project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
20 Oct 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2018-08-08, 20:13   #11
X-Alt

Default Re: Binoculars...Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
I am thankful that the devs decided to weigh in on "Situational Awareness" as an aspect to balance. The fact that people cannot "see" enemies is more of an issue with the individual as spotting enemy players has always been fairly easy in the BF2 engine (even at 500+ meters players are a color/contrast that stands out in just about any environment).

Please keep things balanced as they are, or maybe lean more into the removal of binos. The regular infantry doesn't need binos it's just another crutch people have leaned on for too long.
It's been 5 years, 95% of players have never played conventional forces with binocs or incendiary grenades.
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-09, 23:15   #12
tankninja1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
I am thankful that the devs decided to weigh in on "Situational Awareness" as an aspect to balance. The fact that people cannot "see" enemies is more of an issue with the individual as spotting enemy players has always been fairly easy in the BF2 engine (even at 500+ meters players are a color/contrast that stands out in just about any environment).

Please keep things balanced as they are, or maybe lean more into the removal of binos. The regular infantry doesn't need binos it's just another crutch people have leaned on for too long.
I find your lack of "faith" disturbing. Clearly you have never heard of these things known as "buildings" or "bushes" that people are known to use to hide at 0-500m. Not to mention uniforms of the various nations look more similar than ever. The only two nations that have particularly different looking camo are the Chinese and the IDF. I mean the Russians used to look pretty distinct with lighter green uniforms. Now they look more or less exactly like the NATO patterns with a dark green, though they are slightly different than USMC or Germany who are brown.

I think that binoculars should at least be available to all (modern) non-scoped kits.

Last edited by tankninja1; 2018-08-09 at 23:28..
Old 2018-08-10, 00:35   #13
FFG
Project Reality Beta Tester
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankninja1 View Post
I find your lack of "faith" disturbing. Clearly you have never heard of these things known as "buildings" or "bushes" that people are known to use to hide at 0-500m. Not to mention uniforms of the various nations look more similar than ever. The only two nations that have particularly different looking camo are the Chinese and the IDF. I mean the Russians used to look pretty distinct with lighter green uniforms. Now they look more or less exactly like the NATO patterns with a dark green, though they are slightly different than USMC or Germany who are brown.

I think that binoculars should at least be available to all (modern) non-scoped kits.
Its not that hard to see people 500m out, and check your map to see if they are friendly or not...

FFG is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-10, 16:17   #14
tankninja1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG View Post
Its not that hard to see people 500m out, and check your map to see if they are friendly or not...
I disagree it is quite hard to see infantry at 500m and to be able to tell if they are friendly or not. I mean for one thing with the exception of some desert and winter maps you usually can't see more than 500m. But also because the enemies tend to be mixed in with friendlies and it helps a lot if you are trying to help another friendly squad if you can get an actual idea of what the enemy is doing rather than trying to ordain the difference between two slightly different shades of green are doing running in circles around a foxhole.

I really don't see why people are so obstinate to the idea. It can only benefit gameplay by giving people access to more optics, specifically if they don't already have it.

tankninja1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-13, 02:32   #15
Murphy

If friendlies and enemies are mixed and reading a map isn't your "thing" how about closing the distance? The whole issue is you are TRYING to see enemies further than it is effective to engage. The concept of bushes and buildings is to close the 500m and bring the battle into a space in which heavy assets cannot simply dominate infantry. If you want big open engagements there are a handful of maps that offer optics to regular infantry, but not every map and faction is designed to accommodate long range firefights.

Everyone having binos hurts gameplay in many ways, to believe it ONLY benefits gameplay is flat out wrong. Sure it's easier for the individual to ID possible targets but again why are you shooting at someone that far away - he will likely just find cover and you end up giving your entire squads position away because you saw an enemy circling a trench with a friendly.

Murphy is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
binocularsagain