project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > Project Reality News
21 Oct 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Project Reality News Project Reality news releases and announcements.

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-12, 14:19   #31
Malchuth
Default Re: Rememberance/Veterans Day 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatters View Post
PR has a fantastic and unparalleled community of very like-minded players, however our nationalities and ideologies vary a lot. Therefore this is not perhaps the best place to be overly patriotic or a zealous advocate of any ideology.
This.
I know the way "Im2limp4urMom" brought forward this subject wasn't really the way to do it to be taken seriously. But yes. This is really "just" a game - especially with all those factions from all those different countries which represent so many different beliefs other than christianity. E.g. I think TKing someone from an arabic country, being a muslim INGAME who does neither believe in this symbol nor in the sacrifice/duty/meaning of this specific country's military... is very intolerant and i would even say arrogant. I'm really a bit baffled by these responses. I don't like politicizing this game - even if its a war game. I play it for the tactics but am totally a pacifist. Even if I were not. Keep in mind that you are on one side of this - there's always another which you are likely to encounter in such a big global community. And when these differences collide ingame (which kind of gets provoced imho as stated before) what we have is an argument when instead before we had just people playing together as a team where one's political views didn't matter.

I hope you get my point.
Old 2011-11-12, 14:31   #32
KiNg828

Anyone who died in battle for their country, foreign or not deserves to be treated with respect. Beliefs aside. Its a good gesture from the people who made this game for you to play to respect the troops a lot of them know who have fought and been maimed in battle. If you don't like it, dont go near it. Simple.

Old 2011-11-12, 15:04   #33
Tarranauha200

With same logic, any muslim could TK you if you do something "wrong" in muttarah mosque, any christian could tk you if you do something "wrong" next to the silent eagle cruch.

Just treat it as a ingame objective that has been added there for realism. Calm and neutral are the words of the day.
Old 2011-11-12, 17:09   #34
Malchuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNg828 View Post
Anyone who died in battle for their country, foreign or not deserves to be treated with respect. Beliefs aside. Its a good gesture from the people who made this game for you to play to respect the troops a lot of them know who have fought and been maimed in battle. If you don't like it, dont go near it. Simple.
You see, I know a lot of people who would - respectfully (!) - disagree with you.
First: The view you have is definitely not the one everyone else around this world has. Especially if it's about American (or British) soldiers. You can't argue that it's not biased by a western view. It's a rare thing to see someone treat the foreign enemy's death with the same respect as his own nation's soldier. It's not only a matter of etiquette like you hint.
And second: Of course I respect people who died (for any cause), but for me respecting the mission or reason of their death is something entirely different . The sense in memorials (especially if it has statues/figures - just think of the Iwo Jima memorial) is not only to remind people of the victims (especially not on both sides) but also of the military cause. And I - like many others - find the causes of todays wars very problematic and arguably. There is never a right or wrong side in war. Not one side to respect and the other to neglect. Just death of innocent people on both sides. And you can argue how

I don't have a problem with "simply" passing by any statue ingame. The problems start if a) people start bullying other people due to their viewpoints or b) suddenly one fraction in PR starts getting "honored" ingame more then all the other ractions. Then you have a clear bias and are on your way to get closer to "America's Army" - which is just American military propaganda. I for one love PR for it's multinational community and all the factions but fear for it if suddenly there will be honored or unhonored, good or wrong sides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarranauha200 View Post
With same logic, any muslim could TK you if you do something "wrong" in muttarah mosque, any christian could tk you if you do something "wrong" next to the silent eagle cruch.

Just treat it as a ingame objective that has been added there for realism. Calm and neutral are the words of the day.
Exactly, that's my point. Let's set our international differences aside and just play. Without bias. Calm and neutral.
Old 2011-11-12, 17:37   #35
KiNg828

I dont like the people saying there gona tk people over it dont get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with it being there though and if people wanna be stupid about it then well, there stupid.

Old 2011-11-12, 22:14   #36
engels

Totally inappropriate, a game that brings people from around the world with different ideologies is not the place to discuss this sort of thing. For a person who does not support this conflict is really annoying, not to mention that nobody even mentioned that in both sides were killed human beings, much worse, most of them civilians, mothers, fathers, sons and daughters.
Such things have to be taken with utmost respect and caution. Again, I'm not attacking anyone, but I do not think this is the place to discuss these things.

Have a fantastic PR and Unparalleled community of very like-minded players, howeve our Nationalities and Ideologies Vary a lot. Therefor this is not Perhaps the best place to be overly patriotic or a zealous advocate of Any Ideology.

This ^^

I apologize for any grammatical errors

Regards, Mauricio
Old 2011-11-12, 22:54   #37
James2464

so any idea when abouts we will see this map released???
Old 2011-11-12, 23:02   #38
Tarranauha200

*patientbear.jpg*

It will be released when it is released.
Old 2011-11-12, 23:25   #39
[R-MOD]Spec
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engels View Post
Totally inappropriate, a game that brings people from around the world with different ideologies is not the place to discuss this sort of thing. For a person who does not support this conflict is really annoying, not to mention that nobody even mentioned that in both sides were killed human beings, much worse, most of them civilians, mothers, fathers, sons and daughters.
Such things have to be taken with utmost respect and caution. Again, I'm not attacking anyone, but I do not think this is the place to discuss these things.

Have a fantastic PR and Unparalleled community of very like-minded players, howeve our Nationalities and Ideologies Vary a lot. Therefor this is not Perhaps the best place to be overly patriotic or a zealous advocate of Any Ideology.

This ^^

I apologize for any grammatical errors

Regards, Mauricio
I'm sorry if you are for some reason offended, but please understand that this community has a lot of active or formerly active service members of, for the most part, NATO states, and as such, it's not a surprise at all to see such threads. It is indeed a good place for a thread like this; while there are community members who disagree with the celebration of Veterans day probably, the core of the community does not.

I'd also like to mention that we do not try to deny the fact that war results in the loss of human life, on both sides, and we, the moderators, will take action against people who, for example, claim that one, any, of the parties involved in a conflict, current or past, would not be human, mothers, fathers, children etc. We are aware of that, and we respect the loss of every life, especially civilians.

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Old 2011-11-12, 23:46   #40
WelshManDan
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engels View Post
For a person who does not support this conflict is really annoying,
Rememberance Day is for Veterans of any war, current or historic. Doesnt matter if you dont support the current conflict or not, you should always support the people, no different to you or me, that decided to place their life on the line to carry out the duty bestowed upon them by our Countries Forces. Joining the army isnt a simple job you can say people join for money - it takes a degree of bravery almost unparralled in any job elsewhere (except maybe the Fire Department and similar EMS).

We also remember the soldiers who died in the Falklands (did you support that war?), Korea, WWII and WWI.

In my eyes, a hero is someone who puts their life on the line for their country, not because of their heroic actions.

It takes a brave hero to enter a fight, doesnt matter upon what happens during it, and they will always leave it as a hero too. It takes a brave man to fight against other brave men, and thats wherein Heroes are defined.

Respect to the Devs for this, as a team of so many nationalities itself, I believe it shows a sign of respect unparralled by any dev team currently out their.

Lest we forget the Heroes or any war, who fought for any country, Allied, or Enemy.
Closed Thread

Tags
2011, day, rememberance or veterans