project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
15 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-24, 13:41   #31
temexter
Supporting Member

Default Re: PR 128 testing status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicca View Post
As far as i understood, he bought new hardware and the total cost with the new hardware, running the server and internet stuff was 500 dollars.

I might be wrong though.
You are all wrong. Stop the BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyboyz View Post
You guys are all saying shit about the money and all... I want soppa himself to post something on these forums... Only this, will make me believe the rent is 500 per month.
Quoting SOPPA:
Quote:
Donations are only to cover even tiny piece of operating costs.
Datacenter costs are 90eur/each rack unit + taxes and I can ensure sisu takes more than 1 unit

Anyway I'm happy if I can get back 100e/month.
Seems most donations are coming from bf2v community, but its not even a close of 100eur
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f29...ml#post1621895
And quoting myself (written 09-26-2011, 04:01 PM):
Quote:
Originally Posted by temexter View Post
Most of us do not have 1Gb/s internet connection in our closets nor h/w like that

Moreover SISU is running on a dedicated server located in service providers data centre. A server rack slot costs something like 90e/month not to mention the price of the rig.
One does not need detective work as simple googling for kompassi.com will tell that:
"kompassi.com is established in 1999, the server system, which is designed to provide users with a stable and inexpensive server solution for different needs.
Users are mainly private enthusiasts, clubs and associations."
Source: Google. I see Soppa is running this business grade service alomg with others just as a hobby for PR 128 testing - and as most of us know he's made 128 possible with Tema. For the PR community.

Anyroad, what i've understood and i see is if the cost is is too high and community is not willing to contribute 100e/month, the server will go down. IMO if it would be running PR 24/7 more peps would be ready to contribute.

For 128 testing, adequate server resorces is needed as wll as fast internet connection. IMO it doesn,t need to be "industry grade" with halon fire extuingishing system, diesel generators, UPS's and fault tolerant h/w and redundant ISP connections.

Summa summarum, if one has adequate h/w and connection, PR Management allows one to use 128 code and community is not willing to pay for SISU, just go for it...
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f29...ml#post1671720

So please stop irrelevant speculation (without knowing how things are).

And for the second time: keep to the issue!

Which still is the questions in OP, still lacking answers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by temexter View Post
  • What's going on with >64 player testing, if anything at all?
  • What are PR management teams' plans? Still going for 128?
  • Does PR Management have access to 128 code?
  • Is the 128 code available for PR community closed testing?
  • While SISU apparently does not run tests anymore 'cause of lack of donations, will we see some arrangement for other server?
  • If yes to above, can some willing voluntary instance offer a server for 128 testing?

Old 2011-11-24, 14:47   #32
Doc.Pock

Calm down temexter lol
Old 2011-11-24, 16:52   #33
Cassius
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mati140 View Post
If so much money is needed then I wouldn't mind if they made some official, monthly payments, go on - but first make the 256p stable. If I had to pay for it like for MMO - then make it real MMO Warfare Simulation with an entire army on each side. That's what I would like PR to be - battles between armies with realistic "density" of units and fights, instead of sporadic firefights between singular squads or soldiers on giant, unused space of 4km maps.

But 128 is too small for me to pay for it - Soppa and company should make the code available to public bc ppl will rather play 64 than pay. Unless he menages to make a stable 256 or even 512p server...
It depends on how much money we are talking. If 500 Players donate for a year its 12 bucks per person, assuming server costs are really 500 Euros a month. Everybody can pay that. He does not seem to know the figure for sure, it might be less than that. 12 - 30 bucks a year for a 128 ppl server Friday through Monday sound very reasonable to me.

Now the 500 Euro figure seems to be for all servers, including vBF2 Servers. Maybe somebody could give us the numbers on the monthly cost per Server and person assuming its split between 128 players.

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Last edited by Cassius; 2011-11-24 at 16:59..
Old 2011-11-24, 17:00   #34
LieutenantNessie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Pock View Post
Calm down temexter lol
Why should he? As there is loads of people giving wrong information without any knowledge
Old 2011-11-24, 18:29   #35
manligheten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieutenantNessie View Post
Why should he? As there is loads of people giving wrong information without any knowledge
Knowledge about what? There are like 50 empty servers running at any given moment. Money can't be the problem. Especially not if you take the time to dissemble the binaries. There is a human factor somewhere, which made texmexer start this thread to begin with. Are the DEVs working on it? Have Soppa moved on to other projects instead, etc.

EDIT: Like https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10...ml#post1679491
Last edited by manligheten; 2011-11-24 at 18:35..
Old 2011-11-24, 18:55   #36
Tiger1
Supporting Member

I already donated 60 euros once for the server to run one weekend. Tiger Platoon is now looking at donating a set amount of money towards the 120 player server every month for it to be up on friday, saturday and sundays.

If we are able to do this so are other clans, groups or communities for sure. Step forward gentlemen and do something for this community. Do your part, we have many great possibilities with this 126 player PR server which potentially could rise to even more slots.
Old 2011-11-24, 19:46   #37
Cassius
Supporting Member

Maybe they should like sell tickets. 12 Euros gets you access for a year. One full Server would be 1200+ Euros right there. People would donate more willingly a small ammount if they could be more certain that others will donate as well and a target will be reached, rather than shelling out upwards of 30 Euros and having the server die anyway because not enough people contribute.

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Last edited by Cassius; 2011-11-24 at 19:52..
Old 2011-11-24, 23:28   #38
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

I pay like 100 euroes for 24 gb of ram and hexacore 3.4? With unlimited bandwith... What is this 500 dollars?

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Old 2011-11-25, 01:22   #39
Pvt.LHeureux
-

Many persons actually fear that the code would never be released and all that work would be lost, so mainly, people want the code, then other servers/clans could host their own 128 slots server.

Chuva_RD : You want to remove bugged thing but dont tell how to fill formed void.
Old 2011-11-25, 13:53   #40
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

What is currently happening though? Is it being worked on?

This is the single most major breakthrough since mumble, people want to know. I think we would just know if it has been scrapped or not.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Closed Thread

Tags
128, server, sisu, status, testing