now and the mission bay has been slightly reduced in capacity but it is still fairly sizeable. Instead the boats are lowered by davits from the starboard or port side of the ship.
I'm on about the "mini-well dock" not being there that sucks, as that was pretty much the entire point of the missions bay.

Its proven very useful for the US Coast Guard, I think on the "National Security Cutter (NSC)" ships but might be a different one, with really helping the small boat response times on drug busting. (Not entirely the same design but same basic concept)

And ye lowering boats down is the standard way of doing it and was always part of the design of this ship as a backup, just its not anything like as fast to deploy or recover in this manner.

Quote:
Edit: Here's a 2600x1463 version of the artist's rendering. http://www.baesystems.com/cs/groups/...n/original.jpg
God no that's even worse! I will never understand why they don't bother to use the same version of the Phalanx model from there best renders of ships instead of insisting to make a new one each time as just one example....
Phalanx from one of the old QE class renders...

Old 2012-08-22, 08:33   #9
Gaz
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
The Royal Navy is planning and hoping for 13 of these frigates
Ah dude, you crack me up sometimes!

They'll get 6 If the Navy are good.
Gaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 08:49   #10
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
The Royal Navy is planning and hoping for 13 of these frigates to replace the 13 current Type 23s in service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Ah dude, you crack me up sometimes!

They'll get 6 If the Navy are good.
Not to mention that while yes we have 13 Type 23 Fridges in service now, but before the SDSR we had 17, and before that waaay more

But I expect we will get around 10 as the RN is now so light on destroyers it needs to have as many Frigates as it can get to fill that gap, otherwise things like anti-piracy deployments will simply not be possible.

Tags
combat, frigate, global, navy, royal, ship, type