project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
12 Aug 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2017-06-28, 01:33   #1
Nightfall
Default [Sounds] M9 preview + info on more sound work

Hello! I'm Nightfall, and I am a video game sound designer/audio engineer. I am working on some sounds for Project Reality with the goal of making things realistic, industry-standard levels/eq etc., and still able to influence excitement without sounding too "Hollywood" (hence the Reality part of things). I've been around and fired more firearms than I can even count, and I've recorded everything from the ocean waves to fighter jets flying 40 feet above ground level and all sorts of explosions and other loud sounds. I have worked on tons of mods and have had some of my free content used in games on Steam, including No More Room in Hell (2009-2012) and Space Pirate Trainer (2017).

My goal as explained above is to make things sound more realistic, more powerful, and just generally better where/when needed. This being said I admire and love the work of Anders, and he is an amazing sound designer. I've just noticed some things that could be changed here and there.

To start things off, I'd like to demonstrate one of the sounds I am working on in my spare time. The following video shows a first attempt at creating an interior firing sound for the M9. In real life, things tend to change quickly in the world of sound when firing in one environment versus another. Much of the time, when a firearm is fired indoors, the reverberation and immediate reflections around the shooter tend to significantly amplify the loudness and perception of the pressure wave emitted from such a powerful force. I try to demonstrate this chaotic effect in my video.

Content used to create these sounds comes from myself, zapsplat.com, and freesound.org. These are all permitted for use in my work.

P.S. The room tone for that area of the carrier was created via shoving a drum microphone inside my computer case and pointing a movie dialogue microphone at a vacuum motor, and then edited and manipulated beyond recognition :P.

*VOLUME WARNING*
Nightfall is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-28, 03:35   #2
[R-DEV]​camo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Sounds] M9 preview + info on more sound work

To my untrained ear that sounds pretty damn good, nice work!

camo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-28, 04:31   #3
Nightfall

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!
Old 2017-06-28, 04:52   #4
QuickLoad

haven't been to an indoor range in forever, but I can say the sounds are realistic.
still weird with my brain since i'm used to the 'pic pac pac pac pac' of the usual PR M9, instead of this 'POOF POOF POOF POOF'.

i like it
QuickLoad is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-28, 13:30   #5
mries
Supporting Member

I like it a lot! Sound is half of the immersion in a game.

Would love to hear more sounds, also more heavier guns for example.

mries is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-28, 15:01   #6
[R-DEV]​rPoXoTauJIo
Supporting Member

Good stuff to hear here.
Do you might consider to make m4\16\ak sound as they're more widely used in pr than m9?

assetruler69: I've seen things you smurfs wouldn't believe. Apaches on the Kashan. I watched burned down tank hulls after the launch of the single TOW. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to give up and respawn.
rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-28, 16:52   #7
Nightfall

Thanks for the nice comments, guys! I do plan on working on many other weapons (and will actually begin doing so later today after work.) In the world of game sound design, if you set a specific feel for the sound of one thing, it's usually a good idea to design the others in a way that acoustically accepts each other. I will be starting with the 16, m4 and 47 as mentioned above. I've fired all in person so thankfully I have a good reference Would it be best to post those in here once finished, or should I create a new thread with the new sounds?
Old 2017-06-28, 17:42   #8
[R-DEV]​rPoXoTauJIo
Supporting Member

Just post results here until suddenly you may become R-dude

assetruler69: I've seen things you smurfs wouldn't believe. Apaches on the Kashan. I watched burned down tank hulls after the launch of the single TOW. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to give up and respawn.
rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-28, 18:13   #9
CaptMiller

Yeeeeas good sound
CaptMiller is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-28, 18:18   #10
[R-DEV]​Mr.VdHeide

Awesome, this really sounds good. I like the powerful sound.

Also, can you maybe look into PR's .50 cal sounds? They are awful IMO.

D.J.

Mr.VdHeide is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
info, preview, sound, sounds, work