project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
23 Oct 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Old 2014-09-10, 03:14   #81
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: BaE unveils FRES-SV candidate

Ye, I'm guessing that is the normal effective range of the weapon since firing any further and then like a sniper, you have to factor in things like cross windage, curvature of the earth (although that is most likley counted for in the targeting computer when you lase the target) etc those things can easily throw off the targeting at those extreme ranges.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-11, 19:33   #82
Xander[nl]
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Xander[nl]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim270 View Post
Can anyone shed some light on why javelins being turret mounted/fired is only recently come about? No battle need or technical problems?
I'd be interested in the answer to this question too.

Perhaps it's doctrine; are IVF meant to be able to operate alone or do they always work together with tanks and/or infantry (with ATGM) for anti-tank protection. Not everyone has a defense budget as large as the US' or Russia's to be able to mount expensive ATGM launchers on every vehicle. I don't know. Same like I've always wondered why they bothered inventing so many ATGMs instead of simply mounting Hellfires on every vehicle.
Xander[nl] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-11, 21:17   #83
[R-COM]Hulabi
FDF Faction Lead
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander[nl] View Post
I'd be interested in the answer to this question too.

Perhaps it's doctrine; are IVF meant to be able to operate alone or do they always work together with tanks and/or infantry (with ATGM) for anti-tank protection. Not everyone has a defense budget as large as the US' or Russia's to be able to mount expensive ATGM launchers on every vehicle. I don't know. Same like I've always wondered why they bothered inventing so many ATGMs instead of simply mounting Hellfires on every vehicle.
IFV's support infantry and the infantry supports the IFV, they always move together. Think of the IFV as an extra squad member with a bigass autocannon and optics.

Tank companies are often assigned at least one mechanized infantry platoon to support them, so you have 9-12 tanks and at least 4 IFVs (+ dismount infantry). Or you can have a mech inf unit reinforced with battle tanks, either way, point being that they all support each other.

FDF Looking for Modellers, Mappers, Texture artists and Exporters!
#fdfpr @ QuakeNet or PM Hulabi
Hulabi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-30, 14:55   #84
[R-DEV]​camo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
And for a history of just how convoluted and badly this programme has been run, look here.
3 years on and another update on that document.

British Army Medium Weight Capability - Think Defence

Guess i'll bump the thread in another 3 years...

camo is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
200, bae, candidate, creates, deal, fressv, jobs, light, newbridge, tank, unveils