project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
03 Oct 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

View Poll Results: Should night layers/maps be removed?
Yes 14 32.56%
No 18 41.86%
Add more night maps 11 25.58%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2021-12-29, 12:59   #41
Grump/Gump.45

Default Re: Remove Night Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz7 View Post
That would work yes, would also mean no full moon nights etc.
This is how I want night maps to look and be, the darkness that I play in paintball. Minus the flashlights. Then the last 15 minutes of the video with the Vietnam night combat veteran how he describes it. Complete darkness. The only light should be flares, maybe a star shell request from mortars, muzzle flashes and seeing silhouettes 10 meters in front of you. Keep combat directed by flags. You can lay in ambush camouflaged letting enemy walk right by you.

I wonder if looking at a dark screen realistically looking like the pitch black of night, would have players start seeing fake shadows moving in the dark as an optical illusion or apart of real life sleep deprivation.

If the main video link doesnt work just use this one as example how it should look, minus the flashlight. Guess the other one needs to be scheduled for release. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5aeHXo55PQ

Last edited by Grump/Gump.45; 2021-12-29 at 19:44..
Old 2021-12-29, 16:52   #42
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump/Gump.45 View Post
This is how I want night maps to look and be, the darkness that I play in paintball. Minus the flashlights. Then the last 15 minutes of the video with the Vietnam night combat veteran how he describes it. Complete darkness. The only light should be flares, maybe a star shell request from mortars, muzzle flashes and seeing silhouettes 10 meters in front of you. Keep combat directed by flags. You can lay in ambush camouflaged letting enemy walk right by you.

I wonder if looking at a dark screen realistically looking like the pitch black of night, would have players start seeing fake shadows moving in the dark as an optical illusion or apart of real life sleep deprivation.

So, you're saying that to you, complete darkness looks like a medium gray with the words "This video is unavailable" floating in the air?

(lol - j/k -- your video link is broken)

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-30, 12:36   #43
[R-CON]​LangMaster
PR:BF2 Contributor

I wonder if it possible to steal the thermal or nvgs system from vehicles and put them into a usable kit for infantry.

LangMaster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-30, 13:13   #44
PeppeJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LangMaster View Post
I wonder if it possible to steal the thermal or nvgs system from vehicles and put them into a usable kit for infantry.
BF2 Special Forces literally shipped with night vision goggles

PeppeJ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-30, 14:11   #45
[R-DEV]​Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppeJ View Post
BF2 Special Forces literally shipped with night vision goggles
Those come with a bunch of shader related issues.

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-30, 21:20   #46
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz7 View Post
Those come with a bunch of shader related issues.
Would be nice to see screenshots of the NVG issues in PR. Maybe its realistic as you can get for the engine or can be tweaked to look more realistic if it doesn't already. There will still be darker areas giving depth to what is seen through it. Shadow is what gives depth in mono color whether you are sketching/shading with a pencil or overlaying a different spectrum overview.

Unless there is other complications with adding NVG too. I'm more interested in just making it darker for the night maps. It would simulate the panic and need for leadership at night.

Pitch black would be the ideal preferred for true night broken by explosions, flares and muzzle flash. I consider what we have as dusk, dawn, moon lit and light polluted maps from a hypothetical nearby city. Falklands is by far the darkest and captures the lack of light pollution on an isolated island. That loading screen is "who turn out the lights?. Go Falklands dark for jungle open areas then the woods pitch black dark.

Its scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7mwcHNh5aI&t=38s

Fools road could be made darker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7aXnwc1gqY&t=11s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBc_XYtqLfA
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-31, 12:13   #47
Coalz101

WE DON'T NEED NIGHT VISION!
Especially on Insurgency maps it will just make conventional factions all the more powerful.
It won't even make a difference with conventional factions vs conventional factions when everyone and their grand kids have nightvision technology. Devs have bigger priorities than this. Like prepping for 1.7 in 2025.

Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-01, 15:17   #48
[R-CON]​LangMaster
PR:BF2 Contributor

Man y'all are toxic as hell, game is free and might as well be thankful.
and even if NVGs were a thing there is always a way to balance things out.

LangMaster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-06, 00:37   #49
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalz101 View Post
WE DON'T NEED NIGHT VISION!
Like prepping for 1.7 in 2025.
Boiiii... PR 1.7 came out like the next day after you said this. They have been doing major updates every 2 years since at least when I started playing, no idea about before.

I would like to see all possibilities, how pitch black dark they could make it with no NVGs, then with NVGs against NVGs. Then NVG vs no NVG. Lots of things could be done to PR night combat situationally.

Hypothetically speaking, no idea what capability it has to be implemented and they likely have no intention to. Night vision against insurgents would be awesome and I am saying this as somebody who plays as INS 99.9% of time, just take away the APCs and have it be infantry. I would like to see weather affect the APC thermals at some point.

Put the fear of "men with green eyes" into them as the Iraqis called the special forces during their night raids. 1 cache could be known at a time in this night layout because of the extreme advantage. I still believe daytime should be 1 cache too.

If the enemy fires using NVG they give off their position unless they use suppressors which IRL especially in special forces house clearing they will want suppressors so the flash doesn't blind them and its not going to make them go deaf. So naturally on a map like Al Basrah at night insurgents would have to draw, hold fire and enemy attention.

I would like layouts where the weapons change set ups based on IRL. At times they had entire units using suppressors which reported increased communication, reduced dust kick up from muzzle blast, contained muzzle flash completely in longer suppressors and helped identifying friendly forces locations by sound of guns.

It reduced the early warning of gunfire for insurgents up to 500 meters away in urban areas, closer if completely masked by the sound location with other nearby louder things than suppressed guns. I can make a list of 1000 things suppressors can do to benefit. Only draw back I can thing of would be jungle warfare deciding between suppressor and bayonet for night time.

Many benefits to using suppressors. Why should the rancher having coyote issues wake up his neighbor at 2 AM in the middle of the got dang night when he could use a suppressor. The yipping coyotes will be louder.
Last edited by Grump/Gump.45; 2022-01-21 at 03:03..
Old 2022-01-24, 21:22   #50
dcm

I hate night maps. Because we have no night vision for infantry. The few night maps there are, are always dominated by thermals. I'm sick of it. Getting raped by an APC or TOW is bad enough. But on night maps where you cant see is even worse. Only tolerable night maps to me are WW2. But omaha night is not a good inf experience.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
maps, night, remove