project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
21 May 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
RepealThe19th

Cool Bullet penetration, hear enemies in local chat, and other stuff

I want to discuss 3 main things, and I'm curious about a couple other things that I haven't been able to read about through Googling.

1. Ability to hear enemies in local chat
2. Bullet penetration
3. Delayed sound effects based on distance

This is just my take on these subjects, feel free to skip everything below and just let me know your thoughts. I just want a discussion on these things.

I have limited programming experience and I understand certain things are limited by the engine, or have unintended consequences. I will try to address those, and I know that these things have been discussed ad nauseam but I'm trying to sell these things as a package deal, which (opinion alert) could spice the game up quite a bit - and maybe bring more people in to play, which we could use

Shooting motherfuckers through walls
Bullet penetration is already semi-implemented from my understanding. However, I would like to argue in favor of implementing full "dumb" bullet penetration, allowing bullets from assault rifles to pierce through multiple surfaces as they do in real life, even if that comes with its share of bugs. Bullets do strange things in real life, perhaps bullets can deviate once they go through a surface (and have the bullet's force and deviation simply determined by the thickness of the material it is going through). Implementing a "dumb" bullet penetration system would lead to all kinds of bugs with shooting through rocks and various other things, but bullets will go through a surprising amount of stuff in real life - I can cite countless videos if anyone wants to argue that. Even if they don't go through something, they will often deviate and still cause some damage to what they hit. I would even let bullets go through all non-armored vehicles. Personally I would limit the bullet penetration system to weapons capable of over-penetration in real life, like assault rifles/some shotguns/light machine guns/etc. My main point here is that the material shouldn't matter, the bullet should be able to go through half a foot of basically anything. Making sure bullets react to each individual material properly is a cunt, and I understand. (Opinion alert) The more brutal the game is, the better, which leads me to...

Psychological warfare
The ability to both shit-talk and scare the living shit out of your enemy while on the battlefield. I would fucking love if we allowed everyone to hear each other in local chat. This could be implemented very easily, and I'm sure there are good reasons why it is isn't currently, but I'd like to argue the benefits (and general hilarity) outweigh the negatives. An argument I've seen is that people will just move to Discord or other VOIP services to avoid giving away their position through local chat. Reality is, you are nowhere near an enemy 90% of the time and you could rely on squad chat, or even literally speaking quietly while closer to your teammates while you are close to enemies. Maybe there could be a "quiet local chat" or "whisper" button, with a very limited range. In the heat of battle with everyone talking and weapons going off, it will be almost impossible to tell when enemies are talking down the street or whatever anyway. Enemy names when speaking in local chat could either show up as red/orange text, or they could not show up at all, that is up to the developers. Think about how much this would spice up stealth missions, and you could probably gather some interesting intel to report back through listening in local chat. That could be viewed as an argument against it, but fuck it I think it's too interesting of a concept to dismiss so easily. If you read all of this, thanks and let me know what you think/know.

Lastly I was curious, are sounds delayed by how far you are from the source? It seems like they aren't, which doesn't sound like something impossible to implement.

"If 9/11 happened, where's all the evidence??!"
-Albert Einstein
RepealThe19th is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:49 AM   #2
[R-DEV]AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
Default Re: Bullet penetration, hear enemies in local chat, and other stuff

1. Absolutely never.

2. Already exists.

3. Already exists.
[R-DEV]AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
GAJAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AlonTavor View Post
1. Absolutely never.

2. Already exists.

3. Already exists.
1. What if by pressing enemies on local speak key, automaticaly we (frendlies) hear some words from (faction) sounds which they are in the game...
GAJAN is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
Frontliner
Project Reality Beta Tester

Alon is actually wrong on number one. We had local all-chat in game, and it didn't work out that well because it punished people attempting to work together.

This is especially important for the squads of random people. Whereas Clans and communities have TS and Discord for them to play with, randoms will have to resort to squad and local. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going to happen if a random squad stuck with local comms has to go up against a veteran squad that uses TS.

ArkUTD: Do note this issue was resolved by the admin team and mats, thus this was closed
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
Hunter291

Devs cant be wrong front and he's not wrong.
Hunter291 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
SShadowFox

Alon has been around for quite long and I'm pretty sure he knows it was possible to hear enemies on local chat when Mumble started being used for PR. I just think he means that's never gonna happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAJAN View Post
1. What if by pressing enemies on local speak key, automaticaly we (frendlies) hear some words from (faction) sounds which they are in the game...
I take it you mean that when you press the local chat key you generate a sound from the commo rose (such as "go go go" or "roger that") that the enemy could hear. If that's the case I don't think it is possible, and even if it were, it would lead to the same issue Frontliner described.

[R-DEV]Spec:The suggestion is not accepted, I merely wanted to comment.
SShadowFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
qs-racer
Supporting Member

Years ago, when mumble was an option and in test, the team weren't automatically assign.
Meaning ghosting in local, trolling when you are dead to annoy ennemy.

qs-racer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #8
[R-DEV]Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qs-racer View Post
Years ago, when mumble was an option and in test, the team weren't automatically assign.
Meaning ghosting in local, trolling when you are dead to annoy ennemy.
That and what Frontliner said, "bypassing" a local all-chat Mumble by using a third party app like TeamSpeak.

Collision penetration is in, just not used often.

[R-DEV]Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:00 AM   #9
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Wait, you can't talk to enemies, what the fuck have I been doing with my life..

Mumble used to be like teamspeak with some addon, so sometimes teams would share the same channel, cept the SL channel ofc. Mostly this was during events or special servers.

Funtimes. But yeah.. It worked when we had the ingame squad VOIP system ontop of the local mumble, so you could shittalk the enemy, and keep squad comms in the VOIP.

I don't think the Squad Radio now has a duplicate channel, so in essence it would be possible to use it, but whenever you have a 2nd squad near you, which you wanna cooperate with, you are forced to use local..

So yeah I would say the best thing is to not allow local comms..

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
X-Alt

I've routinely switched local channels for the past 5 years. The last server to deny access was HOG with the release of 1.5.4.0

Merge mumbles tbh
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, chat, enemies, hear, local, penetration, stuff