project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
15 Sep 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2009-04-21, 11:39   #21
Jigsaw

Default Re: [Map] Hainan East [WIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandicci View Post
Hughjass. Great looking work. Main battle tanks in a semi-urban/industrialized setting is reminiscent of Karkand, where I cut my BF2 teeth. This will make for some interesting gameplay, on the one hand the chinese will want to neutralize the tanks and on the other the US will work to keep them operational. Somewhat like Qwai River but on a much larger scale and with more urban fighting. Great stuff.
Really? Karkand? Is that really the kind of gameplay we wanna see in PR? lol of all the vanilla BF2 maps surely that is the worst one you could think of. If this is anything like karkand i'll cry

That said, it does look like a nice environment im just not sure about the tanks. Guess that'll be Fuzz's call.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end... "
Jigsaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 11:48   #22
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

tanks are fine in urban areas, they are just much more vulnerable.

Last edited by IronTaxi; 2009-11-17 at 01:32..
Old 2009-04-21, 12:23   #23
chimpyang

It looks good, but looks not quite right. The place's major source of income is from tourism - mainly due to the fantastic weather that it has - it's essentially like the costa del sol to a cornish beach. So the sky looks a little too gloomy and "welcome to communista industrial heaven". Plus, if I was gonig to order an mainly INF attack against a known armour emplacement - I wouldn't do it in full daylight - a foggy day or early morning/evening is what would make sense.

Also the size of the city is a little underwhelming when you compare it to the size of the port it's got attached to it. Something more the ratio of muttrah to it's docks would look better. I realise probably not everything is in place yet but consider expanding the city at leat into the spur of the map where you have put forested areas - just like on the sattelite image - it'll make a better more viable landing spot for the marine instead of getting owned from a tank camping there.

Last gripe is the bit's you've left to be field near to the docks....it doesn't seem particuarly realisitic that anyone would use the area for anyhting other than accomodation for the workers at the docks.

Anyhow, good work thus far, keep at it! It'll be good to see this in PR eventually.
Last edited by chimpyang; 2009-04-21 at 12:33..
Old 2009-04-21, 12:42   #24
Farks

Woooh...!! Looks effing awesome! One of the best community maps I've seen yet!
Farks is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 13:22   #25
Priby
Supporting Member

Youre mean! I wanted to map this!
Well a little bit more left of the map....but curse you!
atleast its looking good

Edit: Oh, wait...sorry for cursing you.
i meant this part
*hiding now, because of the shame*

Last edited by Priby; 2009-04-21 at 13:41..
Old 2009-04-21, 14:03   #26
RedAlertSF

BLUFOR defending and the map is great. I must be in heaven.
RedAlertSF is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 21:22   #27
162eRI

Hurra! I'm glad to see more pictures of your map!!! GJ
Really nice job, we can really "feel" the Asian atmospher. IMO, the urband and wild enviroment look more realistic than other current Asian maps so far. I really like your map

I see you made some "fine tuning" about what I said for the little streets and signs/displays! It just looks perfect! With time, it would be even better if you can get more real static signs as "Project Reality" everywhere looks strange hahaha.

Also, could you add sidewalks in the main street (where there are all the shops?). The best would be to paint the borders of the sidewalks in Black and White.
I know it's kinda impossible without statics to make this >
http://jonathanstray.com/wp-content/...g-sidewalk.jpg
http://davidinjapan.files.wordpress..../07/gutter.jpg

For exemple here we can perfectly imagine a covered gutter (drainage pit covered).
http://i41.tinypic.com/1gm0zt.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/efffqu.jpg
The static: in fact juste a just a band covered with a cement plates textured with fake holes in for the water. Can't find better picture as this one is really crappy:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_HP1fSFULqMc/SY...E/DSCF9466.JPG

This are just looking perfectly fine! I can already hear the moskitos coming ^_^
http://i44.tinypic.com/1254d1w.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/121x1td.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/33kaumf.jpg

Cheers and good luck
PS: Oh my! My English is worst than ever. Sorry for that, I'm pretty tired tonight...
Old 2009-04-22, 13:42   #28
chimpyang

I'm sorry, but the gutter feature isn't really a chinese one.

The reference pictures are not of china - unsure what the first one is but the second one is definately japan - how do I know? The roads are far too clean!

Chinese gutter if anyhting are like western style gutters but often blocked and sometime there are none at all - after particuarly heavy rain fall you can get huge collections of water in the road - I can attest to that - having to run through it once ankle high to get a taxi.

Also - chinese roads are very different to western roads - the big major roads in a city (note i didnt use the word main) dont have shops open out onto them directly - usually there is a wide pavement (usually wide enough to drive a car down) with a tributary road running parallel to the major road for bicycles.

:Pavement: Cycle lane (wide enough for a car at least, comes with overhead traffic lights): Road:Road:Cycle Lane: Pavement.

This would obviously make the road very difficult to cross in a firefight but that's how reality is.

This pic is from my home town - showing you just over half the road :

Here's a better one, none of these are by me but of the whole road

Also, as you've probably figured, chinese people dont really do roundabouts too well - instead we have lots of policeman controlled crossroads.

And for minor roads in less well off areas? Well, some are like this - many are worse - with not even being concreted.
chimpyang is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 18:48   #29
AnRK
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
tanks are fine in urban areas, they are just much more venerable.
Yeah their spirituality really shines through in built up places

Nice to see an East Asian urban map at last, hasn't been one for a while that I've seen at least. Looking really cool so far man.
AnRK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 21:14   #30
162eRI

Quote:
I'm sorry, but the gutter feature isn't really a chinese one.
I didn't know, thanks for the info. It's true I can't find Chinese pix of covered gutter but thought that it could be the case on Hainan island as almost all the Asian countries around get gutters.

Quote:
The reference pictures are not of china - unsure what the first one is but the second one is definately japan - how do I know? The roads are far too clean!
It was just pix i get to illustrate my words. The second one is, indeed, Japanese. It's far too clean to be any where else LOL

Quote:
Chinese gutter if anyhting are like western style gutters but often blocked and sometime there are none at all - after particuarly heavy rain fall you can get huge collections of water in the road - I can attest to that - having to run through it once ankle high to get a taxi.
That's what I thought about. This pictures is not from China and the covered gutter is really crappy, but well >
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_HP1fSFULqMc/SY...E/DSCF9466.JPG

Quote:
Also - chinese roads are very different to western roads - the big major roads in a city (note i didnt use the word main) dont have shops open out onto them directly - usually there is a wide pavement (usually wide enough to drive a car down) with a tributary road running parallel to the major road for bicycles.
Yeah, it would be nice. But I think only for the main road no? As it's only for big cities or little as well?
Isn't there any real pix of cities in Hainan?

Quote:
And for minor roads in less well off areas? Well, some are like this - many are worse - with not even being
Agree with you, and I guess it's easy to make?!

And I found this > PLAN base in Hainan (?)

Quote:
The communist Chinese People's Liberation Army is building an underground nuclear submarine base near Sanya on Hainan Island. It is reported to be a "vast, James Bond-style edifice capable of concealing up to 20 nuclear-powered submarines, which will enable China to project its power across the region."
Don't think the webiste is that much accurate
The Jawa Report: 'Secret' Chinese Submarine Base on Hainan Island

Tags
4km, east, hainan, map, planm, usmc, wip