project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
19 Sep 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2014-02-13, 18:52   #201
pr|Zer0

Default Re: [Map] Madain Invasion (2km) [WIP]

while you do that, have an eye for floaters, missalignments and things like that... kill as many birds you can with one stone. Learn this hard way with my map.

LE Just realized that that fields SS you posted is a fields static, is not OG generated

pr|Zer0 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-14, 14:34   #202
pr|Zer0

Map feedback now.

First thing I've noticed... you need to create a map specific localization file, called for example pr_madain.utxt(which will be placed in mods/pr/localization/english) and add there all the flags and their aliases so the player in game will see the flag alias, not the strange looking flag name code.
Its better to create a separate file than to append the original prmaps.utxt. This way, the guys testing your map will not have to mess with the original pr files and it will be easier for them to uninstall the map files.

Ok, been there and heres my feedback ( I am short on time, so bear with me, It's been a flash test).

1. You seem to use very little or no road intersection at all, and this is very odd looking. You use pavedlane road template and for that are road intersections to use (they are as statics and I think they are located in pr/roads in the editor)

There are some awkward wall closures like closing an ark with a brickwall, and that looks strange:

Do not use russian apartments on a middle east map. Its not good for the client performance ( too expensive for little gain). Theres a topic somewhere explaining that its a good idea to use middle east statics on a middle east specific map, regarding server performance. All middle east statics use the same texture palletes.

This water is killing my eyes. Just copy the water.con from any map you like and use it on you map

I am afraid you need to rethink the plane crash area, or maybe move it outside the city. ATM we ahve no statics to at least try to replicate at a minimum realistic level a plane crash inside a buildup area. Its just looks artificial.

Imaginative, but whats behind it? it looks very odd

You use a lot of burning wrecks with fire&smoke effects. You need to alter the terrain arround the wreck to simulate an explosion and stuff like that. On the map, terrain looks mint

I think it would be a good idea to increase the top tiling on this texture, it will make it look better

You need to create a file called tmp.con in your server.zip and on that file add one of the following values
terrainculler.basecellsize 256
test which value suits best and use it. Terrain morphing its just terrible. SS below show the same area, 50 or 60 m apart

You have a lot of open areas like the following

Poor talibans will have no chance against US, being asymmetrical as it can be. Simply, it needs more cover inside the city. Think at op marlin. That city is a bluefor nightmare.

now, you have a lot of work ahead, and more over, being the fact is getting tested, things are getting serious. You've done a good job so far.

Last edited by pr|Zer0; 2014-02-17 at 11:39..
Old 2014-02-14, 15:29   #203
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

It's not just better, it's a golden rule. Never alter any original files. Not bf2,not PR. This includes zip files, localization,... everything. You really screw up the files of whoever you share your map with.

Mineral is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-14, 19:55   #204
waldov

Remember that in the end of the day the Blufor will have to cross those open areas as well, so it goes both ways.

waldov is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-14, 20:18   #205
rodrigoma

blufor dont normally have to deal with tanks/apc's with thermals, cas, and scoped automatic weapons when crossing a street.
rodrigoma is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 01:12   #206
waldov

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]rodrigoma View Post
blufor dont normally have to deal with tanks/apc's with thermals, cas, and scoped automatic weapons when crossing a street.
true, but they still will face sniper fire, grenades, automatic weapons etc. and once the Blufor penetrate the first line of defense they will no longer have covering fire from there APCs etc.

waldov is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 06:56   #207
pr|Zer0

oh boy...micro tactics
point is to try to cut their scope advantage by getting them close, and he can do that by crowding the buildings a bit more. And also, cover when crossing a wide opened street works for both teams. No one likes being mowed down when crossing a 100m wide opened city area with little or no cover

pr|Zer0 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 15:22   #208
The_Turkish_Moose
Supporting Member

Thanks for the feed back - I'll make some of the changes one by one but just remember, I'm still changing the terrain and adding objects so it will look better!
The_Turkish_Moose is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 10:49   #209
mries
Supporting Member

Any progression on this map?

mries is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 21:23   #210
The_Turkish_Moose
Supporting Member

Quote:
Any progression on this map?
I'd be lying if I said yes. I made the rookie mistake of working on various maps. For each one I start, I begin to like the other maps more and more and begin to forget about the older maps like this. I have about 3 big maps with potential and 1 CQB map I'm working on now. Will I ever finish this map? Maybe - maybe not! Any progress will most definitely be posted here!
The_Turkish_Moose is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
2km, invasion, madain, map, wip